Question for RAM tech /owners -HVAC- heat air speed '14 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
so my 2014 ram 1500 has this issue with the HVAC where when on any setting (floor, defrost, direct, etc), the cold air blow much stronger than the hot air. the hot air is literally half the intensity air speed wise. it also blows very weak out of the floor setting, again on heat only.

i am thinking its a blend door issue, but the dealer said its normal operation and claimed they researched it and that the heater core restricts airflow. ......sounds like total BS to me, and i didn't have time to leave the truck longer so i will have to drop it off another time.

IF There are any ram techs on the board, can you let me know what you think about this diagnosis? doe this sound normal to you?

IF there is anyone that has a ram 1500, can you let me know if you have the same issue and is this really normal operation?

thanks all in advance,

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Will be following this post.
Very interesting question

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I think you might have a hard time finding someone with a Ram 1500 on here ;) haha Jk!

Mine seems to blow pretty strong, I would have to compare the settings back to back. I'm off on a business trip for a week but I'm sure someone else can chime in and help out!

OP
OP
S

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think you might have a hard time finding someone with a Ram 1500 on here ;) haha Jk!

Mine seems to blow pretty strong, I would have to compare the settings back to back. I'm off on a business trip for a week but I'm sure someone else can chime in and help out!

thanks for the offer, if there are anyone else out there that want sto let me know how their HVAC blows on hot vs. cold, would very much appreciate it.

especially when on a single setting and all you do is switch from hot to cold.

thanks again.

OP
OP
S

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
also here is a picture of my truck (from warmer weather times)

DSC_1018_zpstibjdo4t.jpg

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a tech...but it's normal.

My '12 1500 does the same. The route the air takes for heat is different than the route it takes for a/c - hence the difference in speed.

eticket1337

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie Night Edition
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Havent seen a good answer here... I have the OP's issue as well, when in auto, the truck warms up, but then it gets cold as the cold air blows, I thought it was an Auto HVAC issue, but when I switched to "manual", the same thing occurs... it happens to the point it's cold in the cab....

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Now that I've seen this post, mine 09 seems to do the same thing but it's not a drastic as you describe. It doesn't get that cold here but I don't have a hard time heating the cab up.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is normal. The air is always blowing through the evaporator. When you turn the heat on, it is blowing through the evaporator and the heater core so there is more restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, the heater core doesn't restrict air flow any more than the A/C evaporator, so that's a BS reason....and the flow path being different, again, one goes thru the blower, makes a few turns, and out the dash, and the other goes thru the blower makes a few turns, and comes out under the dash..again, BS reason.

I don't have an answer for you, but I do know my 2012 Laramie is the 1st vehicle I have owned that has a hard time heating the people space, and it is due to much lower air flow, and having the temp sensors for the auto temp up in the headliner, so since hot air rises, the air gets up there, heats the sensor, which then turns the heat down, but yet your feet are still cold. I have always had to manually control fan speed to warm up my feet in this truck as well as crank the temp up above what I want.

My 2 jeeps (96 & 88) both have the same airflow in heat as in cold......now sure why the Ram isn't the same way. It should be.

I also can't believe they have it programmed so you can't use recirc when on heat....so you always have to heat up incoming air, vice reheating the air already in the cabin.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can use recirc on heat. You just can't use it on defrost.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can use recirc on heat. You just can't use it on defrost.

On my 2012, if you put it in recirc and heat (IR floor outlet, never tried it on defrost) , after ~ 2 min, it kicks itself out of recirc.......and back to fresh air.

Per the dealer, it is designed that way, and there is nothing they can do it over-ride it.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also can't believe they have it programmed so you can't use recirc when on heat....so you always have to heat up incoming air, vice reheating the air already in the cabin.

Yeah, you can only recirculate on face and/or foot but not on defrost.. What kinda **** is that.. Stupid.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, you can only recirculate on face and/or foot but not on defrost.. What kinda **** is that.. Stupid.

The idea is that Fresh air from the outside is supposed to clear the fog and dry the windows better than air sucked from the footwell where your wet and muddy boots might be.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The idea is that Fresh air from the outside is supposed to clear the fog and dry the windows better than air sucked from the footwell where your wet and muddy boots might be.

ha ha...only time I needed to use it was when the outside air was more snow than air, and in that case...........not to mention how much colder it was

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Who rides around with wet and muddy boots.LOL
We don't get snow here..

This is only vehicle I've seen that does this.. Just find it strange.

eticket1337

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie Night Edition
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Well, the heater core doesn't restrict air flow any more than the A/C evaporator, so that's a BS reason....and the flow path being different, again, one goes thru the blower, makes a few turns, and out the dash, and the other goes thru the blower makes a few turns, and comes out under the dash..again, BS reason.

I don't have an answer for you, but I do know my 2012 Laramie is the 1st vehicle I have owned that has a hard time heating the people space, and it is due to much lower air flow, and having the temp sensors for the auto temp up in the headliner, so since hot air rises, the air gets up there, heats the sensor, which then turns the heat down, but yet your feet are still cold. I have always had to manually control fan speed to warm up my feet in this truck as well as crank the temp up above what I want.

My 2 jeeps (96 & 88) both have the same airflow in heat as in cold......now sure why the Ram isn't the same way. It should be.

I will fist agree with you that it's a BS answer, and it's not an A/C vs heat issue, when I first start / drive the truck (14 RAM), with the temp set to 71 or 72, it heats up nice, (auto or manual, no difference) but almost with out fail, after about 20 to 30 minutes, the system blows out cold air, to the point of it being uncomfortable... I have to turn the "temp" up to 78-80 to get the cabin warm again... I could believe it when it said the temp is in the headliner, but on manual, the temp sensor should be out of the picture...

I also feel it's one of "those" problems that the dealer wont be able to recreate yet it happens a lot, again after close to 30 minutes of driving...

Landry Poole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so my 2014 ram 1500 has this issue with the HVAC where when on any setting (floor, defrost, direct, etc), the cold air blow much stronger than the hot air. the hot air is literally half the intensity air speed wise. it also blows very weak out of the floor setting, again on heat only.

i am thinking its a blend door issue, but the dealer said its normal operation and claimed they researched it and that the heater core restricts airflow. ......sounds like total BS to me, and i didn't have time to leave the truck longer so i will have to drop it off another time.

IF There are any ram techs on the board, can you let me know what you think about this diagnosis? doe this sound normal to you?

IF there is anyone that has a ram 1500, can you let me know if you have the same issue and is this really normal operation?

thanks all in advance,

Landry Poole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

thanks all in advance,
Did you ever get this problem solved? My 2014 is blowing cool air out driver’s side and lukewarm out passenger and it’s a Tradesman. The airflow is next to nothing, and will not warm up cab.

Kipslonk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, it sounds like a restriction from a location through the heater circuit that isn't there in the cooling circuit. Heater core possibly.

To others with other airflow problems, if it's present in both heat & cool, it's in the ductwork. If the airflow differs by vent, there's a restriction or lack of seal on the less powerful side. If it's all areas, it could be dirt collected in the heat exchanger in the case that you don't have a cabin air filter or the cabin air filter is clogged (my 2014 Laramie's airflow was pretty low, so I added a cabin air filter so it at least wouldn't get worse).

Last edited: