RANT about my open differential !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramtruck4life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this is just a rant about my truck have a open dif because its driving me NUTS, in the summer not so much but now with winter and ice/snow every time i go to take off from a light,corner,drive way dont matter i get stuck because i got 1 damn wheel that turns.. cant play around as soon as i would like because once again 1 tire turns!! last couple days iv been driving the company truck, chevy 2wd with ****** tires and it takes off good on ice/snow gets side ways exactly how i want it to i love it... It makes my truck looks stupid...

that is all :suicide:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Easy fix!

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Don't the new rams have traction control, just thinking out loud but my LX Car which is open diff if I turn off the TC and give it gas with a bit of a brake stand I can get both tires to smoke at the same time, however I don't drive it winters.

Gears and Auburn=3K

OP
OP
ramtruck4life

ramtruck4life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't the new rams have traction control, just thinking out loud but my LX Car which is open diff if I turn off the TC and give it gas with a bit of a brake stand I can get both tires to smoke at the same time, however I don't drive it winters.

Gears and Auburn=3K
ya i have zero traction control i pulled my abs fuse so it was it even worst because nothing`s holding it back..

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So does that mean we talk about why Steve McQueen switched to Open Diff after wrecking several Bullit Cars During the shooting!

2serious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also hate my open diff!!! I've looked on eBay for a 2012 rear diff with 3.55 posi

OP
OP
ramtruck4life

ramtruck4life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i hear yee... i wish i would of paid a little more attention when i bought the truck!!
my dad has a 2011 outdoorsmen with 3.93 and a LSD and its SWEET..

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would like 3.90 + Posi if not the 4.10 + Posi from an R/T.

One of these days...

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
So I take it if I build myself a 2013 ram, the Locking dif is something I should pay the cash for? Forgive my lack of understanding for some of the more technical aspects of the truck. There seems to be nothing to lose by having a locking dif, besides a couple hundred bucks, am I missing something? Sounds too good to be true.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty Well! Benefits for Towing and getting her rolling quicker. But Just some FYI. Posi (Trans-Lok for Fords...ha...ha) is the safe term to use but Technically LSD though which is Limited Slip Diff, Locker is a term associated with the Aftermarket Detroit Locker set-up which I beleive does not have Clutches or require friction Modifier like an LSD and it performs better offroad and doesn't behave as nice on the street for turning like the LSD. The 4th Gen guys or the Dealer should be able to tell you the available options (3.92 I'm Guessing) and you want to see it on the Build sheet before you take the keys that way if you do a burnout later and leave only one Mark you have a document to shove back at them.

Last edited:

2serious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont mind the.3.55 as i dont tow often and do highway more. Iwill when ever they make a posi be buying the aftermarket if i dont find a factory one till then.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
So I take it if I build myself a 2013 ram, the Locking dif is something I should pay the cash for? Forgive my lack of understanding for some of the more technical aspects of the truck. There seems to be nothing to lose by having a locking dif, besides a couple hundred bucks, am I missing something? Sounds too good to be true.

I just ordered mine and got the 3.92 with LSD. I got the LSD in my F150 4x4 almost 15 years ago and am SO glad I did. It's worth the cost!! It's easier to drive an open diff fast because it doesn't allow the back end to step out nearly as easily, but that's NO fun!! lol. 2 wheels are better than 1.

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Ah ha! All credit goes to ehow.com for the information and google for being awesome.
Function

Non-sport-oriented vehicles traditionally house stock open differentials. An open differential directs increased wheel rotation to the outside wheel while turning. When a tire loses traction, an open differential directs power to the wheel with the least amount of resistance. A limited-slip differential sends equal power to the wheels when driving straight and compensates traction loss by sending more power to the wheel with the most traction.
Performance

Since an open differential directs more power to the wheel with the least amount of resistance, in the event of a loss of traction when turning, drivers will more easily lose control. Limited-slip differentials distribute wheel power where needed, reducing traction loss around turns. Better management of wheel rotation increases handling, traction and safety from spin-outs during quick turns.
Considerations

Performance-oriented drivers will benefit from handling and traction gains associated with limited-slip differentials. Non-performance-oriented drivers who do not face adverse road conditions such as rain, mud or ice may find no advantage to limited-slip differentials.

Read more: Limited Slip Vs. Standard Open Differential Handling | eHow.com Limited Slip Vs. Standard Open Differential Handling | eHow.com

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
LSD rear end would fix that. 4x4 works good too.

Meathook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex Fuel
My 08 came with on open diff. I didn't pay attention to the window sticker. All I knew is it said 4WD. It got changed out after a spider gear exploded. Running a Detroit Tru-Trac now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam