Post accident woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hey group need some input. My situation: I was t boned the beginning of may. Truck was in body shop for a month till I requested to have it taken to another body shop to complete the work. When my truck was picked up they told me that they weren't able to start it. Truck was taken to dealer to diagnose the issue, from what they are telling me every computer/ module they have tested so far has been off line. If the ecm were bad would that make all the others appear bad? The original bill was almost 8,000 not including this issue as well as needing to go back for repaint. Is there a point where I can just ask for it to be written off? Should I look for a lawyer? It's a 2016 crewcab cummins.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hope you have a great insurance agent on this because you should be able to refuse pick up until repairs meet with your satisfaction. Lawyer might not be a bad idea if a call to your agent is not productive. I am assuming it was the other driver's fault?

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Other drivers fault.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Once you have it back remember to ask for diminished value. With USAA all I had to do was ask and fill out a form.

As long as it is not totaled they will fix it, I was faced with a similar situation. Wife's new car with less than 5k mileage & MSRP 26k, accident, not her fault, 13k damage, we didn't want it back but that didn't matter. They fix it unless totaled.

Personally I would dump it and get a new ride. In fact that is exactly how I got my new RAM, a couple of years before I was ready but what are you gonna do.....

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Feelin for ya @homebrew Like others have said, with such a new truck $8000 is nothing compared to the current value of the truck, expect the insurance company to fix it.

Before taking delivery and signing the release paperwork, take it on a healthy test drive. Find the roughest road you can find and make sure she feels as solid as she was before the accident. And then demand diminished value payment from the insurance company. You can use KBB or Black Book to estimate the difference between a truck in perfect condition vs one that has been in accident using thier calculators if you plan to keep the truck. If you plan to trade it in, get the dealership you expect to trade with to help you with the estimate. Either way, know this number before making the ask and do not accept a penny less. But do not write off keeping the truck just because of the accident. A quality body shop can make things good as new.a

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Truck may have salvage title after insurance pays out,second hand value will be bad.

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The body shop I had planned on taking it to to redo the body work called me up to let me know they were booked and recommended another shop to complete the work. The manager told me once the truck is fixed ask for the diminished value then get rid of the truck before it loses any more value. My concern now is how much damage was done to the electrical system. Anyone dealt with State Farm and diminished value ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Truck may have salvage title after insurance pays out,second hand value will be bad.

Would only have a salvage title if totaled.

GRB60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
It depends on who chose the original repair shop. If you did you may have to pursue the recovery. The electrical problems seem more likely to have been caused by the shop not protecting the electronics than by the accident. If the insurer recommended the shop call them and ask for help in resolving the problems.

Diminished value will only be paid by the other guy's insurance company. It's not likely covered under yours.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
1) who picked the first body shop?
2) why were you taking it to another body shop?
3) did it run when it was dropped off?
4) what is your insurance company saying about all of this?

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive delt with State Farms and Diminished Value claim. It was painless in my case. My truck was 1 month old and 900 miles. A garage repair man backed into my truck causing 4800 worth of damage. Bed side, rear door, front door. I received a check for over $5k. Just answered a few questions, and met with adjuster, then a check in mail a few days later. But i had to stay on top of them for each step of the process.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey group need some input. My situation: I was t boned the beginning of may. Truck was in body shop for a month till I requested to have it taken to another body shop to complete the work. When my truck was picked up they told me that they weren't able to start it. Truck was taken to dealer to diagnose the issue, from what they are telling me every computer/ module they have tested so far has been off line. If the ecm were bad would that make all the others appear bad? The original bill was almost 8,000 not including this issue as well as needing to go back for repaint. Is there a point where I can just ask for it to be written off? Should I look for a lawyer? It's a 2016 crewcab cummins.
If the other guy was at fault you have options including lawyering up and demanding payment for diminished value.

If you were at fault and its your insurance company, bend over and grasp your ankles.

It sounds like you are a long way from totaled.

Either way they have to get it drivable. Then you can make a determination whether to trade it in, or keep it.

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So the truck was removed from the first shop due to loss of confidence. I initiated the move with State Farm. The dealer is following their procedures which call for checking each computer 1 by 1 and replacing it then moving on to the next which sucks because they have to order every one individually. Once they get it running it has to be inspected and repainted.