Questions about the heavy chassis cabs frame design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgefan1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hello!

i am interested in getting a heavy chassis cab truck, most likely either a Dodge 5500 or a Ford F-550.

No it comes down to compare some parts and how they can be compared when it comes to use them offroad and/or with heavy payload.

So first things first i like to get come informations about the frame since it's the base component of any truck.

As far as i know, Dodge uses 50.000PSI steel while Ford's only using 36.000, so definetly a plus for dodge, but how are the measurements? I got a material thickness of 7.7mm from an 2011 pdf document but thats it. (fords using 8.1mm and adds up a 7mm sleeve in the middle section, probably necessary because of the weaker steele)

So anyone got the height and width of the rails in the middle section between the axles? (i know the dodge frame changes its height, while the ford is all way streight 7.5 inches, so this might be a little tricky)

And how about the boxed front part? Is it also 50.000psi? And is it always the same on all chassis cabs from 3500-5500 or are the 5500 boxed front parts thicker or bigger somehow? (In the case of ford those parts do differ, not in the outer dimensions, but when it comes to meterial thickness)

Thanks for any further information!

Greetings

OP
OP
D

Dodgefan1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No one ever got a chance of measuring or at least comparing this key element of the truck?

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Not a lot of chassis cabs on here. Especially 5500 lol.

Mostly just little half tons.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I haven't seen anything over the 3500 line here in my time on Ramforum.

OP
OP
D

Dodgefan1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hi,

thanks well yeah that's an explanation ;)

But maybe someone with a 3500 chassis cab? It still got the mix of boxed-frame + open c part?

Or maybe even someone with a 2500/3500 could help since i guess up to like 1-2' behind the front axle the boxed part might be the same as for the 3500 chassis cap.

Greetings

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a long shot, but what about sending a email to ram and see what kind of response you get. I definately don't see those trucks on here. Not alot of work truck here...just play toys....lol

Reactions: jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
All non chassis cabs are full boxed frame front to rear in my experience.

Chassis cabs with flatbeds are usually easily distinguished by the large frame section at the back of the cab, that on a non-chassis cab is much thinner thanks to boxing.