service 4wd light on 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 2500,2012 3500 ram diesel
Engine
diesel
I bought a new 2012 dodge ram diesel
the service engine light came on at 130 miles dodge couldnt find anything
and it has came on at 300 miles and than off dodge said they couldnt do anything with it off and know it is just tuned on at 507 miles
I will take it in again next week
has anyone else had this problem and if so what was it
I am a little concerned about it coming on and being new

Thanks Thad

tommyguns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have not heard of that before but just a option, pick up a reader when the light goes off scan it get the code that way when you bring it in you can let them know what it is going off on. You don't need an expensive one I know you can get them for around 20 bucks and worse comes to worse sell it when you are done but they are always good to have around as a quick peak into what your cars telling you.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
I have 2500 6.7 less than 3 months old.

The day I picked up my new truck I did not even make it 4 mile from the dealer and my service engine soon light came on.

I turned around and went back to dealer,they put it on the computer and said I had bad O2 sensor.

I was told they had bad run of O2 sensors.

New sensor was installed.

At 1500 miles I was out of town on business and the service engine light came on.

I found dealer 3 miles from my hotel and took my truck in to them and they put it on the computer and said O2 problems.

They came back an hour later after doing some research on dealer network.

They said cummins just release an updated computer program for ECM and they reflashed the ecm and said it should be fixed.

That was 200 miles ago, so hopefully it fixed.

Regards
Don

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
My truck is also 4wd.

When they reflashed my ECM there were other updates done at the same time.

I do not recall all the updates that they said were done.

I know they had to go threw some procedure, so many starts ,stops,turn on 4wd,low and high.

It took about 3 hrs start to finish.

Regards
Don

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If I am not mistaken those types of codes should stay in the vehicles history for at least a couple re-starts (5?) even if the light doesn't turn back on. The next time it does turn on though stop by an O'Reilly Auto Parts Store. They loan tools (OBDII code readers included) for free (they charge a refundable deposit in case you break it), and if you just left your truck running, you could run inside, and get it, scan it, and then take the info with you when you go.

A few background questions that might, or might not help anyone come up with some guesses though...

Is your truck 4wd? jk jk

Do you have an electronic, or manual transfer case shifter?

MB1500SPRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar issue with my 2012 1500, the issue was in my key FOB and it was throwing my truck into anti theft mode. Try your other key fob, or have your current one re programmed

OP
OP
T

Thad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 2500,2012 3500 ram diesel
Engine
diesel
Thanks Guys
I Talked to the dealer service manager he said he hasn't seen this problem and he is going to contact dodge about the problem I will get a code reader though or stop by orielies if there is one
around I appreciate your help
also nothing is happening when the light goes on I dont know if the four wheel drive works when it is on either I was also going to see if it worked when the light came on

Thad

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Hey Thad,

you didn't happen to go to Blue Mountain State did you? I always thought you were a Ford guy...

LOL