Rolling stone is driving me crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A month or so a go I noticed the sound of something rolling around under my truck. It was pretty obvious that on braking it rolled forward, on acceleration it went back. Always on drivers side. I got under the truck to try and source the issue, initially thinking it was a rock in the frame. After some digging around I believe I actually found it inside the body under the doors. 1 in a billion chance of kicking a rock into the tiny holes on the inner side of body. I would have much rather won the lottery...

Anyone have some recommendation for getting it out? I could probably use a borescope isolate it's location, but don't know how I would be able to get it out after I found it. I've considered pushing it all the way to the front or back and then using a bit of expanding foam to try and seal it in place. My only concern going that route is water drainage out of the panel. I don't want to trap moisture and create a rust issue. Thoughts?

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
can you post some pics of where it is exactly? and maybe what holes are in the area

Luke

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if you can find it with a boroscope, then put some chewing gum or tape on the end of the boroscope and get it that way (but don't block the seeing part of it)

OP
OP
Apiazza

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll get some photos for you tonight.

The tape/gum on a stick might work, but will definitely take some finesse to get in those angles.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
if you can find it with a boroscope, then put some chewing gum or tape on the end of the boroscope and get it that way (but don't block the seeing part of it)

:lol:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just the opposite here...since I quit smoking, the windows are always up & the A/C on.

Radio, maybe maybe not.

OP
OP
Apiazza

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
64684319-9647-43BB-8449-32BCCC95083C_zpsr0nckhc7.jpg

So this is looking at the body as is runs below the doors. That tape appears to have pulled off some and I'm guessing that's where it entered. It just rolls back and fourth. The odds seem so low I wonder if someone is screwing with me.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
64684319-9647-43BB-8449-32BCCC95083C_zpsr0nckhc7.jpg

So this is looking at the body as is runs below the doors. That tape appears to have pulled off some and I'm guessing that's where it entered. It just rolls back and fourth. The odds seem so low I wonder if someone is screwing with me.
The tape was peeling off of all the holes on mine I pulled it all off. They need those access holes for the rust prevention spray when I do the underbody anyways.

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe a flexible hose connected to your shop vac?

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check inside the floor storage bins behind your seat....I once had the same issue, and someone had put something in the floor storage that was bumping back and forth. Drove me nuts until I found it! Maybe??

OP
OP
Apiazza

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Vacuum could work if I can get it in there. I'm going to spend some time this weekend screwing around after I replace the windshield washing fluid pump in my fiancé's Santa Fe

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I looked under there at mine again. So there should be 3 big drain holes on the pinch weld. Unless the rock is to big i would just run a garden hose and flush it right out.

OP
OP
Apiazza

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked under there at mine again. So there should be 3 big drain holes on the pinch weld. Unless the rock is to big i would just run a garden hose and flush it right out.

I'm going to assume it's too big because with all the movement it does I would guess it would have fallen out by now. I'll probably try some air in there as well.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm going to assume it's too big because with all the movement it does I would guess it would have fallen out by now. I'll probably try some air in there as well.

If the water can wash it over the hole so you can see it, reach up there with a pair of plyers and crush the FU$&er. Or rip it out.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Bend an "L" shaped piece of metal wide enough to fit in the hole. Wrap Gorilla tape around the 1/2 that fits in the hole, sticky side out. Tape the other half of the "L" to the door bottom. As the rock rolls around, it will hit the tape part and stick.

You can then deal with it.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone get one of these "rolling stones" behind the driver or in the bed area and figured out where it was ? I don't think its in the area under the door and it may be a nut that loosened and fell off. I can get it to roll on sudden acceleration or stopping but also hear it sometimes on sharp left and right turns.

I've owned pickups now for 40 years and at times something will roll around in the bed, but this bed has been swept clean. I thought perhaps one of the bolts holding the AMP power steps came loose, but this noise appears to be behind us. I have a regular cab, no under seat storage.

Last edited: