Possible new Ram owner- Some questions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hudsonhornet7x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am new to this forum and am looking at a new 2017 Ram.

If anyone can be of assistance I have a couple questions. Thanks in advance!

1. I live in PA and everything rusts. Where will my new Ram rust on the body?

2. Can a lower trim model be upgraded with better interior pieces like the 8.4 touchscreen and heated seats, or should I just buy a truck that has them?

3. I will need a crew cab 4x4. What is real world mileage for something like that with a hemi?

4. How is the reliability with the 8 speed trans? WHat should I look out for?

Thanks again for any help!!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1. Some members have experienced some surface rust on some of the newer trucks as a result of ****** paint jobs from the factory. Trucks from the Warren plant have a reputation of VERY poor paint jobs. Look closely!!!!
2. You can upgrade the interior if you want to. There always seems to be interior items for sale in the for sale section. If it were me, I'd just get the upgraded interior when I bought the truck and avoid the hassle, depending on your financial situation.
3. Mileage will vary depending on the rear ratio, but my 16 cc4x4 gets about 15-16 in town and about 20-21 on the highway. Trucks with 3.21 ratios will probably get better mileage on the highway. Most gas mileage variations can be traced to the weight of the driver's right foot.(usually but not always)
4. The 8 speed trans is by far the best trans available now. I haven't read any problems yet.
Jay

Welcome to the forum--glad to have you!!!!

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I have a 2016 bighorn 4x4. If you get it rustproofed, you will have absolutely zero issues. If i was you, i would look at bighorn models. Mine is a crew cab also, and i regularly get beteeen 18-21 mpg. I use the cruise control religiously. The 8spd is an extremely stout transmission. I tow with mine regularly, and it has performed flawlessly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hudsonhornet7x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thank you gentlemen. The truck I have looked at was built at the Warren plant. Also thanks for the welcome!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd agree with everything that is said. The 8 Speed is a very good transmission.

As far as the interior...buy it with the vehicle (in my opinion). If you get a lower trim and start adding things...or changing things out...they won't be covered under warranty (most likely).

You really can't go wrong with either set of gears from what I've read. My Rebel has the 3.92's...but if I'd gone with a sport I would have been happy with the 3.21's.

I'm getting about 12-14 city and 17-18 highway but I have a right foot issue with my new Carven exhaust :) I'm hoping to stretch it to 20mpg on long trips with the cruise on.

Good luck with your choice! And welcome!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check out the big Horn model, a lower end model that can be equipped with some of the upper end options. My opinion on rust, I am from Jersey, is that it is worse than any other brand.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have found over the years is to find or order the truck you want. it is easy to say, I will get this lower priced truck now and get upgrade parts later, but find out that the computer can not be programmed to work with them and or, the cost will be more than getting the trucked equipped to my likes from the start. And as far as rust goes, I live in Snowy Michigan and the trucks I see around that have not been rust proofed have rust on the rear wheel wheels and tail gate. I have always had my autos rust proofed, and have never had any rust issues.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2. if you want those features just buy a big horn.

personally i would do a crew cab. with a non crew if you people that ride in the back seat you will regret it as their legs will hit the back of your seat.

OP
OP
H

hudsonhornet7x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am currently looking at a Ram sport night edition crew cab.

This particular truck does not have the ventilated seat option. Is that something that I should look into?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am currently looking at a Ram sport night edition crew cab.

This particular truck does not have the ventilated seat option. Is that something that I should look into?

In my laramie i have them, I also have a 2015 chrysler 200s this has similar seats to the ram sport trucks (vinyl on the outside, cloth in the center). With the seats in the laramie i love it, but with the seats in my 200 i dont feel i need them. But to each its their own.

Can you get the ventilated seated in a sport? if so i would assume it makes them a perforated leather seat like the laramie?

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
... .....
Can you get the ventilated seated in a sport? if so i would assume it makes them a perforated leather seat like the laramie?

They look the same.....I have ventilated seats in my 2015 Sport.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my laramie i have them, I also have a 2015 chrysler 200s this has similar seats to the ram sport trucks (vinyl on the outside, cloth in the center). With the seats in the laramie i love it, but with the seats in my 200 i dont feel i need them. But to each its their own.

My buddy has a 2017 lease sport night special edition with heated/ventilated seats. So it was an option. He has "Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats" (from his build sheet).

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't have ventilated seats on my Rebel...don't believe it was even an option.

I did have them in my 2014 Durango R/T. I really like them. If you're in the south I'd definitely go for them...if you're in a cooler part of the US then its up to you.

There are some really good deals on all 2017 Rams right now...as they're trying to lower inventory for incoming 2018's. I'm sure you'll find exactly the right vehicle. Good luck!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My buddy has a 2017 lease sport night special edition with heated/ventilated seats. So it was an option. He has "Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats" (from his build sheet).

Correct. Standard sport seats are heated only. If you get the leather option, they include ventilated as well. They're basically Laramie seats without the logo.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ventilated seats are cool, pardon the pun. First thought it was a gimmick and then they came on automatically on a hot day, I was very impressed. Like a lot of options, you get used to them and then you're hooked.