Rough ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only has 34000km on it. Rough ride on roads that are in bad shape, really stiff, bumpy. That normal? Every time I hit a bad spot it feels like I'm not even absorbing any shock

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi roadshow,
If it is cold and you have snow build up on the suspension they can be stiff.

preachp

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi roadshow,
If it is cold and you have snow build up on the suspension they can be stiff.

preachp
The buildup was the first thing I thought of but it's pretty minimal. It is about -25 out today though, coldest day we had all year, so maybe that's why I seem to notice it so much today

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
always rough in winter, everything gets hard and stiffens up. the tires don't absorb the bumps or vibrations as much. the suspension fluid gets thicker and ice and snow gets packed in everywhere

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The stock shocks and tires are terrible...it's prob a combo of the two

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The stock shocks and tires are terrible...it's prob a combo of the two
I've heard that from a few places, they're both on my to-do list for this truck this fall since I'm going to be putting winters on it anyway for next season.

Just an update from yesterday, I had the truck out again today. Did some town driving for about half an hour running some errands and then got on the highway. The vibration at 100km/hour and the rough bangs on the road after I got off the highway seemed to have resolved themselves. Guess the extreme cold yesterday seems to have been the culprit. Hopefully the new tires and shocks for next winter will do the trick

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any snow(or dirt) in your rims will also throw off the balance and cause vibrations and if there's enough of it you'll have a very rough ride. The roads also tend to crack up in winter and get bumpy. Really everything just combines to make winter driving ******

I find gravel roads are far smoother then pavement during winter. I live in the sticks so tend to stay on them as much as I can

htwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I find the ride a bit rough, but I've only ever owned my Ram since mid December so I haven't had a chance to dry it in above freezing temps. It's still a lot smoother than my 2000 Durango R/T (which needed front end work).

My OEM tires are in their last year, and I find that most tires lose their elasticity after 4-5 years regardless how much tread is remaining. Once I swap on some new rubber I'm sure it'll make a significant difference. When the warmer weather arrives, the truck will be seeing lots of tow/haul work so that should smooth out the ride.