Rear End CLUNK letting off brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm surprised Ram didn't figure this out yet with the amount of complaints alone on this forum. I guess they will once the splines start getting destroyed on multiple truck.

Been doing it for much longer than this forum has been around...my 79 Ramcharger had the same issue...........in fact my truck was in 4wheeler magazine with pics showing the problem and how to fix it many years ago.

Rvanbel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great to hear. I have a 2015 2wd with the same problem, been driving me crazy. Thanks

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for sharing this. I just started having this problem and haven't had time to take it in yet. So I'm happy to hear it's nothing crazy. I'll update and see what dealership says regarding fixing this.

JRDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is exactly what's happening to my 2017 Ram. Just picked it up second hand. I was wondering so I don't make any mistakes if anyone has pictures with a procedure or a video of taking the rear drive shaft off, inspecting it, cleaning it, greasing it up, and putting it back on?

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is exactly what's happening to my 2017 Ram. Just picked it up second hand. I was wondering so I don't make any mistakes if anyone has pictures with a procedure or a video of taking the rear drive shaft off, inspecting it, cleaning it, greasing it up, and putting it back on?

Happens to mine too. I will show the original post to the dealership when i take mine in and they should do it. If not a how to video would be great. Hell ill even pay the OP to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16ramdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Not sure if this is the right section but this is a problem with many ram trucks and I could never get a answer to what caused it. Even my dealer blew it off as inherent to my model truck... well that was Bull. I wanted to share this to all as many will benefit if only by knowing what to tell the dealer the issue is. This should be a sticky!
Here is your problem and how to eliminate it; This is for 1500 2wd Ram trucks with two piece drive shafts, other models may use same design I'm not sure.

Problem solved!!!! Here it is guys i figured it out and fixed it! 2015 crew can 5.7 8 speed developed the clunk when you apply the brakes and stop then as you let off CLUNK or sometimes like someone tapped your rear bumper, well i figured it out and fixed it today, now all my stops are smooth as butter. These trucks have a two piece drive shaft on the rear section if you get down and look you will see a rubber accordion looking boot with two metal bands securing it. this covers where the drive shaft is two pieces the rear one that slips inside the front one these two parts are fluted and slide together on the splines. Well i had a Chevy Z71 that had a similar set up that did the same thing. So it dawned on me this is exactly the same thing, so we pulled the back section of the shaft and removed the boot sure enough same concept as the Chevy both pieces were supposed to be greased up good so when you stop the piece slides in smoothly and when you let off brake it slides back smoothly, what i found was dry spots and even some light rust ( only 10k on truck) also you could see where the shaft was dry and trying to slide it had made ruff marks on the wide splines, so we took some emery cloth sand paper and smoothed all the roughness off and greased the heck out of all the splines with Green Grease this stuff is slick as owl **** and water proof it stays where you put it. Put shaft back together be sure to mark the two pieces so you get it back like it came apart then torque flange bolts to 85 lb and use 242 lock tight. I guarantee you this will fix that damn clunk! I hope the fix lasts a long time the Chevy did. But if you had to redo it in 20-30k its not that hard to do took about a hour and a half but now that i now exactly what to do i could do in under a hour. After my dealers remarks I did this myself as I know my work is better than what they would have done but I'm sure if you can get them to check it, warranty would cover them doing it. UPDATE!!!!!!! The grease worked well for awhile but my clunk started very lightly to come back so I re did the job with C5A copper anti seize its now smoother than ever and seems to be holding up well..
img_2413.jpg

Do you have a video or images that you can post for us to see/