Ram 1500 vs. F-150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexley74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey folks,

I'm in the market for a new truck and have narrowed it down to the Ram 1500 Crew Laramie or Sport 4x4 or a F-150 Lariat 4x4. I'm sure some of you had similar comparisons when you bought. I'm curious what made you decide to go with Ram. Price wise while sticker is nearly identical between the trucks, Ford beats Ram hands down on pricing, to the tune of $4k savings. For instance, the trucks I'm looking at have stickers of roughly $48,500. The Ford I can get for $36,500 whereas the Ram is $40k.

Please let me know what ultimately made you go Ram vs. Ford.

Thanks

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I'd say 99% of us here would go Dodge. Except Ramhunter........he's that 1% that just went Ford. :D

I'm wondering how you got Ford to dip that low? I never hear a 12K discount on them.

In the end, whatever works for you man. Which do YOU like better?

Its like going into a burger king and asking which is better, the Whopper or Big Mac? You know what they are going to say. ;)

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best thing to do is go out and drive both. I chose the Ram because to me it was more affordable and more comfortable.

on the move..

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
Your comparing the highest end RAM to a mid-level Ford offering? Of course there is a price difference. Try comparing the Ford sport to a RAM SLT

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd say 99% of us here would go Dodge. Except Ramhunter........he's that 1% that just went Ford. :D

I'm wondering how you got Ford to dip that low? I never hear a 12K discount on them.

In the end, whatever works for you man. Which do YOU like better?

Its like going into a burger king and asking which is better, the Whopper or Big Mac? You know what they are going to say. ;)

This ^^^^^

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cant go wrong with either truck these days. Both very high quality. As mentioned earlier maybe you are comparing higherend ram with mid level ford. But either way you have to look at what you like more overall. Maybe there is a certain way to would like to mod your truck and one truck will give you the look you want over the other. Interior, preformance, warrenty, etc are all things you got to look at and be happy with it

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
My sister just bought an F150 Platinum crew cab...I gotta say it's a damn nice truck.
I bought my Ram based on looks and what I could build out of it....for what I'm doing the new Ford's or Chevy's just didn't have what I was looking for. Both were very nice trucks though.

06ironhorse

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 REBEL
Engine
hemi 5.7
I always considered myself a die hard ford guy. I had been out of the truck market for a while as i had a 64 ford f100 as my last truck before my dodge and drove mustangs daily till i decided i wanted a newer truck. So Ifirst wentto the fords thinking that is what id buy, but the ride was not much better than my old ford and interior felt cheap to me mine you it was no platnium edition that i was looking at. Soi drove the dodge on the lot and feel in love with her. The ride is exceptional and the interior feels much more refined to me. Like i said not top of the line models slt vs. Xlt. That being said when its time to get a new truck again it will be hard to leave dodge though im sure i will look at ford again. P. S. Wo.t be caught dead in a bow tie

jasf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The FX4 is not a mid level truck. Mine was loaded-leather,moonroof etc....I think only the Platinum & Ltd are higher up on the food chain. Ford wouldn't budge on pricing,GM dealers kept pushing toward trucks I didn't want & my local Dodge dealers made me the best deal. Ride & power I like the Ram hands down. Interior I think was better in the Ford. Long story,but I own a Ram because my Wife talked me into getting rid of my F150 for an Explorer.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Your comparing the highest end RAM to a mid-level Ford offering? Of course there is a price difference. Try comparing the Ford sport to a RAM SLT

I get what you are saying but Laramie is not highest anymore they came out with Laramie Longhorn and Laramie Limited so higher end middle now days. Ford has more trim choices overall I believe. I out crew trims below I know RT is reg cab only for Ram not sure about Ford exception trims.

Below are the F150 SCrew trims
3evunave.jpg
9usyra9a.jpg
ysyveqep.jpg

Below Ram 1500 Crew trims
uvahetyr.jpg
ta6ypatu.jpg
$miley

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Pretty much what I expected, not that you helped the situation any.. Damn, proof read man!!:idiot:

Ignorance is bliss good to see it is plentiful over in that forum. They both have advantages if you can't see that you have blinders on.

If nothing else this Ram Forum has better people :)

Best post I read was this obvious oversight.

ra3anybu.jpg

$miley

Last edited:

atticusfaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't say I'm surprised by the opinions over there but there does seem to be a little less objectivity! Hahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
I wonder if you still get a free pallet of oil dry with each new Ford purchase. I don't remember if they stopped doing that or not. :poop:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
One of the most silly things people compare and act like it is a big deal is tow rating on Ram 1500 vs others. No secret Ram designed the 1500 for what most do with it. A mix of family fun and daily tasks that don't need 12000 lbs. I would bet that most of us with 1500's chose them because they are a good blend and not going to tow a house with it.

$miley

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want to compare trim levels then compare Laramie Longhorn to the new Ford Limited. Ram does not make a '13 Limited, that was a '12. If you want to compare '12 models, compare the Larimie Longhorn to the Platnum. Dont compare the Laramie to the Lariat, Compare the Lariat to a well equipped Big Horn.

Dollar for Dollar you get more truck with the Ram. more HP as well.

Ford has a good truck, and they are very proud of it.

Personally it came down to curb appeal and price, Ram won both.

Ike

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I was looking at f150s last fall. I test drove a few and wasn't blown away. I liked the exterior styling but I found the interior horrible. It looked liked it was pieced together from the parts of lesser trucks. Even the Platinum interior looked awful with that silver fake wood everywhere... Wasn't a total deal breaker. In the end I stopped by the Dodge dealer and really liked the interior and ride of the ram. The dodge guys really made me a much better deal too. Test drive both, buy the one that you like! Good luck

Soundwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was not a truck guy, and still really don't consider myself one. I had nothing but sport cars up until a few months ago, and now here I am. With that said, when I looked at the trucks I wasn't a fan of anything, because I've never cared about brand. With that said, I spent 4-5 months going to dealers, getting a feel, comparing options, comparing prices, and seeing what suited me best.

When it came down to it, my favorite was the Chevy. Mainly because of the price. It was 36k fully loaded thanks to truck month, and walking away from the truck 4 times. We got a weekly call with a price drop from that dealer while I kept looking. In the end, I hadn't put much attention in the Ram, but when I did...it became my favorite. The trucks really all perform the same, and handle similarly. The rear coils in the Ram really do make a noticeable difference, but neither the Chevy or Ford were "bad" rides. The subtlety of the Dodge is what got me. It is a lot nicer than the Ford and Chevy on the inside and the outside styling received a lot more attention. It looks the most aggressive of the three to me. What it's going to come down to is what you choose though. There's a lot of guys that will rag the other brands because they aren't what they like, or have had. You're gonna have your own bias no matter what anyone says, you're just trying to figure out which it is right now lol.

TL;DR answer:
-Crew cab seemed more spacious
-5.7 Hemi!
-Gas mileage (not compared to ecoboost)
-Interior and Exterior styling/attention
-price...38k for a big horn. Features not included that I don't have that a Laramie might have that I kind of wanted, but wasn't willing to spend more on. Memory seats, rear view camera, DVD, backup sensors, remote start. A few of those can be bought and added easily though.

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All these guys on that ford forum ****** crap about only seeing rams in their mirror instead of in front of them but my truck with 11" of lift and 37's can beat a stock ford...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I love when people talk about racing because I seriously do not care. I only care about what I like if I bought a ford I would get the 6.2L for sure.

$miley