Ram Recall - Software Glitch - 5.12.2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I didn't see anyone post this yet so figured I would share.

Link: Fiat Chrysler recalls 1.3 million Ram pickups for fatal software problem - May. 12, 2017

"Fiat Chrysler recalls 1.3 million Ram pickups for fatal software problem

By Chris Isidore May 12, 2017: 8:14 AM ET

Fiat Chrysler is recalling 1.3 million pickup trucks because of a software problem tied to at least one death and two injuries.

The problem could disable side airbags from deploying and seat belts from tightening in a rollover accident.

If there is a significant impact on the truck's underbody, Fiat Chrysler says the truck's safety system could incorrectly conclude that a sensor underneath the truck has failed. If a sensor does fail, the truck's safety system is designed to suppress the airbags from deploying and seat belts from tightening when they are not supposed to.

That's why there is a risk if there is a subsequent rollover.

The good news is the driver should be alerted to this problem by a instrument cluster warning light. If the light comes on, drivers should then turn the truck off, and then turn the key back into the on/run position to verify that the light is no longer on. They should also follow instructions on their recall notice.

The company said it is aware of two accidents in which this problem happened, which resulted in one death and two injuries.

The affected vehicles are the 2013-16 Ram 1500 and 2500 pickups, and 2014-2016 Ram 3500 pickups.

The recall covers about 1 million pickups in the United States and another 270,000 in foreign countries."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tdavidson48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just saw this on Google News, hopefully there is a way to check which trucks are included in this.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i checked that link and the ram owners section and both show no recalls for my truck.

So either my truck is not affected, or the recall list is not published yet.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read in a different article that the recall was expected to begin around June 23rd. So I'm thinking that the data is not available yet on the site to determine if a truck is affected. Mine had nothing listed either.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i checked that link and the ram owners section and both show no recalls for my truck.

So either my truck is not affected, or the recall list is not published yet.

Same for mine, I'll keep checking though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
forget this one for me as I JUST had the new PCM installed yesterday

I wouldn't count it out. I highly doubt your PCM has any of the new software/updates on it. Also, since the recall hasn't been released, I doubt that the dealers have access to the update yet.

Just saying...

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wouldn't count it out. I highly doubt your PCM has any of the new software/updates on it. Also, since the recall hasn't been released, I doubt that the dealers have access to the update yet.

Just saying...

I think he's saying he's not bringing his truck in for the recall because he has an unlocked PCM. I won't be bringing mine in either.

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram Recall - pretty large one (1.25mil vehicles: 2013-16 15/2500's, 2014-16 3500's).

Smart move by Fiat Chrysler. According to the news it's an airbag/seatbelt issue with rollovers. The recall is being issued based on one known fatality.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/business/ram-pickup-truck-recall-fiat-chrysler.html?_r=0

I'm not saying it isn't serious, but I think the media really sensationalizes the story as if it's life or death. It could be, but it's not like this issue has/is happening left and right.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Cool, thanks.

Sent using questionably obtained encription technology

OP
OP
R

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Maybe I will use the trip to the dealership as a reason to get the OEM backup camera installed!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
R47 and now this, testament to a sub par electronics and computer systems used by FCA.
Shame really.
Either way , just like R47 I'll instruct dealership not to perform said recall should i ever visit dealership that is.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn