Rear End Vibration!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckie707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright guys my 14 1500 has been in dealer for 2 weeks now with a driveline vibration at highway speeds more in rear end area. Dealer has been throwing parts at it has anyone had this issue and actually had it fixed ??

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Use the search function. Plenty of threads on drive line vibration. Causes are varied.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to Internet diagnose without more info, things that have changed recently, modifications, lifted or lowered etc....

Only thing that comes to mind is there was a recall a few years back regarding pinion nuts loosening.. this would cause a vibration, but at any speed.

OP
OP
T

Truckie707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck suspension is stock they already changed u joints and driveshaft are about to change the entire rear end they said read a few forums that some people had all this changed and it never went away curious to see if anyone else had that issue

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck suspension is stock they already changed u joints and driveshaft are about to change the entire rear end they said read a few forums that some people had all this changed and it never went away curious to see if anyone else had that issue

I blew mine to pieces... the whole pinion was loose... It was all covered under the recall I mentioned. I'm guessing since its at a dealer they would have checked if your truck falls into this recall... but my guess is a bearing of some sort

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to Internet diagnose without more info, things that have changed recently, modifications, lifted or lowered etc....

Only thing that comes to mind is there was a recall a few years back regarding pinion nuts loosening.. this would cause a vibration, but at any speed.

IIRC the pinion nut recall was on the 3rd gen trucks.

OP
OP
T

Truckie707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wouldn't a bad pinion nut give you a vibration at all times ?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Negative, it was also on 4th gens... cause i own one that was repaired under the recall. Here's the info

Safety Recall N08 / NHTSA 13V-038
Rear Axle Pinion Nut
NOTE: Vehicles that are involved in Safety Recall M34 are not included in this recall.
2009 - 2012 (DS) RAM Truck (1500 series)
(ND) Dodge Dakota
2009 (HB) Dodge Durango
(HG) Chrysler Aspen
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 9.25 rear axle (sales code DRB) or a C235 rear axle (sales code DRN).
Subject
The rear axle pinion nut on about 278,000 of the above vehicles may loosen due to undersized pinion shaft splines. A loose pinion nut could cause the rear axle to seize or cause the driveshaft to separate resulting in a loss of motive power. Either situation could cause a crash without warning.
Models IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
Repair
The rear axle pinion nut must be inspected. Rear axles found with a loose pinion nut and/or a seized up rear axle assembly must be reconditioned. Rear axles with a 6-point pinion nut that has not loosened will have a pinion nut retainer installed. All rear axles with a 12-point pinion nut require no additional repairs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Truckie707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully they fix it heard a bunch of people being told "that's just how they are " from the dealers lol that won't fly here

OP
OP
T

Truckie707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright at the 3 week mark at the dealer they said vibration is 80 percent gone they can't get it better then what it's at and the rest is how the truck is. Total bs drove a few of my friends rams and none have vibration like this go to dealer drive my truck bring it right back Tuesday will be 4 weeks guess they can't figure it out

freefallin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck! I got out of a Sierra due to that BS. Seems like big 3 are plagued with this problem. Last month, I test drove four '16 F-150's when I was looking to trade in the 2500. All of them vibrated terribly above 65 mph. Salesman said that was normal for unloaded truck. I offered to give him a ride in the 2500, but he declined. Went right back to Ram, but not before I gave the 1500 a ~20 mile test drive at various highway speeds.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the last generation of F150 had pinion angle/axle wrap issues with certain configurations.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got rid of my 2010 F150 because they could never get the pinion angle right. Under heavy load or acceleration, you could always feel "the shake". Make them get it right or unload it for a different truck--it'll drive you nuts.

Nanuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the point I'm at .... Unloading it Wifie won't have it , it's a couple payments from being paid and says it doesn't bother her enough to get back into a truck mortgage !!!!!
It's been killing me since May , I feel terrible for guys that have 2014s that have issues . What I can't understand is why after 73k miles did the problem just occur ???? I never had issues with my truck doing 90 always was straight and tight . I know front end has milage on it now but funny how it didn't gradually build up . It just was there after a trip .
Thanks to all the guys that post and try to help other owners !!!! TBC

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I think there's another threat on this topic going on as we speak but i picked my 2014 Ram 1500 up 2 days ago. I picked it up with 20k miles. Truck rides as smooth as could be but once we hit high 80s this bad boy vibrates. I feel it in the seat mostly... I am going to assume that its a tire out of balance and not this issue.

Nanuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I think there's another threat on this topic going on as we speak but i picked my 2014 Ram 1500 up 2 days ago. I picked it up with 20k miles. Truck rides as smooth as could be but once we hit high 80s this bad boy vibrates. I feel it in the seat mostly... I am going to assume that its a tire out of balance and not this issue.

I wish you luck brother !!!! Don't wish this on my worst enemy . I got 2 nd set of tires multiple repairs and still got aproblem . Hopefully you fair better then Most !!!

OP
OP
T

Truckie707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's been back at shop for 3 days now still no progress Chrysler called me today they might send a corporate technician there to check it out

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
..........What I can't understand is why after 73k miles did the problem just occur ???? I never had issues with my truck doing 90 always was straight and tight . I know front end has milage on it now but funny how it didn't gradually build up . It just was there after a trip .
Thanks to all the guys that post and try to help other owners !!!! TBC

Does your truck have a split driveshaft?? If it does, I would get under and shake the u-joint coupling at the joint to see how much play there is in the mount. My Dakota developed the dreaded vibration and dealer wouldn't/couldn't fix it. I checked the free play against a new truck and it was substantial. Replaced the "doughnut" and problem went away.

Nanuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's been back at shop for 3 days now still no progress Chrysler called me today they might send a corporate technician there to check it out

At least you have a dealership that admits there a problem ... I can't that at all , Star case officer couldn't get in touch with the dealership for days and when they did they were told the problem was solved , Not the Case

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio