Real Spare Tire (20" Wheel) Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got another OEM 20" wheel, put a real tire on it (as opposed to the temporary crap that comes on the 17" steelie), and tried to winch it into place.

Problem: the spare tire carrier is too big to fit through the center bore. Seriously. The minimum diameter is actually a hair under 2", despite the center bore size of 3" (78.1mm).

Prospective Solutions:

1) Get a different spare tire carrier that has a minimum width < 2" & cut it to fit over the cable.

2) Cut off the cable retainer, thread the cable & carrier through the wheel center, and reattach some sort of quick release retainer (have yet to find such a retainer).

I don't like either solution - anyone else run into this? How did you solve it?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Maybe you could fashion a retainer for the retainer? Same design as what holds the tire up but it's "loose" so when the tires on the ground you could slide the "sub retainer" which is attached to the cable through the original retainer (which would need some modifications).

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Id say neither a or b.

Keep a tire repair kit in your truck and have a compressor capable of filling up your tire. Or even a 5lb co2 tank would be wayy more than enough to fill about 10 tires.

Cant really think of a time that the sidewall would just blow out and need to replace a whole tire, other than off roading.. Then just strap your spare in the bed.

Just my .2

IMO

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It is all fun and games until the tire can't be repaired. A cheap $30 compressor from Walmart is worth the investment though.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find a 3rd Gen spare wheel, put you tire of choice, hoist right up.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I thought the spare included with 20" wheel option trucks still had the same rolling diameter even though it was on a different size rim?

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Better than no spare at all like they are doing in a lot of cars these days. They give you basically a can of fix a flat. I **** you not.

QFTT. Just bought my wife a new Caravan, it was EXTRA for a spare tire. Standard is an air pump with "Fix a Flat"... And its like 200 bucks for the spare its its just a doughnut. I may go junk yard hopping and try and fine one. But I aint paying 200 bucks for that! I have AAA..

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! Then it is a non-issue from a technical point.

It's a non-issue using the OEM temporary spare provided that you don't need to drive more than 50 miles. You are correct that the overall diameter is very close to the 275/60/20 (33") size. The OEM spare is maybe an inch smaller.

The issue I'm having:

The spare tire retainer (connected to the spare tire hoist under the truck bed) too big to fit through the alloy wheel's center bore.

I went to the dealer yesterday to ask them and the tech suggested:
- Cut off the OEM retainer
- Get a 6" x 6" x 1/4" steel plate
- Drill a 1" hole in the center of the steel plate
- Cut a 1/8" slit from the edge of the plate to the center hole
- Use said plate as a new retainer

I'll try to post pics and report back when done.

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
QFTT. Just bought my wife a new Caravan, it was EXTRA for a spare tire. Standard is an air pump with "Fix a Flat"... And its like 200 bucks for the spare its its just a doughnut. I may go junk yard hopping and try and fine one. But I aint paying 200 bucks for that! I have AAA..

Sadly a primary reason for this strategy is CAFE since that spare is a little bit of weight.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The spare is a joke on these trucks. Even my Focus ST had a full size 16" wheel and tire. Then again, that was only because the front brakes were so big nothing smaller then a 16 would fit, but that is besides the point.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just curious have any of you actually used the spare?

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious have any of you actually used the spare?
i nailed a banjo bolt a few months back. Didn't notice it until the top wore off and exposed the hole and my TPMS light came on.

Had to use the spare for a day and a half.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
It's a non-issue using the OEM temporary spare provided that you don't need to drive more than 50 miles. You are correct that the overall diameter is very close to the 275/60/20 (33") size. The OEM spare is maybe an inch smaller.

Must be different then on the 1500's. On the 2500's, the spare is a full duty tire regardless of wheel size.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the 2500 has a full sized spare no matter what wheel size, would the "parts"(retainer) be interchangeable with a 1500 although the wheel might be different? Just an idea-----
Jay