*Update* Sad News

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The frame comes up over the front axle, then back down to behind the bumper.

I know it doesn't look like it but that long tube IS the frame. In my case, it doesn't look like it as it was bent almost 90 degrees to the side along the front of the truck.

Do ya see much of a inner bumper structure there at all? Nope, it was totally relocated to the driver's side.

Here is another shot. The frame is bent at 90 degrees to the left, and you can follow the line of the frame as it moves rearward, up and over the front axle.

Just FYI, the frame is hydroformed.

20170328_123121_zpslqiyfwcx.jpg

That part isn't the frame. It's part of the body and bends at that same location... just not as much as it is there. The frame is right below that part and the bumper is bolted to it. The part in the picture attaches to the cab at the firewall.

The tow hooks for some reason are designed to break off in frontal collisions but not when being pulled on. Prolly so they don't transfer collision energy into the frame before the bumper does it's job.

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, if it's not totalled, I wouldn't let my insurance company tell me where to bring it, I would use a shop I knew would fix it correctly.

First the insurance claims department told me to bring it to a place - turned out they don't even do collision repair. Called my insurance agent and he's a good guy, mentioned this other place and they seem great. Owner of the shop even asked for my preference - repair or total. Going to give the owner a call on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A buddy of mine runs an auto damage business close to you. Auto Damage Experts - out on the west side in Beaverton. His name is David Smith. It should pop up with a Google search.

He's been in auto body his whole life and really knows his way around the process. He does appraisals, diminished value assessments and stuff like that. He spends a lot of time in court on consumer's behalf fighting with insurance companies.

Give Dave a call if you have any questions or are getting ****** around by your insurer or just have questions. Also, steer far away from the guy you hear on the radio every 30 seconds. Check out his Google reviews if you have any doubt.

Dave just bought a Ram 1500 so he's very familiar with them. Feel free to tell him you chatted with his friend Matt online.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh boy! I am glad you are all okay. Sorry about your truck though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A buddy of mine runs an auto damage business close to you. Auto Damage Experts - out on the west side in Beaverton. His name is David Smith. It should pop up with a Google search.

He's been in auto body his whole life and really knows his way around the process. He does appraisals, diminished value assessments and stuff like that. He spends a lot of time in court on consumer's behalf fighting with insurance companies.

Give Dave a call if you have any questions or are getting ****** around by your insurer or just have questions. Also, steer far away from the guy you hear on the radio every 30 seconds. Check out his Google reviews if you have any doubt.

Dave just bought a Ram 1500 so he's very familiar with them. Feel free to tell him you chatted with his friend Matt online.

Thanks Matt, I appreciate that. The place it's at now has very good reviews and my agent had great experience dealing with them but if needed I will get a second opinion, without a doubt. Most likely I'll give Dave a call on Monday too anyways, and I'll tell him about you.

I'll fight this all the way if I have too, haha. Thanks again.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The frame comes up over the front axle, then back down to behind the bumper.

I know it doesn't look like it but that long tube IS the frame. In my case, it doesn't look like it as it was bent almost 90 degrees to the side along the front of the truck.

Do ya see much of a inner bumper structure there at all? Nope, it was totally relocated to the driver's side.

Here is another shot. The frame is bent at 90 degrees to the left, and you can follow the line of the frame as it moves rearward, up and over the front axle.

Just FYI, the frame is hydroformed.

20170328_123121_zpslqiyfwcx.jpg

I think the part you're referring to is the fender closure. #11 in the pics below. It's what the fender mounts to. It is a bolt on part and costs about 200 bucks. The frame sits much lower, and is more robust.

i2345861.jpg

hemi-on-frame.jpg

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe the fact that there was smoke coming out the AC will change things too. [emoji23]

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe the fact that there was smoke coming out the AC will change things too. [emoji23]

No not really. The condenser was damaged and vented the Freon in it. Also a normal part needed when a frontal collision occurs. If the wreck didn't pop it the tech would have to remove it anyway.

bigdave2212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Sry to hear that, glad every1 is ok, n even better to hear that he had ins! Good luck sir.......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jeffnc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram
Engine
I work rotation for the shp, and from what I've seen with my experience, it looks totalled to me. I know expert. But I do know what I see on a day to day basis19754d8166ce39fedc8e0f5db1560053.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Glad to see you're okay congratulations on the nuptials. Last but not nothing least hope they total it if that's what you want that is wonder how much for a buy back if you the engine and trans are good they could fetch a pretty penny and make someone else pretty happy

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I work rotation for the shp, and from what I've seen with my experience, it looks totalled to me. I know expert. But I do know what I see on a day to day basis19754d8166ce39fedc8e0f5db1560053.jpg

I don't think it has enough damage to be totaled unless the frame is bent. But we'll see!

Jeffnc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram
Engine
I've picked up cars with less visible damage, but the frame was tweaked, and they were totalled. Like i stated previously, I'm not an expert, just going on what I see. If it were me, I would hope it would be totalled. You are going to lose on your resale value. And you also never know what issues you'll have later on down the road. Goodluck with what ever they decide though.

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the frame isn't badly damaged then everything that is damaged is a bolt on part. No big deal in repairing those, you can't really see any of the repair in those cases.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clackamas towing, I see them all the time lol. Glad everyone Ok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's not totalled (and assuming you live by me from the clackamas towing truck,) then I can recommend the absolute best body shop anywhere and you can request my brother do the work. He is the best and I'm not just saying that because he's my brother lol he literally is the best, and there shop has a 100% LIFETIME warranty on 100% of work (no body else has that.) They just repainted a car free of charge because it started peeling..... the car was painted in 1990 [emoji23] but "lifetime warranty"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMG_20160927_100448_zps6scd6eeb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When my daughter did this end of last year I just told insurance company I wasn't looking for anything for the Durango (even though had collision on it) because it would have been next to nothing. I was happy to have them pay the $9,000 bill from the electric company to replace the power pole and power lines that came down when she sheared the pole. :)

Fyredude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks man. Sorry for your loss.
As for the airbags not deploying, the sensors are in the bumper and it looks like most of the impact was above the bumper.
Hope you get a new truck soon!
Congrats on the marriage!