Please help me decide what's better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
I don't know how some of you treat the skinny pedal, but I've done a good amount of driving in snow with 2WD and never had an issue. I don't even put my truck in 4WD unless I'm having a really hard time moving. When I had a 2WD truck, that was my only option, and some sand in the back definitely helped rear traction. It wasn't as much of a help as snow tires, but I'll take what I can get.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many dealerships do you live near because im sure you can get the best of both worlds (Hemi, and 4x4) if you look outside of the dealer your at. i refused to accept any Ram 1500 that didnt have these two things. i went an hour away from my home to a dealer in Reno, NV and i love having both Hemi and 4x4 well worth the trip. i know some people who have traveled to different states to get exactly what they wanted. good luck Mate

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I vote for the 2wd hemi. If it doesn't already have a limited slip rear diff have one installed. A 2wd with good tires and limited slip diff should get you through 90% of the stuff a 4x4 can under real world everyday conditions. Start getting into heavy off roading and all bets are off.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't know how some of you treat the skinny pedal, but I've done a good amount of driving in snow with 2WD and never had an issue. I don't even put my truck in 4WD unless I'm having a really hard time moving. When I had a 2WD truck, that was my only option, and some sand in the back definitely helped rear traction. It wasn't as much of a help as snow tires, but I'll take what I can get.

well, i am 59 and learned how to drive in the snow with the larger rear wheel drive cars of the late sixties and early seventies in far north jersey. so yeah, i have done a good amt of driving in 2wd. i still say, a 2wd drive p/u is far inferior traction wise to a 4x4. of course sand in the back helps, mostly for shoveling it out of the bed to get traction to get yourself unstuck.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HEMI

I have a 13 with hemi 4x4

work truck is a 4x4 with 4.7
Both quad cabs

after using work truck all day, get ino my personal truck I can tell a VERY BIG difference

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yeah the sand comes in handy to spread around when you get stuck :). Many of our dads taught us how to drive a 2WD in snow or mud. When younger I used to get my 60s vintage Mercury Comet into the hunting camp where all others, 4x4 or not, had to park at the bottom of the hill (and walk in about 4 miles). Skinny snow tires, no power, a feel for traction similar to racing on the track, lots of practice. I didn't throw anything in the trunk :)

4x4 is just so much easier. Especially a vehicle with hard to modulate power. Today I wouldn't buy a vehicle used in snow without AWD or 4WD. Gotten lazy in my old age, I guess. I even use the AC now instead of rolling down the windows :)

That being said, today there are plenty of situations I drive with 4WD and confidence that I wouldn't even attempt with a 2WD vehicle.

Last edited:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah the sand comes in handy to spread around when you get stuck :). Many of our dads taught us how to drive a 2WD in snow or mud. When younger I used to get my 60s vintage Mercury Comet into the hunting camp where all others, 4x4 or not, had to park at the bottom of the hill (and walk in about 4 miles). Skinny snow tires, no power, a feel for traction similar to racing on the track, lots of practice. I didn't throw anything in the trunk :)

4x4 is just so much easier. Especially a vehicle with hard to modulate power. Today I wouldn't buy a vehicle used in snow without AWD or 4WD. Gotten lazy in my old age, I guess. I even use the AC now instead of rolling down the windows :)

That being said, today there are plenty of situations I drive with 4WD and confidence that I wouldn't even attempt with a 2WD vehicle.

I am not sure how anyone today especially the youngins would have survived back when 4x4's where quite rare. I learned to drive the first time in a snowstorm using my Pops 1972 Ford Ranch wagon, can you say big and long lol. My Mom was dead set against this adventure but hey my Dad was the boss and oh I was only 14 and change at the time. His first statement was "you get us stuck and you will be pushing/digging us out. All went well as I had that big assed Ford sliding around corners just like the dirt/mud track racers do:favorites13:

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only reason to get a 2 wheel drive IMHO is if you are going the weird straight brimmed hat wearing, tatted up fool route of slamming your truck to the ground. But at that point go by a car, if you need bed go by an Ranchero or El Camino. :) Oooh I am going to take heat for that one. But also IMHO you shouldn't be able to see over a truck while sitting in a Honda Civic. :)