Replace Rack and Pinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cz17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I need to change my rack and pinion on my 2009 dodge ram 1500. I have found descriptions and forums on the 'how to' for 3rd gen ram 1500 trucks but I was wondering if it pretty much the same deal for the 4th gen. Better yet if someone could go through how to for 4th gen that would be great. Plan on doing it this weekend.

Thanks.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I replaced the one on my 10 it's pretty straight forward. Are you keeping your outter tie rods or replacing also? Basically you disconnect the power steering lines disconnect the steering shaft in bolt it from the frame and pop off the tie rods at you spindle. Once the old unit is out make sure you get the lengths of the tie rods as close as you can to make the truck driveable to the alignment shop. If you don't have a Chilton manual get one well worth the money if you plan on doing some of your own work. It gives you all the processes and all torque specs. One thing I will tell you is do not use Power steering fluid these trucks take ATF4 in the power steering and I almost trashed my pump with power steering fluid. After you have replaced the rack make sure to leave it on stands when you start it up so there is no drag on the wheels (that is what saved my pump) and look up the process for getting the air out of the system, it was like turn the wheel so far then back ECT don't just go to full lock to full lock. Sorry for the jumbled post I was in a hurry writing it hopefully it helps.

OP
OP
C

Cz17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes I plan to replace my outter tie rods too. I should have mentioned that. Thanks for the reply.

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
Sorry to revive a old thread, but I have to replace my Rods but I can only find Inner Rods but not outer? (Dont need Tie Rod Ends, but the rods itself on both sides)

Are both Rods from the Pinion the same length and just need to cut whatever threads to get them proper?

Here is rockauto only showing Inner Rods
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ram,2017,1500,5.7l+v8,3435444,steering