Post accident questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks for the help , I'm taking it to another shop tomorrow because the first shop was about 3 weeks out before they could start. I will for sure ask about the oem parts.

I found a calculator online for DV it worked out to about $6500. Of course I have no idea where that stands on the value of the truck, that could be way low.

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With all do respect and this is my personal opinion . I would not want to own a vehicle after that kinda of damage . To me it's just never the same . I wish you the best and sorry to hear about this unfortunate event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get a lawyer involved. He will charge between $150-250 and it will be taken care of that day. Diminished value is always present after a wreck, therefore diminished value is easy to prove... for a lawyer. As soon as the other company realizes you are serious, the issues stop, and the money flows. It's as simple as that. I always call the lawyer before the insurance company. 9 times out of ten I never even have to deal with them. JMHO

Jason

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
ive bought cars with salvaged titles and ones that have had damage. Cheap get me around cars. I admit I raised an eyebrow at first but for the price you can find some good deals. Now the shoe is on the other foot, I have a 40+ thousand dollar truck and I don't want to get bent over if I ever try to sell it/trade it in.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
You have 100% right to have your truck fixed to OEM standards using OEM repair procedures.
When dealing with insurance it can be a mix of contracts, agreements, and the rights assigned to you by law in the applicable location.

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some insight...

The damage seen in the photos will likely be OE anyway.As far as DOV goes most states don't have a defined process except GA. Usually you have to be able to prove a financial loss on trade in or resale. Most insurance companies have an exclusion clause on first party DOV claims-you have to file those with the other carrier to make a DOV claim and the burden of proof will be on you and how you document your financial loss. Finally any reputable body shop can repair ( in this case mostly replace those panels) and it will be good to go.

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should add been in the industry for a decade. The side bags would not deploy for a impact that low side impact sensors are placed commonly mid level behind the door interior trim panels. Pick a shop your comfortable with if not most insurance companies partner with certain shops and offer a lifetime guarantee on repairs.

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Should add been in the industry for a decade. The side bags would not deploy for a impact that low side impact sensors are placed commonly mid level behind the door interior trim panels. Pick a shop your comfortable with if not most insurance companies partner with certain shops and offer a lifetime guarantee on repairs.

Definitely look into the insurance companies list of providers, but I would add CHOOSE WISELY. I used a "select" provider through State Farm, and they are less then "select". My truck is on it's third trip for repairs of the repair, luckily covered under the warranty and they have paid for a rental car.

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The first body shop said he wouldn't be able to get started till the end of the month so I took it to another shop. He asked me which shop, when I told him he was like ohhhhh.idk if that was just a competitor ohhhh or if he knows something I don't. Their reviews look good on line. They will be using oe parts and it will be warrantiied for life. I'm looking into an attorney for the diminished value

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm dealing with same thing. second time in 7 months, first last September I get rear ended siting in traffic in my charger. Its an 08. low miles, excellent shape.

2 months ago I got T-boned while in a funeral procession in my ram.

Both cases I had my insurance ( USAA) take care of everything to get my vehicle fixed, then processed the DIV with the other insurance company. Your insurance wont help with DIV, In fact If you don't know about it they wont even mention it. I think they are all in a conspiracy to keep their cost down, and I am not usually a conspiracy person.

Once the repairs are complete and the other insurance has paid your insurance and something called Subrogation is complete, then you can proceed with getting the run around from the other insurance company.

things they consider are:

prior damage , if yes they usually deny
Age of vehicle
milage
severity of damage ( makes sense that all damage is repaired first)
etc.

Now my first wreck the other insurance was allstate ( I think) and they were ok to deal with, and I got a check about two weeks from when I got in contact with the DIV division.

Last event is GIECO and they are a bunch of a holes

giving ne the run around trying to get statements from me for info they already have etc. And they wont give me the DIV #.
jerk wont give me info but try to " review the information" I'm like " talk to my insurance company, that's why I had them take care of this, not you, and I called you to get info you won't provide, why would I help you( screw me)."
they sent an email to their DIV, I got contacted, .told they would call me back blah blah wait for the Subrogation etc.

USAA not much help, they just say wait 2-3 weeks and try again.

Its been 2-3 weeks

So now its July. Repairs have been compete and I was able to get thru to the DIV division of GIECO, where I left Msgs every week for a month and a half. After I got thru to a supervisor I finally got a response. Two weeks ago the adjuster asked me to send an e-mail asking for a settlement amount, then came the next day a Wednesday and took pictures of the truck, apologizing for the delay and promising to get back to me by that Friday. I met him at my truck and hand delivered my letter.
I looked at NADA, went to the dealership where I bought the truck to get a verbal estimate on how much less they would offer me on a average trade in. They gave me car fax as well that shows the accident reported. I asked for $5500.00
Well he said Friday..... ten days later I get an email stating they determined the DIV to be $3100.00 yet are offering me $2700.00. I just answered back telling them there own est. is $3100.00, they cited no reason to lower it to $2700.00, therefore I am only willing to accept $ 3100.00.
Hopefully this will get settled soon, they do tend to try to wear your patience. I'm confident I wont get any less than $2700.00.

This process is different than the one all state used, and is definatly taking longer.

In general it seems to me that ALL of the insurance companies have an unwritten policy of not bringing up DIV, not telling their clients and dragging their feet when liable.

The industry protects itself.

Ill post up results when this is resolved.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
and you file a diminished value claim?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having a hard time even saying the word but---get an attorney. That's when all the ******** stops and they begin to treat you like a genuine person. Most insurance companies will break it off in you in a New York minute. Their not in business to give you money. They don't like you and they want to get rid of you asap for the least amount of money they can.
Jay

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I e-mailed my point that they had no reason to just arbitrarily drop their own DV amount from 3100 to 2700. I stated that 3100 is the least I was wiling to consider.

Oddly they agreed and sent me the release papers for 3100.

YEAH I win! Or ...******* you shoulda pressed for more?

Signed, scanned the release and sent back today via e-mail attachment.

Ill let youse guys know when I receive the check.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP I'd suggest you try yourself to get this DIV settled in your favor before you pony up a lawyer.

The DIV process won't start until the damages are completely repaired as the total cost of the repairs will effect the DIV amount.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
YEAH I win! Or ...******* you shoulda pressed for more?
I have seen that as a sales/negotiating tactic so you fight or the bottom not the middle.

You're warn out as things have dragged on, you want an ending. If you question at all it's the minimum and your on your way. Many won't question. If you are in the minority and try to fight for more and it's a new agent/rep and more hurdles.

Fireman108

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 Ram with a 6 inch lift and 35's and was in a wreck today. I was T boned on the drivers side, and spun around a few times. My side airbags went off but the drivers door popped open after the impact. Nothing like spinning around with the drivers door open . Not sure whats worse, Diminished value ( 3 weeks old) or a fixed but possible messed up truck. Stinks either way

Attachments

• dodge ram.jpg
    dodge ram.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 63

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fireman08: sorry that happened to you. dam!

Update from me IRT my DIV. He said the check would be ailed out Friday, but didn't say which Friday, .....he said I should have it by the beginning of the week...As of last night no check in my mailbox.

I got stuff to buy I don't have time for this BS!!!

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen that as a sales/negotiating tactic so you fight or the bottom not the middle.

You're warn out as things have dragged on, you want an ending. If you question at all it's the minimum and your on your way. Many won't question. If you are in the minority and try to fight for more and it's a new agent/rep and more hurdles.

I hate to admit it but I got more than I expected. Ill explain after I get the check and after it clears the bank

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ I hope thing go well for you
Jay