Please help me decide what's better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I am new to the forum and soon to be a first time ram owner. I am trying to decide between two different rams. They are almost exact in every way, price, mileage, year (2014) add ons, etc. The only real difference is one has a 4.7 V8 with 4x4 and the other has a 5.7 hemi but only 2wd.

I'm trying to figure out what's the better option to have 4x4 or hemi.

I won't be doing any off roading. We do get bad winters here though. And a few times a year I'll be towing a 28' travel trailer a few hundred km.

Any opinions would be great. Thank you
-Dave

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get the Hemi, you'll use it and smile from ear to ear all year long, while the 4x4 is only used intermittently. Just my 2cents.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
For sure get the Hemi, towing will wear out the 4.7 and struggle. Are you in a 2WD now?

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tough call. Both of those were requirements for me here in Colorado. Depending where you at you might be able to get by fine with 2wd, some weight on the rear wheels, and good tires.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Cannot go wrong with the Hemi and 4WD

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
IMO it wouldnt be either, want the Hemi and need the 4x4.

Same here, keep looking until you find the right truck. No way I would go without 4x4 if you have to drive in the snow/ice and towing a 28ft trailer you'll want the Hemi. I've had the 4.7 and it was a good truck but it was nothing like the Hemi.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
The 4.7 is a piece of crap. It has all of the fuel economy of the 5.7 with none of the power.

4x4 is great to have in the winter, but not really necessary. With a few hundred pounds of sand in the back, and some snow tires, you'll be fine on the average snow day.

Personally, I'd pass on both. What are your priorities? You want to tow a trailer that big, then you definitely don't want the 4.7 choker. You feel comfortable with a 2wd truck in the snow or do you want 4x4 for the few times you'll really need it?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The 4.7 is a piece of crap. It has all of the fuel economy of the 5.7 with none of the power.

4x4 is great to have in the winter, but not really necessary. With a few hundred pounds of sand in the back, and some snow tires, you'll be fine on the average snow day.

Personally, I'd pass on both. What are your priorities? You want to tow a trailer that big, then you definitely don't want the 4.7 choker. You feel comfortable with a 2wd truck in the snow or do you want 4x4 for the few times you'll really need it?

The 4.7. Is a fine engine. In 2014 it put put 330 Hp. Slightly less than the 3 Rd gen hemi. Not sure about the torque. The pitfall is if it didn't have proper maintenance, specifically reg oci with a good syn oil, the engine may have some sludge already formed. Bought a 2004 grand Cherokee limited new and used Mobil one at 5000 mile intervals. Traded at 230000 miles and ran like new.
Op, I agree with above depending on the weight of your trailer, you would be better off waiting and continue looking for the perfect truck for your needs.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
4x4 is worth more then the Hemi upgrade. Apples to apples, I would go for a 4x4. But, I would also look a little and see if I could get the same thing but maybe with a Hemi in for 1g more.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
The 4.7. Is a fine engine........... Traded at 230000 miles and ran like new.

Ditto.

I have the 4.7 in my old 2005 4x4 and it's been bulletproof. The only reason I'm shopping now is because I'm getting within a few years of retirement and want to pay down a new truck before I take the pay cut. I'd drive mine anywhere.

There are MANY stories of those 4.7's going FAR over 200,000 miles. I will never be without 4x4, and I'm in Southern Illinois.

Best of luck in your decision.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Also, what does the trailer weigh?

OP
OP
D

Daveb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love in ontario. I am used to driving a 2wd mazda 6. First time owning a truck. Unfortunately everything with both features is a little out of my price limit. The hemi comes with a set of snow tires. And I don't mind adding weight to the back.

Thank you for all the input. Gives me a lot to think about

OP
OP
D

Daveb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trailer is 7,000lbs dry weight

Rugged

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel your pain. I had two basic requirements when i got my truck. Hemi and 4x4 and it took me a long time and changing my budget to find it but I don't think it is something you can compromise on. I had the hemi 2wd magnum in Michigan and the traction control is very good but nothing works in real snow like 4wd.
If I had to make a choice and lived in snow country I would go 4x4 as the priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Honestly, i would also pass on both. A 28' tt is a sizeable trailer, and if it truly is 7000 lb dry that's probably over 8k loaded weight.

You will probably be over the payload ratings of both trucks. What is the weight limit on the yellow door jamb sticker for these trucks? Typically you want 12% tongue weight for a tt so you minimize trailer sway. At 8000lb that would be 960 lb in tongue weight alone, before you add the weight of passengers and cargo.

Check your weights again and let us know. That trailer, depending on your families weight combined and gear in the truck you want to bring could put you in 3/4 ton truck territory.

That's exactly why i bought my ram end of December and tradeda 2015 Silverado. The Silverado had 1704 lbs of pay. I would bet the trucks your looking at don't have that much.

Beyond that, personally i would not own a 2wd truck for many reasons. Good luck.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I love in ontario. I am used to driving a 2wd mazda 6. First time owning a truck. Unfortunately everything with both features is a little out of my price limit. The hemi comes with a set of snow tires. And I don't mind adding weight to the back.

Thank you for all the input. Gives me a lot to think about

Imho you are at the cusp of needing a 2500. Your trailer, a couple passengers and some gear will put you over the weight limit. Can't compare your front wheel drive Mazda to a 2 wheel drive truck, adding weight imho doesn't cut it.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Living in Canada there is no way I would not have a 4x4. Weight in the bed doesn't work up here where we get regular heavy snow falls.

Also, towing a 7000lb empty TT you will need more than the 4.7 v8. I would look at a minimum for a 5.7 Hemi with a 3.92 rear end for towing that much weight. If you are going to tow regularly or long distances a 2500 wouldn't be a bad idea.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had 2 dealers try to talk me out of getting a 4x4. I am in Texas but grew up in Northern New York (the real Northern NY, not Binghamton. lol) So it is burned into me to need a 4x4. The last truck I had was a 2wd and hated it. Get the 4x4 and the Hemi which I did and you wont regret. edit The dealers wanted me to get a 2wd because I was being very picky about all the other options and they couldn't locate any 4x4's. It took me about 2 months and a 3rd dealer to get everything I wanted.

Last edited: