Plug in: gas line anti freeze

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ziggles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As a new resident of Alberta and owning my first truck and also being a female I don't know much about gas line anti freeze and I've never had to plug a vehicle in before. I own a 2012 dodge ram, will I need to plug this in and keep gas line anti freeze in the truck? I know people who do both but they have older cars.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gas Line Anti Freeze? Never heard of it. A gas engine shouldn't have any issues what so ever.

The use of a block heater will make your engine easier to start in the mornings (plus your heater will work quicker) but unless you're going to be in the -40°F range, I doubt it'd be required.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The plug in is a block heater, it keeps the coolant from freezing and cracking the block. Gasoline doesn't start to freeze up until somewhere around -40 and -60C, at which point it will start to thicken. I don't know when it will freeze solid, but probably not at any temperature naturally occurring on Earth. The chemical additives are to prevent water in the fuel from freezing and making the gasoline to thick.

Depending on how cold it gets there and the quality of the fuel, the chemical additive may be a good idea.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Coming from Montana I would recommend the use of the block heater, but the "gas line-antifreeze" is something I have not heard of nor have I ever used it.

My family generally plugged in all of our vehicles, or kept them in our heated shop any time the temp was going to drop below 0 Fahrenheit. It makes them easier to start, and since the oil will be thinner, and the block will be warmer they lubricate faster. It is not required, but if you want to take good care of your vehicle I would recommend it.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
In Western Canada it is not Humid Enough to Warrant Using Gasline Antifreeze (methal hydrate Guys) however it is good to keep one small bottle in your truck, that way if you get a batch of bad fuel that contains water and your lines freeze up and you stall (this has happened to me once) you just add the bottle and it takes about 15-20 minutes for it to work its way up to the motor and then it will start. In the old days with carburated engines everyone used the stuff in the winter especially eastern Canada.

The Alberta rule for plugging in your block heater is if it is GONNA BE -18 © or colder overnight then plug it in especially with wind chill and if your grille is facing upwind. This is the only place i know of that employers provide plugged outlets in most parking lots cause when its -35 for a week on end **** freezes, and if you buy a house do a recce to see how many diesels are parked in the alleys cause in winter those run all night and will keep you awake until 0400. Hope this helps.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Welcome to RF. Great place to learn more about your Truck.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The oil plant I work at makes Gas Line Antifreeze. We only make it on a seasonal rotation. Ours is simply an additive, you add to your fuel tank.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you'd really feel better having some gas line antifreeze, you can fill up at Petro- Canada during the winter; they add anti freeze to their gas.
I'd say you'd be better off keeping your tank full for several reasons:
-Less empty room in the tank= less vapors which could include water and start the freezing.
-Traffic can be a NIGHTMARE because people get stupid when they see snow, and you can sometimes add hours to a commute. You don't want to be the person running out of gas when its -35*C.

Welcome to RF- hope this helps :)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF