Reliability on 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goolppo09082

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Hey guys, I was looking at either a 09, 08, 07 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I know that 09 was the refresh and was wondering is there a reliability differance between the 3rd and 4th gen? I was looking at a pretty high milage truck as well so was wondering if they held up good at almost or over 200k miles.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, I was looking at either a 09, 08, 07 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I know that 09 was the refresh and was wondering is there a reliability differance between the 3rd and 4th gen? I was looking at a pretty high milage truck as well so was wondering if they held up good at almost or over 200k miles.

Of course, and yes there were numerous changes to the Hemi, I don't know the exact year but it gained about 50hp at some point, I'd say between 2009 and 2014 , someone else will come behind and update the exact year.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i believe 2009, the first year of the 4th gen was the HP increase.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
op, imo, any time you buy a high mileage vehicle, its a crap shoot. i believe the hemi is one of the better engines out there and are quite reliable.

Last edited:

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO

nope don't buy one with that many miles. They are reliable but I would never trust a used vehicle with that many miles. If I put the miles on it myself, then that would be a different story but not someone else.

No idea how it was maintained.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

The things you have to think about with that many miles is differentials, front end parts and then even timing chain could be getting sloppy by that mileage. I have 137k and wouldn't hesitate to buy mine now and likely at 200k either but I have maintained it and fixed anything broken never allowing things to stack up. If you don't know the seller that could be a bad purchase. It would also depend ok type of miles. Highway miles are very easy on the truck.
Lastly the 09 was the first year of 1500 4th gen. The engine gained power by tuning and VVT which prior gen didn't have. It was rated at 390 hp in the Ram and less in the cars and suvs.
Many people here have really liked their 3rd gen but the 4th gen definitely gained refinement with ride and interior. I have been very happy with my 09 despite it being the dreaded first model year. If you buy make sure the pinion nut recall has been done and checked. Change the differential oil and inspect. Probably swap transfer case oil and tranny fluid and filter too.