Questions for Ram engineers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramtradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all,

I'm new to my 2017 ram tradesman reg cab, 8' bed.
I previously had a 2012 ram outdoorsman 4-door, 6' bed.

First impressions are the new truck has a good deal more body roll. I notice it doesn't appear to have the backwards facing anti-roll bar some rams have by rear axle. It has a 'stabilizing bar' according to Ramtrucks.com.
Is this just because this is a long bed and part of overall design for truck's performance? Just surprised at how much I have to slow down for curves compared to the previous truck.

Also, I notice that under light throttle, you can sometimes hear the engine 'clacking' along. Not complaining, I think it sounds nice and mechanical. I just notice that it will go from that mechanical clacking to near silence. (even if still under the same light throttle) I don't think it is the truck going from 4-cylinder to 8-cylinder mode because it still has 'eco' lit up on the dash.
Just was curious if anyone could explain what is happening under the hood. Nothing is wrong. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't the outdoorsman have a slightly different suspension tuning and ground clearance than others?

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could always retrofit the rear sway bar.
OEMs shouldn't be hard to come by.
Lots of members here (including me) upgraded to the more sturdy Hellwig sway bar.
Where are you located?
I would give mine away for free, but am not willing to deal with shipping due to it's size.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just add hellwig from the start

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Putting on my engineering hat (not a RAM engineer though) I'd think RAM deliberately does not put the rear anti-roll bar on a regular cab/8ft bed vehicle. Belying its name, the anti-roll bars also affect over/understeer of a vehicle. With the bed being long and comparably light a rear anti-roll bar would make the truck more oversteer when empty. It's likely not noticeable much on dry roads, but more pronounced on wet/snowy/icy roads.

BlakDak71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only 2wd's that have the rear sway bar are the Sports I think.

Other than that, 4x4s all get them.

Simply a cost saving measure.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Didn't the outdoorsman have a slightly different suspension tuning and ground clearance than others?

Yessir. On the 1500's the Outdoorsman has a heavier duty suspension than all of the other trims.

That lighter suspsension is likely a large part of the reason the OP notices more body roll on his newer Tradesman.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn