Question / Help with auto start.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, this has happended to me twice in the month that ive owned my 15' sport. (Just for an FYI......i already had to have a body control module replaced with less than 500 miles on the truck due to my blinkers and headlights being all screwed up. Everything has been fine since ).

So, my most recent occurance........as i normally do, i walk into my garage and start my truck via the auto start as i wait for the garage door to raise ( truck is parked in the driveway ). I then hit unlock to load some stuff into the bed of the truck. I close the tailgate and go the driverside door with fob in hand. I open the door, get in, close door, put keys in the console and push the start/stop button to "activate" the truck so I can put it into drive and go about my day......HOWEVER......when i hit the start/stop button, the truck shut off. WTF !!

This happened to me once before a couple weeks ago, but i did not notice right away as i was on the phone. if io recall correctly, i went to put my foot on the brake and turn the knob to "drive" and i then realized, "holy crap, the truck turned off".

Is there a sequence that make the truck shut off after you auto start, unlock and then get in? I have not tried too hard to replicate the shut off, but it seems weird. I have used the auto start numerous times since......i unlock, get in, push the start / stop button to ativate the truck and all goes well, put the truck in "drive" and off i go......

Am i missing something here?

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
If i had to guess, I'd say you're subconciously putting your foot on the brake out of habit. As soon as you touch the brake the truck will shut off. All you have to do to turn the truck to "run" after auto-starting is just poke the start button. No brake involved.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If i had to guess, I'd say you're subconciously putting your foot on the brake out of habit. As soon as you touch the brake the truck will shut off. All you have to do to turn the truck to "run" after auto-starting is just poke the start button. No brake involved.

:confused: I put my foot on the brake before pushing the button and putting it in gear all the time after auto-start. Mine never shut off on me after doing that.

To the original OP, what does your EVIC say? If there was a problem, it should say "Auto-Start Aborted" and give a reason why.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a slight possibility, but I'm trying to think of everything... Could it be that when you put the key in the console, it somehow hits the auto-start button and shuts the truck off? I've done that before... auto-start the truck and then while walking out, accidentally hit the start button instead of unlock and shut the truck off... or, I've bumped up against something I'm carrying (box or something) and it shut the truck off.

Just a thought.

NorthTexasHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Lone Star
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
How much gas do you have in the tank when it does that. The truck will start and then it notices it is low on fuel then shut off.

Fullmetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I do know if u inadvertently hit the gas pedal too hard, the truck will shut off before hitting the start button.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
How much gas do you have in the tank when it does that. The truck will start and then it notices it is low on fuel then shut off.

From what he describes, his truck runs way too long for it to be a low fuel shut off. That takes seconds. He's starting it, loading junk, getting it, THEN it dies

OP
OP
N

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do know if u inadvertently hit the gas pedal too hard, the truck will shut off before hitting the start button.

and we have a winner!!!

Just confirmed, did the auto start, ran for 10 seconds, got in via proximity sensor, put keys in console and hit the gas pedal with my foot.....revved just a tad and then shut off. evic said "auto start disabled".

Thanks guys, after my headlight, blinker problems and having a control module replaced with under 500 miles on the truck, i was thinking i had a lemon here. Good to know all is well.

Thanks again !!!

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Glad it's fixed..

:confused: I put my foot on the brake before pushing the button and putting it in gear all the time after auto-start. Mine never shut off on me after doing that.

To the original OP, what does your EVIC say? If there was a problem, it should say "Auto-Start Aborted" and give a reason why.

My bad.. the 05 would shut off if you touched the brake, the 14 doesnt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963