Sad day, first time towed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Ben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had it happen 3 times. . First time I had a dealer install a factory rebuilt. 7 years latter it flopped again (pissed me off). Always at the wrong time. That time I had it towed to a mom and pop shop down the road from the break down. They also did extra work elsewhere on the truck that wasn't authorized. When I went to pick it up, surprise! When I took it in, that item in question wasn't faulty. In fact I had just replaced it 2 months prior. They should have called me to come in and proved it to be faulty. I didn't expect that and didn't have the extra cash on me. I didn't want to pay an extra $350 for something "they said" was faulty but didn't prove it or show me the old part. They let me have truck under the assumption that I'd be back to pay the difference. I didn't because I was was left to assume they'd actually replaced the item. I don't trust mechanics when they pull this stuff. I've heard to many stories. Nuff said.

Then it popped again in 3 years. What a bunch of...... Well I had it taken to a local garage known to have experience in truck mods, engine installs and tyranny rebuilds. Oh sure you pay more with these guys. Worth the risk. What did I have to lose? After they dropped and gutted the tyranny they called me in to show me the problems and what needed to be done. In short the last guys used substandard parts. Worse than factory. They wanted to replace everything with heavy duty parts. Price wise the parts added an extra $350. So far they've impressed me with their business ethics and they were the most professional and knowledgeable people I've ever met. That was 165k miles ago.

I did get to ask em which manufacturers installed the better trannys. I was surprised to learn that none are better than others. They see them all and send em back better than OEM.

Word to the wise.
When you have yer tyranny rebuilt (never install a new factory) do yer homework and hire a reputable shop! Not so much an easy task.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had it done at the dealer, under warranty. This rebuild should also be under warranty.
Once out of warranty it will be done by myself or some really good friends in the business that have a beyond good reputation with transmissions

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've watched rebuilds on YouTube for the 545rfe.

I'm seriously contemplating ordering seals, clutches, filters and plungers and doing it myself. Learn it once and you're good to go next time it grenades.

It tears apart in like 30 mins once out of the truck. Doesn't look hard for anyone that can turn a wrench.

Edit: plus buy a new or get yours machined, bucket and add one or two fictions. Or thicker steels. Dunno how much that would help hold.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That sucks I don't race really but I tow and I have 137k been happy. Maybe the 4.56 gears help I don't know.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
maybe buy a lottery tic just saying. Good luck mate.
The GF and i have been saying this but we never do, i have little to no good luck.... all my luck was bundled up in my little 14 month old girl that is so well behaved and easy to raise so far. But i wouldnt trade that for good winning lotto ticket at all

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The GF and i have been saying this but we never do, i have little to no good luck.... all my luck was bundled up in my little 14 month old girl that is so well behaved and easy to raise so far. But i wouldnt trade that for good winning lotto ticket at all

Things eventually turn for the better. *Agreed on the kiddo getting all the luck, but girls ARE easier. My son, he's a handful, nothing like his sister was.

Go get a lotto ticket. Use a combination of numbers from the truck's VIN. :D

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might have to do that, even with all the headache i have had with this thing, I've still been pretty lucky and not out of pocket for new cam&lifters, top half off and freshened up, new rear diff, new trans.... but honestly all the issues ive had are kinda to be expected with a modified vehicle.
So i cant complain to much even though it is frustrating sometimes

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to read about your bad luck.....regarding the car I would be ballistic. Glad you have a good body shop lined up. Good news everyone ok.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to read about your bad luck.....regarding the car I would be ballistic. Glad you have a good body shop lined up. Good news everyone ok.
Im still debating if im going to swap out the front to a srt while its there.... its all out of pocket and we already talked about doing it but the car mod budget it a little tight with other projects at the moment...