RAM 8speed competition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So we all love the 8speed for the most part. I cant say much but some of Chryslers 8 speed parts are going to be in a new ford 8speed. The assumption is it will be in the HD trucks judging by the size of the part. Just a guess though.

I found this out at a customers shop today. I held the parts myself. Pritty cool info. Just wanted to share.

So now we have chrystler/ram sharing parts with ford, and ford and GM sharing drivtrain parts as well and chrystler and GM also sharing drivtrain parts.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Not unusual as most manufacturers source these parts from third party firms, such as Eaton, American Gear, New Process, etc...

Look at how many vehicle makers were affected last year by one airbag producer, Takata.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Not unusual as most manufacturers source these parts from third party firms, such as Eaton, American Gear, New Process, etc...

Look at how many vehicle makers were affected last year by one airbag producer, Takata.

Right. I just thought it was cool that Ford is going to have an 8 speed too.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That is cool. My Dodge has the NVg transfer case. same one as a TON of GM vehicles form the mid 2000's

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
10 speed, not eight, and they already have it.

Check out the 2017 Raptor.

I know they have a 10 speed I'm telling you what I was told by the manufacture of the part. He said it was for a new Ford 8speed.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
He could be way wrong but thats what he said.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Could it be possible that the 8 speed that Chrysler makes uses some of same parts as fords 10 speed?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Could it be possible that the 8 speed that Chrysler makes uses some of same parts as fords 10 speed?

i thought the eight speed came out first.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i thought the eight speed came out first.
it did . it came in 2013. the Chrysler 8 speed is a zf which is german with the exception of the 8 speed in the v6 trucks which is a Chrysler made trans. i doubt zf is selling pieces of transmissions but you never know

tuned by Jay Greene

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
So we all love the 8speed for the most part. I cant say much but some of Chryslers 8 speed parts are going to be in a new ford 8speed. The assumption is it will be in the HD trucks judging by the size of the part. Just a guess though.

I found this out at a customers shop today. I held the parts myself. Pritty cool info. Just wanted to share.

So now we have chrystler/ram sharing parts with ford, and ford and GM sharing drivtrain parts as well and chrystler and GM also sharing drivtrain parts.

The 6R140 TorqShift is fairly new, so the only possibility is if Ford wanted to squeeze a bit more economy from the HD pickups. And that might be it, if true.

I read a story about the Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon early development back in the late '70s. Three-speed manual transmissions were still somewhat available, and that's what the plan was to offer. The engineers said the momentum was clearly in favor of five-speed overdrive manuals as base transmissions in comparable cars and pleaded for one. After some bargaining, a compromise of a four-speed manual was struck, and the cars went to production whit a clean-sheet design for FWD.

Some time afterwards, Chrysler was dismayed seeing poor sales and the four-speed manual was cited as one of the factors, so the decision was made to get a 5MOD in production ASAP. Unknown to the executives, the engineers had anticipated a change of heart and revealed the transmission was actually designed as a 5MOD and would require minimal work to configure as such.

So, I wouldn't rule out Ford anticipating a higher amount of gears would be needed for the future and designed that in.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Ford 10 speed is a very similar design to the ZF 8 speed, but I doubt they share any major components.