Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ep3er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Maryland and I purchased my 2013 RAM 1500 Tradesman 5.7 4X4 in Virginia about 3 months ago but it's registered in Maryland. I recently learned through a service advisor it is a Canadian model and it does not have warranty here in the US. He also said this truck needs to be registered in Canada for the warranty to honored and that the dealership wasn't supposed to sell it.
My question is am I out of luck if any powertrain issues should arise or was the (Nissan) dealership I bought it form at fault for selling it and is there anything legal I can do about it.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since it's a 2013, how far until you reach the warranty mileage limit? If it's a couple - 5,000 miles, not sure it would be worth the effort fighting for.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't pretend to be on the internet... so I don't know about legal course of actions. However, I would advise going back to the dealership (or call the salesman or floor manager) and explaining your situation if you haven't already and get their opinion to what they'd suggest first. Not saying you should take their advice, but just approach them with a level head, and be matter of fact. If there isn't anything they are willing to do, you could reach out to form member RAMCARES and see if they can direct you what to do. Further from that, best thing would be to seek counsel from an attorney. Unfortunately, at your expense.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
E

Ep3er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since it's a 2013, how far until you reach the warranty mileage limit? If it's a couple - 5,000 miles, not sure it would be worth the effort fighting for.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't pretend to be on the internet... so I don't know about legal course of actions. However, I would advise going back to the dealership (or call the salesman or floor manager) and explaining your situation if you haven't already and get their opinion to what they'd suggest first. Not saying you should take their advice, but just approach them with a level head, and be matter of fact. If there isn't anything they are willing to do, you could reach out to form member RAMCARES and see if they can direct you what to do. Further from that, best thing would be to seek counsel from an attorney. Unfortunately, at your expense.

Best of luck.

The truck has 52K miles. I emailed the general manager in a very friendly yet concerned way. Let's hope he responds. If he doesn't I will go into the dealership in person tomorrow.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
you should have 48000 miles left on the powertraiin. i have seen these posts before about canadian trucks. i would check with a lawyer and see what your options are befor you talk with the dealer.

DerTrom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yes, you have a thorny problem on a guarantee.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
dont all canadian model trucks have speedos that read in km/hr? seems that would be a dead giveaway if that was the case.

canadian model trucks can be sold in the states and vice versa. the dealership did nothing wrong there. the tech is correct about the warranty. if the truck was sold to you as having a factory warranty (and you can prove that) you might have a case. otherwise your probably SOL. gonna need to consult a lawyer for this one if you want to pursue it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
dont know, have never seen a canadian dash. but i have mph and Km on my speedo.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
dont all canadian model trucks have speedos that read in km/hr? seems that would be a dead giveaway if that was the case.

canadian model trucks can be sold in the states and vice versa. the dealership did nothing wrong there. the tech is correct about the warranty. if the truck was sold to you as having a factory warranty (and you can prove that) you might have a case. otherwise your probably SOL. gonna need to consult a lawyer for this one if you want to pursue it.

The dealers down here drop the coin to swap out the speedos. There are a TON of Canadian trucks for sale here in the states. With the exchange rate and the surplus of used trucks north of the border, dealers can make a ton on Canadian trucks. When I was shopping, I'd say 80% of the clean, highly optioned trucks that weren't priced through the roof were Canadian. The easiest way to tell is the door jamb tag. If it's Canadian it'll have a maple leaf and Canadian regulatory stuff.

And, you're right about him being SOL. Chrysler has no obligation to honor the warranty as they didn't sell the truck nor did they guarantee a warranty. The only case would be against the dealer, and only if they lied about it having a warranty. The warranty is basically like any other part of the truck. If you buy a truck thinking it has a HEMI and it turns out it's a V6, that's on the buyer unless the dealer misrepresented it as a V8 truck.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The dealers down here drop the coin to swap out the speedos. There are a TON of Canadian trucks for sale here in the states. With the exchange rate and the surplus of used trucks north of the border, dealers can make a ton on Canadian trucks. When I was shopping, I'd say 80% of the clean, highly optioned trucks that weren't priced through the roof were Canadian. The easiest way to tell is the door jamb tag. If it's Canadian it'll have a maple leaf and Canadian regulatory stuff.

And, you're right about him being SOL. Chrysler has no obligation to honor the warranty as they didn't sell the truck nor did they guarantee a warranty. The only case would be against the dealer, and only if they lied about it having a warranty. The warranty is basically like any other part of the truck. If you buy a truck thinking it has a HEMI and it turns out it's a V6, that's on the buyer unless the dealer misrepresented it as a V8 truck.

without a doubt SOL when it comes to chrysler. the only thing he MIGHT have a case is with the dealer if any warranty was noted in the sales agreement i guess is what i was getting at. if they are in fact swapping out clusters on people, im sure they are slick enough to not put anything like that in there.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
What was marked on the buyers guide warranty sticker that should have been attached to the truck?

If marked "As Is", you are up **** creek without a paddle regardless if any "verbal" promises were made.

If "Warranty" was marked, it should spell out what warranty they were offering and if they were making claim the manufacturers warranty was still in effect, you got grounds to push back but it may cost you a lawyers time if the dealership plays hardball.

Good luck

F0158.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam