Prospective 09 high mileage owner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigmackloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Will probably be joining the truck market in the near future. Had initially been looking at F150s but came across an 09 ram 1500 5.7 4x4. 96k miles for a reasonable price. Had not previously considered these trucks but this one caught my eye. Even has the bed side tool boxes.

Been trying to do a bit of research on common issues for these trucks, things to watch out for. Initially came across some really bad stuff, like dodgeramhell.com. Talks about some vibrations from the mds system and a rear end whining noise. But sometimes it's hard to gauge real problems vs someone who is just disappointed over smaller issues in their new vehicle.

So can you guys share any words of wisdom on things to watch for in this truck, especially at higher mileage than most?

Thanks!

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How in the hell does someone rack up 96K miles on an 09? How much are they wanting for it?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
First off, welcome to RF!

Second......you know most people get on the net to ***** about their trucks, rather than talk about how awesome they are. :D

Wining noise in the rear? Well, I had my rear gears replaced at 6K. They started whining, enough that I took it in. Had it for 4 days I think, basically replaced everything in the rear.

The only goofy thing I have seen is that the Rambox's seem to fade, and sometimes warp. Thats not cool! But, overall, its a great truck - and I think you'll love it!

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I don't know anyone with over like 30K miles on any 4th gen, so I really have no idea what to expect. I would assume the usuall, maybe a steering pump and a radiator leak here and there. As long as the regular maintenance was done... which would lead me to wonder with that many miles, I would think it would last just fine.

Seriously though... that's like 30K miles a year! Just inspect it very well, and test drive it for at least 10-15 mins and pay attention to everything.

unclemark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi, 4.7
Ive owned a 99' an 01' an 06' an 07' still have the 07' and a 2010. Loved em all, good trucks not the best on mpg eccept the 10' it does real good on the highway. The only problem out of any of the them eas the 06' had issues with the transmission computer but thats it.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF

OP
OP
B

Bigmackloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the warm welcome and feed back. I agree, the interest often provides a soap box for people to complain about every squeak and rattle. I worked for several years as a service advisor at a Honda dealership. You quickly realize that new car owners will complain like their vehicle is a horrid unsafe death trap that barely makes it home everyday, even over minor issues. I'm not criticizing, if I had just spent $30K+ on a new vehicle, I would probably complain too. But that doesn't mean it's a vehicle that should be sent to the crusher.

With 90K miles in 3 yrs I can only assume they are mostly hwy miles, which hopefully is a positive thing. And maybe some of the early "bugs" have already been worked out.

Do all of the 5.7L engines have the MDS? Is everyone with MDS experiencing the vibration, and when exactly do they experience it? Is it actually causing any mechanical failures or just annoyance? And how effect is the MDS at improving fuel mileage? Can it be turned off with a programmer?

What's the warranty on these trucks? Didn't they offer a lifetime powertrain warranty or was that only to the original owner?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Do all of the 5.7L engines have the MDS? Is everyone with MDS experiencing the vibration, and when exactly do they experience it? Is it actually causing any mechanical failures or just annoyance? And how effect is the MDS at improving fuel mileage? Can it be turned off with a programmer?

What's the warranty on these trucks? Didn't they offer a lifetime powertrain warranty or was that only to the original owner?

I don't have any vibration, my '12 rides like a Lincoln. The only hint of vibration is at idle. You can turn MDS off without a tuner, using either OD off or tow/haul mode. I don't turn mine off, though, its seamless.

The lifetime is only for the original owner. Its about a $2k option.

Also, unless its REALLY cheap, you may not save as much as you'd think over new. With discounts and rebates you can probably get $8k or so off sticker on a new one, so don't compare used to MSRP.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That Dodge Ram Hell site has fake written all over it. Probably owned by some fanboy that hates Mopars is my guess. Anywho I've got 25k now on my 2011 and can tell you I don't have any kind of vibration from the MDS. I only know when it kicks in because it says "ECO" on my EVIC screen. Other than that the exhaust note can change a little at times but it's hardly noticeable.

I would look at a new one with rebates and see what you can get. Heck you can buy a 2012 RAM Express for something like 22-24k depending on a few options. It doesn't have the EVIC, or the upper glovebox but it's got power windows, power locks, painted grille and bumpers, chrome clad wheels, and the duel exhaust. The upper glove box can be added for a little bit of money, and the EVIC can be swapped out as well if you absolutely must have the computer.

Here's a video with kind of a rundown so you get the idea. Please excuse the annoying salesman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKpnS3-Xf2w&feature=related

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigmackloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
They're asking $19,500 for this one. I haven't gotten a chance to see it in person yet, but it does have the Big Horn pkg on it. While I'd love a new truck, it's still out of my $$ range, and I'm looking to get a track car as well. :)

Last edited:

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That Dodge Ram Hell site has fake written all over it. Probably owned by some fanboy that hates Mopars is my guess. Anywho I've got 25k now on my 2011 and can tell you I don't have any kind of vibration from the MDS. I only know when it kicks in because it says "ECO" on my EVIC screen. Other than that the exhaust note can change a little at times but it's hardly noticeable.

I would look at a new one with rebates and see what you can get. Heck you can buy a 2012 RAM Express for something like 22-24k depending on a few options. It doesn't have the EVIC, or the upper glovebox but it's got power windows, power locks, painted grille and bumpers, chrome clad wheels, and the duel exhaust. The upper glove box can be added for a little bit of money, and the EVIC can be swapped out as well if you absolutely must have the computer.

Here's a video with kind of a rundown so you get the idea. Please excuse the annoying salesman.

2012 Ram 1500 Express Truck Quad Cab Knoxville Morristown Farris Motor Company - YouTube

I agree. Spending a couple more grand for the piece of mind of knowing you will be doing all the maintenance is worth it. These trucks are solid but as with everything it's how you take care of them. There is really no way of knowing how the previous owner cared for it. I say check out the express. Great truck and right now the prices are right!

bashby80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my 09 Big Horn w/ 70K miles a couple months ago and I'm already at 74K, I got it for $20,995. I haven't noticed any vibrations or anything negative; no leaks or wind noise. I was concerned about a squeek/ticking noise comming from somewhere in the engine bay, till I herd a couple other Hemi's doing the same thing. It's annoying as hell, but normal. If you don't mind the higher milage, and there's nothing wrong with it...why not!?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have 51k and change on mine and it has been really solid only issues I have had have been covered under recall or were issues created by my customizations with the exception of the vibration in pedal which varies based on shoes I wear and was really bad before I replaced the u joints. I love the 4th gen and I have used mine to tow a ton and just love it. I still have things I want to do to mine like lights and exhaust but for now it is great. Don't worry about miles they will not be an issue they had to have been highway anyway.

$miley

OP
OP
B

Bigmackloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The cheapest 2012 Express 5.7L Crew Cab 4x4 I can find online locally is $30k. Even if they came down another 2-3K, I think that's still a good ways out of my budget.

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cheapest 2012 Express 5.7L Crew Cab 4x4 I can find online locally is $30k. Even if they came down another 2-3K, I think that's still a good ways out of my budget.

Hangle them man. They take A LOT off the sticker right now. For instance I just traded in my fully loaded Express (it was a 2012) and got a 2012 Power Wagon...sticker 53,999 paid 39,500. Just saying it worth weighing the options before pulling the trigger.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

I paid $5k under sticker, even AFTER the sales tax was added back on. Depending on what rebates you qualify for, $8k off isn't unheard of.

OP
OP
B

Bigmackloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
wow, have you considered a career as a negotiator for hire? haha

Gardenfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just have a mechanic you trust give it a once over. CV joints, Ball joints, brakes, wheel bearings... Stuff gets expensive, you might save on purchase, but throw another 5k into wear items and might as well have bought new!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio