Rotary shifter stopping at R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm still getting use to this rotary shifter. One thing I've noticed a couple of times is that I casually flick the shifter and think I've thrown it in to "P", when it actually stops on "R". As I let off the brake... yikes, I'm still in reverse! It's just a lazy thing on my side I know, just something to watch for when you casually flick your dial.

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I park on inclines, I engage the parking brake in N and, after the truck settles on the brake, I put it in P. The first time I shut the truck off in N and the rotary control made that grinding noise, I thought I was screwed. Now, I am pretty deliberate about the whole process so it doesn't happen again. I am still getting used to the knob- once in a while, I will still reach for a column shifter...

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
This is why I'll never buy a vehicle with this style of shifter. Cable actuated all the way, I wish my throttle body was cable driven instead electronic.

Last edited:

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
One day you will have no choice if you want a new car.

Exactly and the last member that told me that got the same response I'll give you.........

I won't buy any newer than I have now........ if/when this truck totally dies I'll be going the other way in year models and simply put - things will get a lot easier to work on. Most people don't realize the new tech is great and can be even better when used correctly, but it's being utilized for all the wrong reasons.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is why I'll never buy a vehicle with this style of shifter. Cable actuated all the way, I wish my throttle body was cable driven instead electronic.

Well you won't be buying many new vehicles. Old school stuff is on its way out. The dial shifter is not that really that hard to get used to. Most problems with the dial shifter are user error.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Well you won't be buying many new vehicles. Old school stuff is on its way out. The dial shifter is not that really that hard to get used to. Most problems with the dial shifter are user error.

Your not getting the innuendo and old school will be around for a long, long time. With that being said, every single part with these new vehicles is 100% controlled by a PCM. My truck now has to much controlled by a computer, but I still have the authority over it, if something glitches somewhere in the maze of electronics the PCM says NOPE and your shut down.

My reasoning behind the shift cable/knob issue is that that gear selection knob is no doubt 5 bills or better and you'll have to wait on the dealer to get one, so no telling how many days you'll be down for that. If your shift cable just happens to break (which I've only seen like twice), you go to the parts house up the street and grab you a new one, go back and spend about an hour or so to install and your back on the road that day.

This country is made up of sheep and feminized men... this forum is here for people to learn how to work on there own vehicle and converse with like minded folks. I'm amazed every day at how many people are so unselfsufficiant and have no idea how to do anything, but talk about some goofy ****'s throwing around a chunk of leather and who's getting drafted and fantasy league and all that. If you wanna strive in this world stop depending on someone else to be there to do it for you and teach yourself how to do it. Look at the 2nd gen guys, they have a plethora of threads on "How To" for pretty much everything. I truly believe that they choose to stay with a 2nd gen because they are self sufficient and know how repair their stuff - even on the side of the road if it came down to it, plus they are super simple to work on.

Just because everyone else is getting the new stuff to be in the "cool" crew doesn't mean you have to put the skinny jeans on and be a trendy also. I'll probably get tons of flack for this, but there will be others that understand. :Rant:

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have no idea wtf your saying. For your info I do all the work on my truck except warranty. My comment was pretty simple to understand. That's how there making things now and it's going to keep going that way. I buy a new truck every 5 years, so I know I'll have to get used to it. I don't buy one to be cool. I work out of mine and it does say something when you pull up in a nice truck to a customers house.

THE HEMI MAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your not getting the innuendo and old school will be around for a long, long time. With that being said, every single part with these new vehicles is 100% controlled by a PCM. My truck now has to much controlled by a computer, but I still have the authority over it, if something glitches somewhere in the maze of electronics the PCM says NOPE and your shut down.

My reasoning behind the shift cable/knob issue is that that gear selection knob is no doubt 5 bills or better and you'll have to wait on the dealer to get one, so no telling how many days you'll be down for that. If your shift cable just happens to break (which I've only seen like twice), you go to the parts house up the street and grab you a new one, go back and spend about an hour or so to install and your back on the road that day.

This country is made up of sheep and feminized men... this forum is here for people to learn how to work on there own vehicle and converse with like minded folks. I'm amazed every day at how many people are so unselfsufficiant and have no idea how to do anything, but talk about some goofy ****'s throwing around a chunk of leather and who's getting drafted and fantasy league and all that. If you wanna strive in this world stop depending on someone else to be there to do it for you and teach yourself how to do it. Look at the 2nd gen guys, they have a plethora of threads on "How To" for pretty much everything. I truly believe that they choose to stay with a 2nd gen because they are self sufficient and know how repair their stuff - even on the side of the road if it came down to it, plus they are super simple to work on.

Just because everyone else is getting the new stuff to be in the "cool" crew doesn't mean you have to put the skinny jeans on and be a trendy also. I'll probably get tons of flack for this, but there will be others that understand. :Rant:

I with you on the skinny jeans and stuff, but I like the rotary shifter.