she kinda vibrates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel it in the gas pedal and my right foot against the hump more than anywhere else.

I feel it slightly in the steering wheel.
Different road surfaces effect it. only feel it above 35 mph
Annoying.
Seems to be coming from the right front.

I have new tires and an alignment
Brakes are good.
cant find anything loose, I already secured both inner tire wells.

Beginning of death wobble?

I've checked al f the above. and poked around underneath with the truck on my lift, cant locate anything loose.
I'm also gonna try setting the shift range vice using "D" to shut off the MDS and see if that's it.

Although I don't think its tune related as the powertrain is smooth and she rides good, I did just get an updated CMR tune so I will try that. Maybe run a canned tune for awhile.

wondering if someone has had this issue, perhaps its a known issue with a simple fix

Thanks guys.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did it happen prior to the new tires? If not maybe a tire slightly out of round or not balanced properly?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think its ben there since I bought the truck a year ago ( 45k miles)
Discover? RTX tires. bought last fall. (55k)

Did not notice any change with new tires/ alignment
Now have 60k.

CV joint?

Thanks for input

maybe Ill swap front tires and see if that changes anything?

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your steering components and ball joints. Something is worn. Also check the hub bearings

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks guys!

This am I used the button shifter and set the range at 1-8.
The vibration was still there although it seemed less.
I definatly feel it through the gas pedal.
Also sometimes a water bottle in the cup holder will vibrate/ shake.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check your steering components and ball joints. Something is worn. Also check the hub bearings

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Kind of what I was thinking too.
Since it seems to be coming more from the transmission hump, I'd lean more toward ball joints.

I guess the driveshaft could be out of balance too, but I would think that would be a rare occurrence on a newer vehicle.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
thanks guys!

This am I used the button shifter and set the range at 1-8.
The vibration was still there although it seemed less.
I definatly feel it through the gas pedal.
Also sometimes a water bottle in the cup holder will vibrate/ shake.

Are you positive it's related to your speed?
From re-reading your posts is almost sounds like it comes and goes, or gets worse or better regardless of your speed.
You also said it's definitely coming from the front, but you can feel it mostly on the right side of your gas pedal.

Any chance it's an out of balance fan?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd lean towards ball joint or tire being out of balance. I've had tires wear into being out of balance before - it can happen.

Separate note since it was mentioned. Don't jump all over me, I'm a jeep guy too and death wobble is a solid front axle thing that we and the 3/4-1 ton guys deal with, so can an IFS truck even get death wobble????

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drambuie: I was thinking the samething....so this morning I carefully monitored and its definatly cyclic, and it doesn't seem to be RPM related. It kinda feels like its a cell phone on vibrate going off in my shoe. at higher speeds 60+ the truck seems to be vibrating at well with the steering wheel as well.
my inspections have not revealed anything, and it was present before I put the new tires on, but barely perceptible, I thought it was road surface conditions.

SAABseanSCANIA: No reason to jump on you. I asked a question/ got an answer and I appreciate it. My friend has an F-250 and suggested it. another friend has a ram and suggested the same
Ill get the balanced checked, rotate the tires and see

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SAABseanSCANIA: No reason to jump on you. I asked a question/ got an answer and I appreciate it. My friend has an F-250 and suggested it. another friend has a ram and suggested the same
Ill get the balanced checked, rotate the tires and see

Oh no I wasn't saying it like that at all, I was actually asking the question. Death wobble is a solid front axle thing (typically) and I had never heard of a truck with independent front axles getting that type of condition before. Your buddy with the F-250 has a solid front axle, maybe the Ram guy has a 2500? Maybe that's why they thought of it.

I just didn't want people jumping on me for not knowing about death wobble in an IFS truck if it's a possibility.

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update:
I found some cupping on both front outer tires, more on the D/S than the P/S.
I took the truck to the shop that did the alignment when I put the new tires on. To clarify I had the tires put on at a different shop of the same company and they, for some reason could not get the alignment done that day , so later I had it done near my work.

They rebalanced and rotated all the tires. the balance was way off on all four. So far it seems a lot better but I'll give it couple days to see.

Its ben suggested that the struts may be getting worn...seems early at 60k, but it doe make sense in one respect: I have noticed a distinct "exaggeration" of the front end response / vibration when going over small bumps, lane splits and rumble strips.

All t

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Update:
I found some cupping on both front outer tires, more on the D/S than the P/S.
I took the truck to the shop that did the alignment when I put the new tires on. To clarify I had the tires put on at a different shop of the same company and they, for some reason could not get the alignment done that day , so later I had it done near my work.

They rebalanced and rotated all the tires. the balance was way off on all four. So far it seems a lot better but I'll give it couple days to see.

Good to know you're on the path to getting it figured out. Thanks for posting back to let us know.

Update:
Its ben suggested that the struts may be getting worn...seems early at 60k, but it doe make sense in one respect: I have noticed a distinct "exaggeration" of the front end response / vibration when going over small bumps, lane splits and rumble strips.

There are known quality issues with the factory struts on certain model years. Mine were replaced about 12,000kms (7,500 miles) because they were leaking.
I didn't notice any obvious driveability issues at the time. The dealer just noticed the problem during routine maintenance/inspection.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Oh no I wasn't saying it like that at all, I was actually asking the question. Death wobble is a solid front axle thing (typically) and I had never heard of a truck with independent front axles getting that type of condition before. Your buddy with the F-250 has a solid front axle, maybe the Ram guy has a 2500? Maybe that's why they thought of it.

I just didn't want people jumping on me for not knowing about death wobble in an IFS truck if it's a possibility.

true death wobble can only occur with a solid front axle.

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update:
Its a lot smoother but
I still feel a slight vibration and what I call an exaggeration of the road feel.
I don't see any oil leaking at any of the shocks.

I have also updated my CMR tune. No change in the vibration

Ill be ordering for bilstiens next week.

To early for a hub.......so I tell myslef