to Ram or to stay in Avalanche

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goetterjaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
-none-
Engine
-none
I currently drive an 2010 Avalanche with 4WD and really like the truck.
But I am not too happy about my interest rate (3.9%), so my wife said to consider a new truck.
Looking at the options (RAM, F-150 and Silverado) the RAM looks very nice.
BUT I don't want a MAP worse than mine.
On paper the Avalanche (15/21) beats the RAM (V8-6speed) (14/19).
In real life (33k miles) I run at 16mpg.
Now I wonder what is a true MPG for a RAM with:
V8
8-Speed
4-WD
Bed-cover
Air -Suspension

Any thoughts?

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
I'm sure lots of people will chime in, but I've seen quite a few people with V8s say they see 20MPG regularly. I'm kind of jealous, seems like I'm lucky to hit 17 or 18 on the hwy

Also note I have a 2012, and the 2013 RAMs are supposed to be significantly more efficient

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I loved my Avalanche but ended up with winning a lemon law on for a suspension problem. I loved the Avi because of the way it is set up, you know how much use that back is if you don't haul a lot of stuff. The Avi is like the coolest mini van on steroids ever made. I miss being able to take a nap on long trips like you can in the avi, that is the best thing about that setup. It depends on how use use it whether or not you should go with a truck. I have a 2010 Dodge ram Hemi and it is my favorite vehicle ever, it suits me right down to the bone. But my Avalanche was also one of my three favorite vehicles ever if it wasn't for the lemon law case.

I wouldn't buy another Chevy if you paid me they have 3 strikes- 3 vehicles- all new- all junk- all in the last decade- all 3 stinky air conditioners!!, don't have any problems with Ford owned many and still love Ford, but it is *** no mistake the Dodge is winning truck of the year so often. I live down a bumpy country road, and this truck is smooth over the bumps with the coil back suspension, and at 400 hp this baby hauls the mail when I need it or feel like it. Real world gas mileage is a tad over 16.*** I just tested it at about 75% free way and 25% city and that was the number for my hemi, just over 16mpg. I have no idea where you are getting your numbers, I thought the new rams are even better at MPG then the 2010, at least that is what the commercial says.

If I was that concerned with mpg, I would tell the dealer you want a 50 mile test drive and test the mpg yourself, even pay for the gas if you have too. If it comes near the sticker mpg, then go for it. If the dealer says no, to hell with them.

Bottom line is your interest rate is not bad for a truck, if you aren't have any issues and you don't haul stuff, stay in your Avi. But if you want to buy a new truck, there is none better then Dodge right now. I have zero regrets with my dodge and that is from someone who has regretted every other vehicle purchase since 1993 when I bought my other favorite vehicle a Bronco. In between the two I have had at least 10 dogs that I couldn't wait to get rid of. I am going to drive this Dodge into the ground, I hope at least 2 decades.

Last edited:

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I also had a loaded out avalanche before the dodge dont miss it one bit i mean sure it was nice but the dodge just out does it in every way. Also with the avalanche my transmission went out within the third month that i had it and my brothers silverado the transmisson also went out very fast (within 500 miles)

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you keep your foot off the gas and let the vvt do its job you'll see some nice numbers but that's kinda hard when you have a hemi lol

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I picked up a 2012 Sport with the 5.7 last month. AWESOME driving truck! No comparison to my sierra. The interior is sweet too. I Actually liked the boxy look of the ford and gmc a little better, but the Ram is second to none when it comes to drivability and comfort. The hemi screams if you have the 3.92 rear end. However, I think it costs you in gas milage. On a 200 mile trip last weekend I got 15 overall. About 14 on the highway at 75mph. Not quite as good as my GMC, for what its worth. I do love the truck though!! No regrets

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Didn't Ram start putting a V6 in the '13s? If so, I'm sure they would quote the MPG for that on the commercials.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The first couple months I had my '07 I drove it on an 8 hour one way trip once or twice a month, all freeway the whole way. If I drove 70 I could get around 21mpg. That was everything stock. I drafted a big rig for about 30 minutes one time halfway through the trip and hit 27mpg. That fell back down rather quickly after he exited.

Ram-NB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
15 city and 17.5 hwy in my '13 with 6speed trans. Same as I was getting in my '09 V6 Toyota Tacoma!!!! I love this truck!! I hear the 8 speed gets better mileage but I would worry about the transmission constantly hunting for the right gear and overheating when hauling a load or trailer. I would wait a couple years and read feedback from customers before buying the 8speed. I personally wouldn't buy a new vehicle the first year of a major update! But what the heck do I know! LOL!!!

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Definitely want to see some real mpg numbers on a Hemi and 8 speed transmission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
But I am not too happy about my interest rate (3.9%), so my wife said to consider a new truck.

Any thoughts?

If your motivation for trading is to save money, you aren't going to. You are going to take a loss on your trade that's going to be far and above what you are paying in interest over the life of the loan. What rate do you expect to get on a new loan? How much difference would there be?

If you want a new truck, go for it. If its really about the interest rate, meaning money, you're going about it bass ackwards. You'll be far ahead financially to keep what you have and accelerate payments if possible.

Ram357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2012 and when I bought it I drove 2 and a half hours from the dealership and I was getting like 21 on the highway. I did the speed limit the whole entire time but my city driving i get around 15 unless I smash down the pedal which is 90% of the time....

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Everything they say about the V8 and TF8 combo is AT LEAST a 10% increase in MPG. I personally think with the grill louvers and A8 and 3.55 you should see more, but time will tell.

I know I'm waiting for the A8. No reason for me not to. It's a ZF sourced transmission and ZF is well known for their quality pieces. The dash knob is odd, but like anything, I'll get used to it.

Chris

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didn't Ram start putting a V6 in the '13s? If so, I'm sure they would quote the MPG for that on the commercials.

Rams have had v6 for years(like since 1994 that I know of). But yes the 25 mpg is the v6 with 8 speed

Definitely want to see some real mpg numbers on a Hemi and 8 speed transmission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Gonna be a while for that as they are just becoming able to order

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I actually wanted a '13, because of the electric power steering, (which would account for the 5 hp gain over the '12 due to removal of drag of the pump), the grill shutters and the air suspension (which is also credited with the fuel milage bump) But when you look at the extra cost of the Air suspension ($1500.00) I figured the only difference would be the amount of time I would have to wait and the $ down. I got a pretty good deal on a '12 with everything I wanted. I drove both the '12 and the '13 and didnt notice any difference. Both were comfortable and handled great.

I have a 2012 Laramie QC 4x4 now with about 1400 mis and I avg. 13.5 in the city. and I am driving a bit more gingerly than I did my Silverado with a 5.3. But this Hemi has a lot more power (390 HP) than the Silverado (315)

Ike

Last edited:

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
Best so far with my 2012 was 19.4 MPG round trip to go snowboarding in NH last weekend. That's a mix of Hwy and backroads. I was shocked!

OP
OP
G

Goetterjaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
-none-
Engine
-none
Thanks for the feedback.
Recently I measured the avg. MPG on a few miles on the freeway at 75 mph and I was getting less than 18mpg.
To work and back I am running at 15.8mpg...

It seems the bigger issue is to get Dealers letting me know if they have a air ride truck and non air ride truck for a direct comparison test-drive.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As long as you are happy with your current ride, why change it. And if you really wanna get a Ram (which is a good thing, don't get me wrong), then sell you ride privately and don't trade it in. You will only lose, just to safe some % in financing. Go again through your numbers and then decide.

OP
OP
G

Goetterjaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
-none-
Engine
-none
Some things that I don't like about my Avalanche:
- Sunroof (I am 6'6" and an inch more headroom would mean I don't bump my head)
- Bed is a bit too short to fit 2 bicycles in under the cover (hence the need for a 6'4" bed)
- Nav system is outdated and new maps cost $200
- Rattling sound from glove box that Chevy could not yet fix
- Warranty about to expire (in October)
- 3.9% interest rate
- MPG not as good as I would like it to be

Since I don't two anything, I would be happy with a V6. Ford offers a 2+2 door cab with an 8' bed and a V6 eco-boost. Problem is that the F150 has a rougher ride.
A Ram with a 6'4" bed and a V6 and air suspension would be ideal, but the SLT can't be equipped with heated/cooled seats