Ratcheting noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erskine2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok everyone this is my first post ever on ram fourm... Have some questions about my 2011 ram 1500 4x4... #1 ratcheting sound when coasting around 25 35 mph??? Dosen't happen if in tow/haul mode or if i put it in neutral... Any ideas sounds like a baseball card in ur spokes when we were kids...

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok everyone this is my first post ever on ram fourm... Have some questions about my 2011 ram 1500 4x4... #1 ratcheting sound when coasting around 25 35 mph??? Dosen't happen if in tow/haul mode or if i put it in neutral... Any ideas sounds like a baseball card in ur spokes when we were kids...

Welcome to the forum, sorry your having this issue.

Is 4x4 engaged when it happens? Tow mode disables the OD on the gears. I was thinking rear end but it would still make the noise while in neutral. So it sounds like it is related to transmission?

How many miles?
How is your trans fluid? Burnt?
Any leaks at rear end?
How is it shifting?
What type of mods do you have?
Front end Mods?
Tires?

I'll be following along, hopefully with more information someone will be able to point you in the right direction. This is a wonderful forum with a lot of smart people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Erskine2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input. And no not when 4x4 is engaged. Also the sound is from the front end. I've got 80,000 mi on it also my fluids are good no leaks nothing burnt . i have noticed a lot of people have had or are having this isue but no body seems to actually know what the problem is... Heard maybe u joints?

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it clunk at all during front to rear? Is their any fluid near your U-Joint. I'm not sure that noise is consistent with a U-Joint.
Have you jacked it up to check your wheel bearings? ( long shot here).
Being that it does not do it in Tow/Haul mode,over 35 mph or in neutral makes me believe you could have a broken tooth or something in one of the gears in your transmission.

I hope someone can chime in and help out more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk