Servicing the 8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was wondering if anyone had any imput on servicing the 8 speed. I have a 2013 pentastar with 8 speed. The service manual for 2013 has service for severe duty at 60k. And the 2014 manual recommends the six speed only at 60k, and I have heard they are fill for life, and the ZF site has a different mileage interval for severe service only.

And of course the dealership wants to change it every 3000 miles...(sarcasm)

Anyone know when and if this tranny's fluid should be changed...I know it's very expensive so I don't want to service it for nothing..

Thanks

OP
OP
J

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 13 manual says 60k, the 14 manual says 60 k on six speed, are they different . The thing is I don't trust the dealership with the info without documentation, and I have the lifetime power train that I want to be sure to service the components on time, but there is really no information that I can find that tells me what to do. I can see a cluster you know what in the future with these tranny's if nobody knows when and if they should be serviced

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the six speed because I wasn't comfortable with how the 8's will hold up yet under truck use. Could be fine, but I wasn't sure. I would follow whatever it says about it in your owner's manual.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
8 speed makes my truck. Why would you worry about the 8 speed holding up. You have 5 years and a 100k mile warranty. The only ones that don't like the 8 speed are the ones that have 6 speeds. For the most parts.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can afford to buy a new truck every year if I want to. I just don't like having a vehicle in for service. When I was buying this truck last year, the tranny wasn't proven yet as a truck tranny. It was in plenty of cars, but not towing and offroading. Lack of being able to check the fluid for burning, etc, scared me off for a couple model years. Once its out a few years and proven I can always trade this truck for it.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
8 speed makes my truck. Why would you worry about the 8 speed holding up. You have 5 years and a 100k mile warranty. The only ones that don't like the 8 speed are the ones that have 6 speeds. For the most parts.
I agree with Nycruiser. I too got the 6 speed because the 8 speed was new. Plus I didn't like the rotary shifter. Personally I like my 6 speed.

As far as the warranty goes, yes it would be covered but you have to consider the inconvenience of having the truck at the dealer for trans issues. It seems the 8 speeds have a good track record so far and thats great. However I doubt many, if any of them are up to 100k yet. Yes they do make the truck. They give you get both off the line power and fuel economy. But the fact that you have to have the dealer service them I really didn't like. I saw somewhere they have to take it out of the truck to change the fluid or service the unit. Sounds expensive to me.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^Exactly. Some folks have the 6-speed because they didn't want the 8-speed.

Maybe that's why it seems most people that don't like the 8-speeds are the ones with the 6-speeds. LOL

I bought a truck a few trim levels down from what I would have bought to get the the 6-speed, and have no regrets. My truck is solid and the tranny shifts great. After a long tow, I get to pull the tranny dipstick and see how its doing.

I remember when three speed trannies were a novelty. LMAO!

Last edited:

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good comments. So if you can afford to buy a new truck why would you worry about it being in the shop. Just buy a new one while it's in the shop and sell the other one after it's fixed. As far as the transmission fluid being burnt. Your already in trouble with transmission. LMAO

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I enjoy the 8 speed immensely other that the "unserviceable" part. Being a ZF kit- I am not terribly worried about durability but I guess time will tell. It was the only reason I was willing to give Ram a real honest look this time- and I am glad I did. I have always shied away from them before because of the reputation of self-destructing transmissions.

The ZF 8 speed is not a new innovation by any means. I am to understand that they have fewer moving parts than the current 5 and 6 speeds we are used to, but I am still trying to wrap my head around that. Hard to find a real breakdown of how that works. But, I am of the opinion if it is good enough for a Jaguar or the super charged Land Rover, it's good enough for a Ram.

We'll see how she holds up. I am pretty demanding on them and I have some pretty high expectations :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good comments. So if you can afford to buy a new truck why would you worry about it being in the shop. Just buy a new one while it's in the shop and sell the other one after it's fixed. As far as the transmission fluid being burnt. Your already in trouble with transmission. LMAO

Sounds funny, but I've done this before. If they tell me its gonna take too long to fix I've been known to trade it back to them while its in the shop and pick another vehicle.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is suppose to be a lifetime fill, but what is a lifetime, 500k, 100k end of warranty?

Since it is a truck and it will most likely be used for towing and hauling I might consider 100k, heavier use, around 50k. One EcoD member just did his at 40K and he does heavy mountain hauling on a daily basis. The six magnets were pretty well covered with fine metal shards and I am pretty sure the filter would have a decent amount also. So with that, if I had the 8 speed I would personally with my occasional light towing do mine around the 90k mark, I don't trust any fluid that says lifetime.

To change the filter the pan has to be replaced as it is built into it and they run $250 to $350 it seems. The fluid will probably be close to that and then paying for the service, probably looking around $700, pretty expensive.

It seems there are a few tricks to changing the fluid with this trans, not as easy as the old ones. Seems temperatures are critical for removing and replacing the fluid so not for your every day backyard mechanic.

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the idea that lifetime meant life of the tranny. LOL. Like ball joints and tie rod ends without zerk fittings. Lifetime. If it needs service, you get a new one. We should know what's up with them by the time the 16's are out and there are a lot of high mileage ones still towing….or not.

Crawler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have lifetime warranty on my truck. I don't care if they don't if they don't want to service it. :p

Sent when I should be working.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I wish transmissions were setup like engine oil from the factory with easy ability to drain and fill. That way those that like to push the limits can and I could do an easy change and be at ease. I added a drain plug to mine for easier drain and fills going forward of course the one I bought needed up leaking and I had to doctor it up with rtv until next drain and fill. Seems to me it should be easy to do maintenance but that won't sell vehicles as fast. The transmissions 5/6 or 8 seem to be very good don't hear a lot about issues on 4th gen trans no matter the one chosen. If it was my rig I would probably change at 50k especially if you tow. Lifetime seems really silly.

$miley

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are we supposed to change the fluid?

Not under "normal operating conditions" (whatever that is). Per the owner's manual:

Fluid And Filter Changes — Eight-Speed
Transmission
Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at
the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the
life of the vehicle.
Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However
change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes
contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is
disassembled for any reason.

I think its a dealer job if it needs it.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd love to see the definition of "normal operating conditions". I suspect they mean in the wind tunnel in a lab.

I tow occasionally , haul heavy ****, and drive in a climate that is like the surface of Jupiter. -40c to +35c, dusty, rough, potholes the size of an SUV and generally thought of as uninhabitable ;)

We'll see. I was given the same story. Never needs changing. I however plan on it at about 60000kms regardless of cost because I will promise it's cheaper than a replacement transmission.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First you'll have to find someone that knows how to do it. I think the filter is an integral part of the pan, so you need to buy a new pan. Not sure how they will get the fluid out of the converter, or if there is even a procedure for that. Probably some special machine they have to buy from ZF to do it.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
First you'll have to find someone that knows how to do it. I think the filter is an integral part of the pan, so you need to buy a new pan. Not sure how they will get the fluid out of the converter, or if there is even a procedure for that. Probably some special machine they have to buy from ZF to do it.
Brother in law. He's some sort of "master tech" at a dealership an hour down the road. I didn't ask him about the ugly details, but he's had a few of these out before, so he's pretty familiar with them- or so he says ;)