Possible warranty claim on key fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey gents I purchased a new to be 2015 ram and traded in my 2012 ram..... the Nissan seal ship I bought it from gave me one complete key fob with a door key and 1 other door key with no fob..... they gave me one key so I traded my truck in with only one key leaving me one complete fob left from my 2012. My question is can I install the door key from the 2015 into the 2012 fob and play stupid saying this key doesn't work at the ram dealership? If not no big deal I'll just get a new one when I take it in to program the back up camera after I'm done installing it. Thanks again in advance!!!

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doubtful you would be able to get a dealer to believe that story since you bought it used. They would just tell you to go after the previous owner. You should try to get the Nissan dealer you bought it at agree to pay for the second key.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They would see through that dumb-assed idea in about 2.5 seconds which would then wreck your relationship with that dealer. Why would you want to commit what would be considered fraud over a couple hundred dollars at most?

Seems pretty petty to keep one of your 2012 fob just because you only got one fob with your 2015.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It wouldn't work. I had a bad fob and they said we will have to charge you if it turns out it's not a warranty issue. I told them you ain't getting a dime go check it. It was bad and I got a new one. I've had way more GM than chrysler. I never had a GM dealer tell me i was going to pay to see if it's under warranty.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
They would see through that dumb-assed idea in about 2.5 seconds which would then wreck your relationship with that dealer. Why would you want to commit what would be considered fraud over a couple hundred dollars at most?

Seems pretty petty to keep one of your 2012 fob just because you only got one fob with your 2015.

That guy is one of the things wrong with this world.

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
as an old coach use to say "suck it up butter cup you are going to have to pay the piper to play the game"

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It wouldn't work. I had a bad fob and they said we will have to charge you if it turns out it's not a warranty issue. I told them you ain't getting a dime go check it. It was bad and I got a new one. I've had way more GM than chrysler. I never had a GM dealer tell me i was going to pay to see if it's under warranty.

Authorization for labor in case the concern is not covered is pretty standards. Who pays the bill if the problem is not going to be covered by Chrysler? Perfect example is the OP. When a tech finds out the key this guy is trying to get replaced is already programmed to another car and he is just trying to rip them off, who pays for the techs labor time?

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Authorization for labor in case the concern is not covered is pretty standards. Who pays the bill if the problem is not going to be covered by Chrysler? Perfect example is the OP. When a tech finds out the key this guy is trying to get replaced is already programmed to another car and he is just trying to rip them off, who pays for the techs labor time?

Like I said it wasn't that way for me before. And if it's not a warranty issue they won't fix it it. It took them less than 5 min to see that mine was defected.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Like I said it wasn't that way for me before. And if it's not a warranty issue they won't fix it it. It took them less than 5 min to see that mine was defected.

Nothing is ever a "5 minute job" once you factor in the service adviser having to process your input and output, the porter making ready to get it into the service bay putting covers on the seats and paper protective floor mats and removal when done. Then you got the tech's time which maybe the actual 5 minutes here. Add in the possibly the parts counter guy to run part numbers and you got way more that just a "5 minute job" in labor time spread out.

So it does not surprise me dealerships have a upfront charge many times if it is not readily apparent if the job is going to be warranty covered or not.

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I said before no sweat...... bought a new oem key already cheap and will be making apt soon for it to be programmed. The other dealer called and needed my lug nut key for the rims so I just mailed them the lug nut key and the other key fob as it's useless for me to keep....... to the guys that just gave me info that it would work or not thank you..... to the *********...... don't question my character over a stupid key fob .... morons who hide behind a computer acting tough..... you had that additude to anyone's face you would have your teeth knocked out..... I was asking for a simple yes or no .

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Like I said before no sweat...... bought a new oem key already cheap and will be making apt soon for it to be programmed. The other dealer called and needed my lug nut key for the rims so I just mailed them the lug nut key and the other key fob as it's useless for me to keep....... to the guys that just gave me info that it would work or not thank you..... to the ********** ..... ead..... don't question my character over a stupid key fob .... morons who hide behind a computer acting tough..... you had that additude to anyone's face you would have your teeth knocked out..... I was asking for a simple yes or no .

What you asked was shady. Get angry all you want but you got rightly called out on it.

In person or not, most normal people would have called that out. So if your running around crowd has people getting their teeth knocked out or such matters, you are running with the wrong people.

BTW, I live in Delaware. If you want to test your theory on saying something face to face, let me know. Good chance it will go ether way.

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll let you know when I'm in Delaware

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I fight for a living ..... not worried about it

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I fight for a living ..... not worried about it

OK spanky, keep making threats of bodily harm on a internet discussion forum. You will go far.

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You said you were going to test a theory..... you would probably be nice to me in real life ..... so why would anyone want to impose bodily harm at that point silly?....... just quit being a *********

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
You said you were going to test a theory..... you would probably be nice to me in real life ..... so why would anyone want to impose bodily harm at that point silly?....... just quit being a *********

Oh quit being coy here. Everybody reads between the lines of your initial veiled threats of knocking peoples teeth out for calling you out for fraud and now you are upset.

I admit, I trolled you on it and your pride and chest beating went into overdrive here.

Nice way to come onto the board.

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you have a come to Jesus moment?

OP
OP
Thewetdream

Thewetdream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'm dealing with someone who's done nothing wrong is whole life and now I'm going to be persecuted

Status
Not open for further replies.