Powerwagon 4x4 not engaged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is for a buddy of mine...

He has 2016 Powerwagon. He just called and told me he got stuck in mud winching someone out. When it was his turn to get out, only the rear tires would spin in reverse and forward. He said he had to rock the truck out. He took it out of 4wd and put it back but only rear tires would spin.

He has no lights on the dash on expect for the 4wd light (solid) when he put the shifter into 4 high. he didn't try 4 Lo. Something not engaging, anyone else go through this?

Thanks in advance.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im no mechanic but im gonna throw a guess out there and say the actuator that engages the front differential to the front drive shafts

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2016 Powerwagon works great. 4x4 high and low no issues. Even better lock all those lockers up, you can get out of nearly anything. The front hubs, do they have a neutral on them, never looked. I think they are auto or lock but if they have a neutral setting it could be why they never spun.

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've seen all 4 tires spin before. This is apparently the second time this is happening. First time he got stuck he said if felt like all wheels weren't spinning. He winched himself out of that one.

That winch is sure coming in real handy.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The power wagon does not have a part-time transfer case. So its either 4x4 or its not. Im thinking the front hubs have something to do with it in this case. Or a front wheel was in some slick spot and it was freewheeling on the other side you couldnt see. Thats where the front locker comes into play. If you have it in 4x4 and the front and rear lockers on, there shouldnt be much you cant get out of.

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The power wagon does not have a part-time transfer case. So its either 4x4 or its not. Im thinking the front hubs have something to do with it in this case. Or a front wheel was in some slick spot and it was freewheeling on the other side you couldnt see. Thats where the front locker comes into play. If you have it in 4x4 and the front and rear lockers on, there shouldnt be much you cant get out of.

He said for sure nothing was freewheeling in the front. rears were spinning and front were not.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
it's a '16

simple....

it's still under warranty...take it to the dealer

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
^^^
Yeah I told him the same thing. He just wanted to know why it was doing that, we'll wasn't. Hopefully it's operator error not the truck but the guy knows how to use it.

I'm really starting to loose faith in ram. I'm the reason he bought the powerwagon . I'm having issues with mine and now this.

Hopefully it's something stupid, I'll keep it posted.

Thanks fellas.

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another sob story with someone losing faith in a vehicle because someone has a problem. There's a warranty for that. Also, please tell me what vehicle manufacturer never has issues?

These are machines built by humans. They will have issues.

If you read my post all the way, I'm having issues with mine too. If you are going through what I am, you'd say the same thing.

Yeah, I know they're machines, youre 100% correct. My titan had its fair share of issues. But always got fixed the first time. Not in 5 times and still not fixed.

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes they have.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorta of an update for my buddy's truck.

He took it into the dealership today and they said the 4WD is working. the tech drove his truck to a dirt lot and to show him. he said the tech put the truck into 4Lo, accelerated while pressing on the brake. Only the rear right tire spun. then the tech engaged the rear locker and did the same thing. both rear tires spun. then he engaged the front locker and did the same thing. all four tires wanted to move. my buddy then told him about my truck how all four wheels will spin either in 4lock or 4lo. Tech told him that my truck has a LSD diff and the powerwagon has open diffs.

does this make sense? we're both kind of confused.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorta of an update for my buddy's truck.

He took it into the dealership today and they said the 4WD is working. the tech drove his truck to a dirt lot and to show him. he said the tech put the truck into 4Lo, accelerated while pressing on the brake. Only the rear right tire spun. then the tech engaged the rear locker and did the same thing. both rear tires spun. then he engaged the front locker and did the same thing. all four tires wanted to move. my buddy then told him about my truck how all four wheels will spin either in 4lock or 4lo. Tech told him that my truck has a LSD diff and the powerwagon has open diffs.

does this make sense? we're both kind of confused.

If a diff has a locker it will be an open diff when unlocked. If the diffs are unlocked when in 4x4, either 4lock or 4lo it should spin at least one wheel on each axle.

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got it, making more sense now. Thank you

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If a diff has a locker it will be an open diff when unlocked. If the diffs are unlocked when in 4x4, either 4lock or 4lo it should spin at least one wheel on each axle.

thats not correct for the power wagon. the power wagon has an LSD rear with a locker. the front is an open diff with a locker.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio