Sad day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this just happened to my '15 RCSB:(..
IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

taking off from a stop sign I got a loud thud from the rear and the rear started bouncing for a bit.. I took off a bit hard and at first thought it was wheel hop but never had wheel hop that sounded or felt like that.
since i was close to work I limped along till I reached, truck drove a bit wobbly but had no sounds till i tried to park that's when it really hurt :bawl:
[yt]OOCQdQpbHD0[/yt]

The first pictures are after the dealer opened up the diff cover and saw the gears all mangled and broken... right now it looks like only the gears and LSD are gone, and they will be doing it under warranty.... But since the part is coming from the states its gonna be a while before I can get the truck back.

Sad day but hey atleast it didn't happen on the highway or at speed. Andjust for reference the truck is a 2015 RCSB rwd with the 3.92 and LSD.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Holy ****. Glad that didn't happen at speed. Still a bummer though.
Did you get a loaner?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
At least it will be fixed under warranty.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
ouch bro.... glad your ok

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
That stinks, glad it was at low speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Wow, that just sucks. How many miles on her?

If this type of failure would have happened at highway speeds, what would happen other than loss of power or could the entire housing have blown apart sending shrapnel?

This doesn't seem to be a common failure, did you just get unlucky with bad casting that had a weak spot in the gear?

Wow, good luck. Hey, you mentioned having to wait for a part from the states, where are you?

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow.......lucky didn't happen at speed.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This happened to my titan a few year back. Pin was broken in three pieces.
724a5df1a5f5fe8d665ff0af2e7ceaa8.jpg
fba4c671757f3e9384971a5817171011.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all, definitely happy it wasn't any worse. FCA is taking their sweet time in responding to the warranty claim but that's expected and should be a matter of time only. Parts have been ordered anyway just to avoid further delays.
Wow, that just sucks. How many miles on her?

If this type of failure would have happened at highway speeds, what would happen other than loss of power or could the entire housing have blown apart sending shrapnel?

This doesn't seem to be a common failure, did you just get unlucky with bad casting that had a weak spot in the gear?

Wow, good luck. Hey, you mentioned having to wait for a part from the states, where are you?

about 20K miles on the truck, i think it was just a defective part and it was my luck to get it.
I wouldn't expect catastrophic failure if the part went at speed, the diff is a pretty hefty chunk of metal, its the wheels binding that may cause you to loose control.

I live in the middle-east in a small country called Bahrain... the problem is it appears that i'm the only one in all the region that ordered the LSD with the truck, so although just about every other part needed is available on hand the LSD has to be special ordered. I'd moan and groan but the LSD to me is worth having.

G-Ride990 said:
Did you get a loaner?
Fortunately I have my '12 to use so I didn't ask for a loaner.

Last edited:

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Back in 1988 a jet I was on lost an engine and we stopped in Bahrain, the airline put us up in a beautiful hotel for a few days. Small world.

Good luck with the fix.

Last edited: