Ram 1500 4wd questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Alright, I'm trying to start planning ahead for my next truck purchase. I have a 2014 CC 3.6 now, but the wife is currently driving it due to her car dying. It will probably be the end of next year, or 2019 before I get something new to me. I am not familiar with newer 4wd trucks, I'm used to the stuff in the 80's and 90's. i have lots of learning to do.

Do any trim levels of the 1500 still come with a 4wd shifter in the floor? Or is it only the 2500 and 3500 that have this?

I cant remember the transfer case numbers (44-44 and 44-45 I think), but the transfer case in higher trim levels is basically just AWD and not 4wd correct?

Is the transfer case a sealed unit, or does it have drain plug?

Anything else I missed of importance would be greatly appreciated. Basically trying to buy a truck to last a long time that I can maintain well. Wife won't get to drive this one very often, she has already taken over the one I have now. I already know I want a crew cab with the 3.92 rear. Air suspension is a no-go, too much to break.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Alright, I'm trying to start planning ahead for my next truck purchase. I have a 2014 CC 3.6 now, but the wife is currently driving it due to her car dying. It will probably be the end of next year, or 2019 before I get something new to me. I am not familiar with newer 4wd trucks, I'm used to the stuff in the 80's and 90's. i have lots of learning to do.

Do any trim levels of the 1500 still come with a 4wd shifter in the floor? Or is it only the 2500 and 3500 that have this?

I cant remember the transfer case numbers (44-44 and 44-45 I think), but the transfer case in higher trim levels is basically just AWD and not 4wd correct?

Is the transfer case a sealed unit, or does it have drain plug?

Anything else I missed of importance would be greatly appreciated. Basically trying to buy a truck to last a long time that I can maintain well. Wife won't get to drive this one very often, she has already taken over the one I have now. I already know I want a crew cab with the 3.92 rear. Air suspension is a no-go, too much to break.

I believe you can still get floor shifter on lower trims of 1500. I know for a fact you can on HD models. You are correct that the 1500 trucks have a case that is essentially AWD. Vast majority of those trucks are fine for what people use. But some of us wanted the traditional style case, which is one reason i went to an HD from my 1500.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a base model. It's not a floor shifter.. floor shifter and roll up windows are only available on 2500 and up

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well KingTuna what will you be using the truck for?? off-road, towing?? daily driver, weekend warrior at home depot??? my suggestion if your doing primarily off road is the 2500 Powerwagon all trim levels have the floor shifter if your towing alot like horses, trailers, goosenecks, 5ers go cummins cause the powerwagon has 1/2 ton towing and payload numbers or depending on your budget you might look at the 6.4 Hemi 2500 (non powerwagon) it still pulls great its just not a freight train like the cummins.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isn't it just the ones with "auto" that are like awd?

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The "auto" transfer cases don't lock up until there is wheel slip. Otherwise its a 4WD case, not the typical open AWD case. Somewhere between AWD and 4WD, depending on mode and state.

There was one 1500 model, sportsman or outdoorsman perhaps?, that had the mechanical locking transfer case with floor lever. Its availability changes from year to year. What will be offered in 2019 is a mystery.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
king tuna, i have had a few late seventies early 80s 4wd trucks. the 44-44 borg warner transfer case with the 4A auto feature has done everything i have need in all seasons on the road and the occasional fire road after a heavy rain. this transfer case exceeds anything our past trucks had. i have also never had an issue with the electronic knob selector. if i was going to do hard core off road, i would set up my wrangler for off road and use that.

OP
OP
K

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I do tow occasionally, but it's usually 5k or less, so I can't justify buying a 2500. I'd love to have one though. I don't do any serious off roading, but I do take my truck down dirt roads here in South GA when I go hunting or visit friends that live down dirt roads. If you've ever been in South Ga, you know the red clay is slicker than owl sh*t when it rains good. I currently have to be selective about when to go now due to my truck being 2wd. I also do occasionally tow a friends boat and 4wd is definitely nice getting up the boat ramps when algae is bad.

As far as the shifter and 4wd go, to me simpler is better. I'm not real fond of the electronic shifters we have now in vehicles. The highest trim level I would look at would be an outdoorsman. More than likely it will be an express or tradesman. I prefer to work on and service my own vehicles as well, which is why I was curious about the front differential. I'd like to buy new due to the factory incentives, but will definitely look at used 14 thru 16 trucks as well.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate to tell you but working on your own vehicle is becoming more and more difficult. Too many electronically controlled devices. Some of us can remember carburetors and distributors with rotors and points. THAT was working on your car! And being an older driver I have settled in to easy ownership. For that reason I spent the extra money on a lifetime warranty when I bought my CPO '14 a few months ago. I have nothing against a brake job or a bulb change if necessary, but the rest of the stuff is too complicated, and thankfully generally trouble free. I rather enjoy twisting the key and scooting off with no worries.

For you I wish good luck and happiness in whatever you wind up buying, manual transfer case or not.

OP
OP
K

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I agree it's getting harder to work on them, but it only gets worse the more electronics and features there is. I have an 85 s10 my son and I are going to stick a 327 or a ls in it the next few years, and I have a 66 Plymouth with a 440/727 in. I like to tinker and work on my own stuff. I'd rather buy the right Ram and be able to change the front differential fluid vs having a sealed unit if possible. Just like these fill for life transmissions, I'll be changing the fluid at about 75 or 80k miles.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Luckily, at least on Rams, the electronic select knob has not been known to have issues. There are of course isolated incidents. But you shouldnt worry too much about that failing. If you are going 1500 you may not have a choice anyway.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Luckily, at least on Rams, the electronic select knob has not been known to have issues. There are of course isolated incidents. But you shouldnt worry too much about that failing. If you are going 1500 you may not have a choice anyway.
I agree..don't be afraid of the technology as its pretty rare to fail.

Your going to be stuck with power windows, door locks air and cruise control anyhow! ( rough life!)

I opted for the vinyl floor in mine which might be nice for the mud you speak of

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not afraid of the technology, I'd just like to get it as simple as possible if I am able to. Been doing some reading on the "Is anybody happy with the 44-44 transfer case" thread, and I'll definitely be getting an express or tradesman with the 44-45 transfer case. Seems like they engineered the clutch system in the 44-44 for luxury trucks who basically just need AWD for snow, heavy rain, etc. I need something when I put it in 4wd, power is going to the front wheels, not just when the rear starts to slip. I'm good with power windows and door locks, but that's about as much technology as I want. I'll pass on heated seats, air suspension, and all that other stuff that will cost thousands of dollars to fix once the 3 year/ 36K warranty is up.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Sounds like a Express or Outdoorsman is up your ally.

The Express was for me.