Popping noise in the rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crb_6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got my lifted 2016 2500 new back in October and as long as I can remember whenever I hit a bump or a pot hole at slower speeds I hear a popping noise and it sounds like it's coming from the rear. I've checked under the bed and everything seems to be tight. Anybody have a clue what could be causing the noise?

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you check your spare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
crb_6.4

crb_6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I removed the spare a couple of days after I got it because it's a smaller size then what I'm running.

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotcha, noises are the hardest things to diagnose lol. Only thing I could think to do if you haven't tried something similar already. Is find a decent rut or hole and slowly I mean like 1-5mph dip your front and rear in it and with your head out the window listen for the pop, (i know not very scientific)repeat for the opposite side and increase speed till you hear it. Try to narrow it down to the left or right side and front or back and go from there.

*just realized you said it was lifted also-is it a full suspension lift, leveling kit or body lift. Check any spacer blocks or shims if you see any, they may be hitting or causing another suspension component to hit the frame bump stops.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I will bet a cold beer it is going to have something to do with the rear springs. If they are not seated in the mount correctly, they will make a pop sound.

OP
OP
crb_6.4

crb_6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It came from the dealer with a 4inch zone suspension lift.

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It came from the dealer with a 4inch zone suspension lift.

Check the top of the back springs-see if they reinstalled the rubber isolators. As said by the other member check the springs to make sure they are seated correctly.

OP
OP
crb_6.4

crb_6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will bet a cold beer it is going to have something to do with the rear springs. If they are not seated in the mount correctly, they will make a pop sound.

I noticed the rear coils look like they're tilted forward a bit.

OP
OP
crb_6.4

crb_6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the top of the back springs-see if they reinstalled the rubber isolators. As said by the other member check the springs to make sure they are seated correctly.

I'll have to check that when I leave the house in a bit

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I looked that lift up and it looks like they put in rear spacer for the coil springs. That is where I would be looking.

Might want to lean on the dealership since they installed this.

OP
OP
crb_6.4

crb_6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked that lift up and it looks like they put in rear spacer for the coil springs. That is where I would be looking.

Might want to lean on the dealership since they installed this.

I would take it in but I work 12 hour days and they're closed on the weekends. Also it's my only ride to work.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I would take it in but I work 12 hour days and they're closed on the weekends. Also it's my only ride to work.

You got to do whatever you have to do I guess. I can relate.

I will also add that you are basically married to that dealership when it comes to any warranty issues with the drivetrain.

Coop427

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try this. Twist the rear shocks and check for play. If they put new shocks on the rear when they did the lift and didn't replace the bushings, there will be play between the bushing and the factory shock bolts. So every time you hit a bump, you hear the play between the bolt and the rubber bushing. Bilsteins need to have the original bushings replaced with ones that have a larger inside diameter then there needs to be a metal sleeve inside the rubber bushing. Another way to check is to remove the bottom shock bolt and look at what's inside the shock. I believe it's a 21mm bolt&nut.

OP
OP
crb_6.4

crb_6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try this. Twist the rear shocks and check for play. If they put new shocks on the rear when they did the lift and didn't replace the bushings, there will be play between the bushing and the factory shock bolts. So every time you hit a bump, you hear the play between the bolt and the rubber bushing. Bilsteins need to have the original bushings replaced with ones that have a larger inside diameter then there needs to be a metal sleeve inside the rubber bushing. Another way to check is to remove the bottom shock bolt and look at what's inside the shock. I believe it's a 21mm bolt&nut.

It's -1 here and I just crawled up underneath it and checked for the rubber isolators like bpa88 said. They're all there. I'll check the shocks after work tomorrow when it's a little warmer. Haha

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm. At this point I would recommend letting the dealer who installed the lift take a look at it. Not much else I could think of besides everything that was mentioned here.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
agree, let the installer fix this.