Remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

COPGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is there any problems with using the remote start function on a 2011 Cummins in the cold? I understand when I manually start my truck I need to wait until the block heater warms up, but will the remote function wait until the block is warmed before starting? I'm extremely new to the diesel world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcems52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It will wait until the grid heater is finished pre-heating. I have it installed on my truck. As long as it's the oem kit.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If its an aftermarket kit you usually have to program it for a diesel but they will wait depending on how long its programmed for.

OP
OP
COPGUY

COPGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just got my owners guide from dealer, factory installed and has delay for diesel. Thanks for the help guys!

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It works great. The first time I was wondering what was taking so long... LOL!!

LETHAL GTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there any problems with using the remote start function on a 2011 Cummins in the cold? I understand when I manually start my truck I need to wait until the block heater warms up, but will the remote function wait until the block is warmed before starting? I'm extremely new to the diesel world.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but You have mentioned you are new to the diesel world.
The block heater heats your coolant in your engine. Helping the oil get to the critical components faster.
The grid heater will heat the air going into your engine to help assist in firing the engine up while starting.
Diesel engines require higher compression because they rely on the heat the higher compression makes to fire the fuel. Gas engines use spark.
That's why they have a grid heater. You will also notice the colder it is the longer your grid heater will stay on.

nwram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On remote starts...how expensive would it be too add it to my 2011 Big Horn Hemi?

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
On remote starts...how expensive would it be too add it to my 2011 Big Horn Hemi?

This would completly depend on the feature you wanted on your remote start. Price varied depending on the features you have ont he system you run, some standard feature include but not limited to are, one or two way remote, distance required from the FOB, alarm system included or not, manual/auto transmission, extras available are things like wiper activation, windows up/down, lock/unlock. And most importantly towards cost is name brand. Dodge is one of the worst vehicles to install aftermarket remote starters in if you want the lock/unlock system or have a factory installed alarm system. you'll have diodes and resistors to install in the system to make it work.

To try and answer your question without know the answers to those question is simply a guess, so an average system with basic feature can cost you, between $150 - $300 and that amount again to have it installed. If you have never installed a remote start before it can be done but alot can go wrong in a hurry if done improperly. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
COPGUY

COPGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not trying to be a smart ass, but You have mentioned you are new to the diesel world.
The block heater heats your coolant in your engine. Helping the oil get to the critical components faster.
The grid heater will heat the air going into your engine to help assist in firing the engine up while starting.
Diesel engines require higher compression because they rely on the heat the higher compression makes to fire the fuel. Gas engines use spark.
That's why they have a grid heater. You will also notice the colder it is the longer your grid heater will stay on.

Your not being a smart ass, I am new to diesel world and I'm looking forward to learning my truck, not just drive it. I look forward to the help in understanding my truck.

nwram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This would completly depend on the feature you wanted on your remote start. Price varied depending on the features you have ont he system you run, some standard feature include but not limited to are, one or two way remote, distance required from the FOB, alarm system included or not, manual/auto transmission, extras available are things like wiper activation, windows up/down, lock/unlock. And most importantly towards cost is name brand. Dodge is one of the worst vehicles to install aftermarket remote starters in if you want the lock/unlock system or have a factory installed alarm system. you'll have diodes and resistors to install in the system to make it work.

To try and answer your question without know the answers to those question is simply a guess, so an average system with basic feature can cost you, between $150 - $300 and that amount again to have it installed. If you have never installed a remote start before it can be done but alot can go wrong in a hurry if done improperly. Hope this helps.
I don't think I need any extras like wipers,& the ecurity system,I think,is just the panic button on my remote.The only other thing on my keyfob,is unlock/lock. I do have the automatic on the console. So,if I understand correctly,I should just take it to the dealer & install Mopar?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I don't think I need any extras like wipers,& the ecurity system,I think,is just the panic button on my remote.The only other thing on my keyfob,is unlock/lock. I do have the automatic on the console. So,if I understand correctly,I should just take it to the dealer & install Mopar?

You can get the dealer to install for you but there are other less expensive choices. Best Buy around here will run specials for like $250 installed. You have to carry a second fob for the remote start but it is way cheaper than the dealer.

tap tap tappa-roo

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Look into the method in this post
http://www.ramforum.com/f75/4th_gen_remote_start_under_$100-25382/index28.html

i used to have this method on my '11 durango. the only downfall i the short range that the factory remote works. I paired it with a smart start module so for long range i used my smart phone app to start my durango (the smart start app is similar to the u-connect app on the '13 or newer trucks).

nwram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get the dealer to install for you but there are other less expensive choices. Best Buy around here will run specials for like $250 installed. You have to carry a second fob for the remote start but it is way cheaper than the dealer.

tap tap tappa-roo
I could live with that.is the range decent?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Range depends on what unit they have with the special. I am sure that they are decent though.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I could live with that.is the range decent?

The link that baum posted is for an aftermarket remote start that uses your existing keyless entry remote fob, so the range will be the same as your keyless entry.
That remote start system is well under $100 and takes about 10 minutes to install yourself. No hard wiring for the basic system and no installation by a retailer, as long as you have a 2009-2012.
The 2013+ still has to be hard-wired, for now.

Edit: Looks like they released the harness for 2013's this week.

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The link that baum posted is for an aftermarket remote start that uses your existing keyless entry remote fob, so the range will be the same as your keyless entry.
That remote start system is well under $100 and takes about 10 minutes to install yourself. No hard wiring for the basic system and no installation by a retailer, as long as you have a 2009-2012.
The 2013+ still has to be hard-wired, for now.

i believe '13 have a t-harness now also.

yes it is using the factory remote, but if you get the smart start module then you can start your truck from anywhere

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i believe '13 have a t-harness now also.

yes it is using the factory remote, but if you get the smart start module then you can start your truck from anywhere

Looks like you're right. They've got it advertised front & center on their site now. Must have just released it this week.