Purchasing Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab (undecided on bed size)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Community,

I am new to this community and new to trucks. I have also owned cars and full size SUVs. I am undecided between two trucks and could use some advice.

I am looking at purchasing a 2017 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab tomorrow. The two Sport trucks that I like are VERY similar in packages (plus and minus a few things i.e. bigger gas tank, trailer brake, moon roof, front parking sensors, etc.), but the main difference is the bed size. One truck has a 6'4" bed, while the other is a 5'7" bed.

I am completely undecided on which bed size to purchase. I have read some posts online where folks have said the turning radius is much wider with the 6'4" over the 5'7" bed. I don't work in construction, or own a farm, or am constantly picking up large items from Home Depot/Lowes. I could see using the 6"4' for the time I might purchase something big, or have to move something; however, this is NOT all the time, but is a reason I am using to say I want the 6'4" bed.

Some posts that I have read, folks have said that the 6'4" bed doesn't look balanced right with the Crew Cab. To me, I really can't see the difference, but also, I have never owned a truck either.

If anyone could chime in with some advice/suggestions I would really appreciatre it. All the standard equipment is the same between the two, expect for the optional features. Below is a breakdown of the optional equipment between the two:

Truck 1
Bed size: 6'4"
OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT (May Replace Standard Equipment)
Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats $1,545
Power 10-Way Driver / 6-Way Passenger Seats
Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
Sport Package 26L
Convenience Group $545
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
Keyless Enter ’n Go™
Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle $435
Power Sunroof $1,095
Sport Performance Hood $775
Uconnect® 8.4 NAV $795
GPS Navigation
SiriusXM Traffic / 5-Yr Traffic Subscription
SiriusXM Travel Link 5-Yr Travel Link Subscription
ParkSense® Front / Rear Park Assist System $445
Spray-In Bedliner $495

Truck 2
Bed size: 5'7"
OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT (May Replace Standard Equipment)
Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats $1,545
Power 10-Way Driver / 6-Way Passenger Seats
Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
Sport Package 26L
Dual Rear Exhaust with Bright Tips
Convenience Group $545
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
Keyless Enter ’n Go™
Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers
Trailer Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group $715
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors w/Manual Fold Away
Trailer Brake Control
9-Speaker Alpine® Premium Audio with Subwoofer $345
9-Alpine® Speakers with Subwoofer
Front and Rear Rubber Floor Mats $125
8-Speed Automatic 8HP70 Transmission $500
3.92 Rear Axle Ratio $95
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle $435
5.7-Liter V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine $1,250
Rear Window Defroster $195
Power Sunroof $1,095
Sport Performance Hood $775
32-Gallon Fuel Tank $355
Uconnect® 8.4 NAV $795
GPS Navigation
SiriusXM Traffic / 5-Yr Traffic Subscription
SiriusXM Travel Link 5-Yr Travel Link Subscription
ParkSense® Front / Rear Park Assist System $445
Spray-In Bedliner $495

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'll tell you I have the crewcab with the 6.5' bed and it's a pain to park. Turn radius blows on these trucks. Even backing in to park sometimes takes 2 tries depending on the lot. So of you don't need a 8' bed with the tailgate down go the shorter route in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hell truck 2 has the 3.92 gears dual exhaust 32 gallon tank.

keith.C.2313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
I chose a 2015 used Sport crew cab over a brand new Big Horn crew cab just because the bed was 6'4" on the Sport. Every truck I have ever had has had at least 6'4" bed so I couldn't go any smaller. I usually have something big in the bed at least once a week though. It is a little harder to maneuver in parking lots but you get used to it. Personal preference though.

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll tell you I have the crewcab with the 6.5' bed and it's a pain to park. Turn radius blows on these trucks. Even backing in to park sometimes takes 2 tries depending on the lot. So of you don't need a 8' bed with the tailgate down go the shorter route in my opinion.

What does the 3.92 gears mean or do for me?

hinzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The turning radius is poor but you get used to it. I don't like parking around crowds anyway so I rarely have a problem. IMO the 5'7 box looks silly small on a crew cab and disproportionate but everyone has their own opinion/likes. Mine barely fits in my garage so that may be something to consider as well.

cubmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at options on both, I'd go with the short bed.
Welcome to the forum by the way.

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I chose a 2015 used Sport crew cab over a brand new Big Horn crew cab just because the bed was 6'4" on the Sport. Every truck I have ever had has had at least 6'4" bed so I couldn't go any smaller. I usually have something big in the bed at least once a week though. It is a little harder to maneuver in parking lots but you get used to it. Personal preference though.

Keith, thank you for your opinion. I don't haul things on a weekly or monthly basis at all. I could see it would be nice for when we move into our new house, but is it worth it just for the few times? That is the part I am having trouble with!

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at options on both, I'd go with the short bed.
Welcome to the forum by the way.

Cubmedic, thank you very much for the welcome and your suggestion. Do the other options with the short bed out weigh the options with the bigger bed?

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

grozier, thanks for your opinion I appreciate it.

The turning radius is poor but you get used to it. I don't like parking around crowds anyway so I rarely have a problem. IMO the 5'7 box looks silly small on a crew cab and disproportionate but everyone has their own opinion/likes. Mine barely fits in my garage so that may be something to consider as well.

Hinzy, thank you as well. That's what I was reading about it looking disproportionate. When I go back to the dealer tomorrow morning, I will ask the guy to park them side by side so I can get a really good comparison.

keith.C.2313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
If this is your first truck and you don't intend to use the bed all the time then I would go with the short bed. Plus that one seems to have a lot more options. The 3.92 gears are better for hauling then the stock gears. But stock gears give you better gas mileage. On on what you want out of the truck.

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
looks like truck 1 with the 6'4 bed doesn't have a tow hitch. Seems silly not to have one on a truck that costs that much.

To the people saying the turning radius is poor, how is it different from the 5'7 bed? Don't they have the same wheel base? It's only 7 inches of bed sticking out how could that make much of a difference?

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If this is your first truck and you don't intend to use the bed all the time then I would go with the short bed. Plus that one seems to have a lot more options. The 3.92 gears are better for hauling then the stock gears. But stock gears give you better gas mileage. On on what you want out of the truck.

Keith, I am starting to agree. It would be great for the few times I might need it, but with the other options you pointed out, might be better. We plan on buy a camper in the next few years, so I the tow package would be good.

looks like truck 1 with the 6'4 bed doesn't have a tow hitch. Seems silly not to have one on a truck that costs that much.

To the people saying the turning radius is poor, how is it different from the 5'7 bed? Don't they have the same wheel base? It's only 7 inches of bed sticking out how could that make much of a difference?

Thanks Silverram. It's misleading, but there is a two hitch on it. It just doesn't have the two package with the brake inside the vehicle.

hinzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7

They do not have the same wheel base

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat

No they do not have the same wheel base, it will be longer on the crew cab with 6'4 bed. the quad cab which only comes with the 6'4 bed is the same wheel base as the crew cab with the 5'7 bed. they take the difference off the bed by the cab not on the tailgate side.

to the original poster....out of the 2 you listed I personally would pick the second one. It has a lot more features , and also becuase my preference is the 5'7 bed

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had both the 5.7 and 6.4 bed on my trucks. Like you I very seldom haul anything in the bed of my truck that requires the longer bed. Not to mention if it's that long and large it is probably heavy also and I don't want to lift it that high anyway so I put the larger items on a trailer.

There also is a difference in maneuvering when In a parking lot or congested area.

Either will be a nice truck, but the 3.92 gears and 32 gal fuel tank will also make a positive difference when pulling that camper you plan on purchasing. JMHO

Welcome from Maryland

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No they do not have the same wheel base, it will be longer on the crew cab with 6'4 bed. the quad cab which only comes with the 6'4 bed is the same wheel base as the crew cab with the 5'7 bed. they take the difference off the bed by the cab not on the tailgate side.

to the original poster....out of the 2 you listed I personally would pick the second one. It has a lot more features , and also becuase my preference is the 5'7 bed

quietpeen, thank you very much for your opinion.

I have had both the 5.7 and 6.4 bed on my trucks. Like you I very seldom haul anything in the bed of my truck that requires the longer bed. Not to mention if it's that long and large it is probably heavy also and I don't want to lift it that high anyway so I put the larger items on a trailer.

There also is a difference in maneuvering when In a parking lot or congested area.

Either will be a nice truck, but the 3.92 gears and 32 gal fuel tank will also make a positive difference when pulling that camper you plan on purchasing. JMHO

Welcome from Maryland

Hawkman, thank you as well. It seems like the consensus is the second truck.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 16 Sport Quad cab with the 6.4 bed. I kick myself for not buying the crew. I could not see having the 5.7 bed. the bed is just long enough to the job of many things. hauling plywood, boards, etc. things that would hang over the tail gate. and the looks of the 5.7 with a crew looks off

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Id go with the second one listed. 3.92 would be more important to me over the bed, plus as mentioned you are getting more options.