Rebel Conversion vs Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to decide which of the two are better options.

1. Converting my 2014 1500 into the ultimate Ram Rebel
2. Getting myself a 2500 and turning that into the ultimate Power Wagon

I will be using the truck on the highway mostly with occasional weekend sand dunes and desert driving.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Buy a 3500 and convert it to the ultimate power wagon. More payload and towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
go big or go home, i vote Power Wagon but i own one so i am bias.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram Trx Rebel-
Or a 2500 Cumin’s with a unchained Carli Kit-

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I'd had a choice, I'd go with a 3500.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you have any kind of budget? Converting your 1500 to a Rebel wouldn't take much since the main differences are cosmetic. Speaking as a Rebel owner, I can tell you that they are more than capable for the uses you listed. Converting a 2500 or 3500 to a Power Wagon on the other hand would cost a lot more. Not to mention the fact that you'd have to buy the truck first. Since you already have a 1500 you're almost there..

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1500 to Rebel mods

Of course the Rebel TRX Concept is the ultimate Rebel. But my idea is different.

My current 2014 1500 SLT has coil suspension instead of the air suspension.
I was looking at a lot of reviews with comparisons to the Tundra TRD Pro.
The review mentioned that the Tundra used Bilstein shocks as well. But on the off roading the Tundra's coil-overs had better articulation and better handling. So with that my proposal is
  1. Rebel Bumper and other external visual mods including wheels and tires.
  2. Change standard SLT suspension for Bilstein coil-overs. The same ones that are on the Tundra.
  3. Put a locking rear diff
  4. Rebel TRX style side exhaust with integrated side steps
  5. Warn winch integrated into the Reber bumper in the same way that is on the Power wagon.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have any kind of budget? Converting your 1500 to a Rebel wouldn't take much since the main differences are cosmetic. Speaking as a Rebel owner, I can tell you that they are more than capable for the uses you listed. Converting a 2500 or 3500 to a Power Wagon on the other hand would cost a lot more. Not to mention the fact that you'd have to buy the truck first. Since you already have a 1500 you're almost there..

The mods will be done not all at once. I guess you could say that I plan on keeping the truck till the day I die. It is sort of building my ultimate "all occasion" vehicle.
I do need to be truthful that the vehicle will be on the street for most of the time. So it does need to keep up with SUVs doing 140 kph on the highway.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy a Hell Cat drop out engine and drop it in the 1500, have the ultimate sleeper. the 6.4 will fit perfectly in the 1500 even with the blower on top.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
So your looking for a mall crawler? How about a trailer with a side by side or atv

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So your looking for a mall crawler? How about a trailer with a side by side or atv

Not exactly.. I live in Dubai. But we do have areas not to for from where I live where you can go dune bashing. Drive a couple of hours and you are in the mountains with trails similar to the Nevada desert.
So I am looking to build the vehicle that can take on anything. Something that is equally as usable in the city and on streets as well as a capable off-roader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0khNHWBaWw&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-laMH9ErFEI

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Will you ever tow a trailer? Anything with substantial weight? Or will you just be using it as a daily driver and maybe a light trailer?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not exactly.. I live in Dubai...

I used to live in Qatar. I'm not sure people here understand the markup for American vehicles overseas. My suggestion is to stick with what you have, and put money into it to make it more trail ready.

It will be a HUGE savings...

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will you ever tow a trailer? Anything with substantial weight? Or will you just be using it as a daily driver and maybe a light trailer?

I don't have trailer. Can't say about the future though. I might have a trailer one day with a couple of quads or jet-skies.
Basically the plan is to build the truck that will stick with me till the day I die.

I used to live in Qatar. I'm not sure people here understand the markup for American vehicles overseas. My suggestion is to stick with what you have, and put money into it to make it more trail ready.

It will be a HUGE savings...

As much as I will enjoy having the ultimate Rebel, I have to admit that for sheer size, presence, etc., the Power Wagon is probably my dream truck.
But the practical side of me will say that the Rebel conversion is a better choice. Size does also factor in certain trails.
For instance, I've seen videos where even the standard 1500s are too big and you need a smaller truck like the Toyota Tacomas and new Chevy Colorados.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
im probably going to catch **** for this but it sounds like what your looking for is a ford raptor.

if the power wagon is your dream truck, are you going to be satisfied with a built 1500 or are you just going to wonder "what if" you bought the power wagon instead? thats the question i would ask myself. for what your looking to do the 1500 and power wagon both have their advantages and disadvantages so its going to come down to which do you really want.