Should 8HP70 automatically downshift on downhills?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Question after reading the tow/haul thread elsewhere in this forum. During normal driving with no cruise engaged and tow/haul not engaged, should the 8HP70 be downshifting on its own any time I hit a downhill and let off the gas? My Dak with 4.7 and auto never did this, and it was a plus for mileage.

I'm going in next week for an oil change, last time (first change) they did several unrequested flashes with the change. I don't seem to be making the kind of mileage I did initially, and am going to specify NO flashes without prior discussion & consent.

Anyway, wondering if the downshifts at road speeds 35-55 are normal.
Thanks,
DG

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Yes, thats normal. My 2010 4.7 Dakota didn't do it much, if at all, either. My wife's Grand Cherokee does it as well (2014 with Hemi and 8HP70), just not quite as aggressively as the Ram. Its normal in a lot of the the newer vehicles.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
What gears do you have I wonder if that makes any difference on how they are programed.
Mine does not down shift unless its in tow haul.
3:21s here

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What gears do you have I wonder if that makes any difference on how they are programed.
Mine does not down shift unless its in tow haul.
3:21s here

Mine does and I have 3.21. Tap the brake when you start down a hill. My big horn 14 did also.

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I notice the downshifting and much more engine braking after a recent trip to the dealer for service so I am assuming that they flashed it while it was in. I think that the truck drives more like it had a manual tranny now. I don't mind it.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if i tap the brakes it will downshift to maintain speed without using brakes. A lot of newer vehicles have that engine brake downhill to save the brakes on the vehicle in the hills and mountains for when you need them.

OP
OP
R

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the feedback. I have 3.92 gearing with LSD. The downshifts are always smooth and not bothersome that way, I just miss being able to free-run downhills when driving in rolling hills country. Just something to get used to, I guess...
Best,
DG

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Went to town and paid attention to this and did not once feel or see the tach jump so I do not believe my truck down shifts with the tow haul off.
When tow haul is on you can feel it and watch the tach jump as it down shifts.

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '16 does it all the time. I have the Hemi with 3.21 gears

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the feedback. I have 3.92 gearing with LSD. The downshifts are always smooth and not bothersome that way, I just miss being able to free-run downhills when driving in rolling hills country. Just something to get used to, I guess...

Best,

DG

3.92s will exaggerate the engine breaking. I noticed as I kept adding miles it would do it a little less. I think it's worse while the trans is still learning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KiloHotel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Down hill assist. If you hit the breaks down hill it should downshift or hold the gear. Seems to be even more sensitive in tow/haul. My Silverado did the same thing.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 14 does this. Sounds good when you have a exhaust. I've been told it's normal of course by the dealership. It shifts normal otherwise.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question after reading the tow/haul thread elsewhere in this forum. During normal driving with no cruise engaged and tow/haul not engaged, should the 8HP70 be downshifting on its own any time I hit a downhill and let off the gas? My Dak with 4.7 and auto never did this, and it was a plus for mileage.

I'm going in next week for an oil change, last time (first change) they did several unrequested flashes with the change. I don't seem to be making the kind of mileage I did initially, and am going to specify NO flashes without prior discussion & consent.

Anyway, wondering if the downshifts at road speeds 35-55 are normal.
Thanks,
DG
delete: