*Update* Sad News

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gather all your receipts from the add ons and modifications to present to the insurance to quantify the value you've added to it. Wheels, tires, side steps, etc.

Glad you all are ok. Trucks can be replaced.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gather all your receipts from the add ons and modifications to present to the insurance to quantify the value you've added to it. Wheels, tires, side steps, etc.

Glad you all are ok. Trucks can be replaced.

Already put that down on a spreadsheet. Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problems, just went thru that exercise with State Farm wanting to total my son's truck when it wasn't his fault. Receipts netted an extra $1500 value on a 17 year old Dakota that was in great shape before his accident.

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No problems, just went thru that exercise with State Farm wanting to total my son's truck when it wasn't his fault. Receipts netted an extra $1500 value on a 17 year old Dakota that was in great shape before his accident.

Same thing here. I'm definitely not at fault. I'm just wondering if they will try to repair it instead...which I would not accept obviously. Did you include labor costs with that?

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had parts receipts, I provided the labor

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Man, I feel for ya. Just went through this in March with a guy running a light in NE PDX and taking the front off the truck, bending the frame in the process.

If that passenger side frame is bent anywhere along the length, they won't fix it. In Oregon it's not allowed to replace a frame or frame section as part of a covered collision repair.

Good luck and sorry for your troubles.

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, I feel for ya. Just went through this in March with a guy running a light in NE PDX and taking the front off the truck, bending the frame in the process.

If that passenger side frame is bent anywhere along the length, they won't fix it. In Oregon it's not allowed to replace a frame or frame section as part of a covered collision repair.

Good luck and sorry for your troubles.

Thanks... likewise, haha. Did you end up getting a new ram? I'm far from a mechanic. Would you be able to tell in these pics? Is that the frame or just the subframe? It's at a shop downtown where the people seem to be really good.

ad3b6ac1fd9f5a24fd9f5c8cc64f5cc2.png

d5dafac0bb7da2a2021e4434f5d79df9.png

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ouch glad you are okay.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As everyone has said...first off...glad you and your friends are ok!

Thats some serious damage. I too would hope they total it...thats alot to replace and get back in correct alignment.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That truck is done. The frame is jacked.

That long narrow metal square tube behind the wheel is the frame.

20170328_123057_zpscki1wlij.jpg

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks... likewise, haha. Did you end up getting a new ram? I'm far from a mechanic. Would you be able to tell in these pics? Is that the frame or just the subframe? It's at a shop downtown where the people seem to be really good.

ad3b6ac1fd9f5a24fd9f5c8cc64f5cc2.png

d5dafac0bb7da2a2021e4434f5d79df9.png

That truck is done. The frame is jacked.

That long narrow metal square tube behind the wheel is the frame.

20170328_123057_zpscki1wlij.jpg

Pretty sure the pictures above are showing the "fender closure", not the frame. The frame is behind the bumper.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
With that amt of damage, I can't believe the frame isn't tweaked.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also, if it's not totalled, I wouldn't let my insurance company tell me where to bring it, I would use a shop I knew would fix it correctly.

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off sorry about the truck. Second... congrats on getting married.

I used to be a body man. And have seen and repaired many trucks that look just like and worse than yours back to brand new condition. It's a bit unnerving seeing your truck like that but it's not as bad as you would think. Thankfully on trucks they are body on frame and most of that damage will unbolt. The part you circled is the core support. It's job is to give a mounting point to the front of the truck and the frame, and it holds the fenders, grille, and radiators. Easy part to replace. The impact wasn't straight on but a glancing side impact, which is why the bags didn't blow. Good for you but this type of impact can sometimes cause a frame condition called side sway. I can't tell from the pics if there is any side sway but it is the easiest form of frame damage to repair and doesn't compromise frame strength in 90% of cases or so.

Also your concern about parts being welded back to the truck shouldn't be an issue. Spot welds are replaced with either spot welds If the shop has the capability or plug welds which are more common. ICAR does testing regularly on repair methods and has found that plug welds hold up just as well as factory spot welds in future collision situations. And by using proper ICAR approved repair methods the vehicle will be in the same condition as it was before the accident.

Hopefully everything turns out in the end ok for you. Glad you and your buddies were not hurt.

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took a look a bit closer at pics from the first page. There is a slight amount of side sway, that's why the drivers side fender got tucked behind the door. It doesn't look too bad and usually can be pulled with one easy pull. I don't see any twisting which is good for the truck. But that all being said I can't see the frame rails right behind the passenger side of the bumper. That's where a severe bend would be located. By looking at the condition of the bumper tho it looks like it did it's designed job and the frame may be fine. Won't know until it gets disassembled for inspection.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Pretty sure the pictures above are showing the "fender closure", not the frame. The frame is behind the bumper.

The frame comes up over the front axle, then back down to behind the bumper.

I know it doesn't look like it but that long tube IS the frame. In my case, it doesn't look like it as it was bent almost 90 degrees to the side along the front of the truck.

Do ya see much of a inner bumper structure there at all? Nope, it was totally relocated to the driver's side.

Here is another shot. The frame is bent at 90 degrees to the left, and you can follow the line of the frame as it moves rearward, up and over the front axle.

Just FYI, the frame is hydroformed.

20170328_123121_zpslqiyfwcx.jpg

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I predict a future Ebay truck, "pristine Longhorn, better than new; salvage title".

SAVE THOUSANDS.........

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Towhook even popped out

16aa84abaae29a1257dc0eb989f8e96d.jpg

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off sorry about the truck. Second... congrats on getting married.

I used to be a body man. And have seen and repaired many trucks that look just like and worse than yours back to brand new condition. It's a bit unnerving seeing your truck like that but it's not as bad as you would think. Thankfully on trucks they are body on frame and most of that damage will unbolt. The part you circled is the core support. It's job is to give a mounting point to the front of the truck and the frame, and it holds the fenders, grille, and radiators. Easy part to replace. The impact wasn't straight on but a glancing side impact, which is why the bags didn't blow. Good for you but this type of impact can sometimes cause a frame condition called side sway. I can't tell from the pics if there is any side sway but it is the easiest form of frame damage to repair and doesn't compromise frame strength in 90% of cases or so.

Also your concern about parts being welded back to the truck shouldn't be an issue. Spot welds are replaced with either spot welds If the shop has the capability or plug welds which are more common. ICAR does testing regularly on repair methods and has found that plug welds hold up just as well as factory spot welds in future collision situations. And by using proper ICAR approved repair methods the vehicle will be in the same condition as it was before the accident.

Hopefully everything turns out in the end ok for you. Glad you and your buddies were not hurt.

Thanks. Another member in this thread told me that in Oregon it's pretty much enforced by law to total the truck if the frame is compromised. Here is my stand point and leverage on the insurance companies - it was a 2016 Longhorn with 6,500 miles on it, that would have a diminished value if repaired. Now if he wouldn't have made that turn, it wouldn't even have a scratch on it along with a clean history.

And yes, most of the impact was on the passenger side, but as you can see in the attached picture it's in the front too...look at the hood.

Time will tell, I guess. Thanks for you input!

c6cb42fa8bc53a2e2a4c621b4ab26143.jpg