Should I buy this 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HaydenHunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
Crew Cab, 6/1-4' box, EcoDiesel, 3:55, 31K miles
Big Horn
Luxury Group
Protection Group
Comfort Group
Trailer Tow / Mirror Group
Remote Start and Security Group
Rear Camera and Park Assist Group
Katzkin Leather Seats (nice!)
Anti-Spin Diff
Rear Window Defroster
UConnect 8.4
Upgraded Alpine Sound 9 Speakers with Sub
Tonneau cover
Spray-In Bedliner
Original sticker $52,690

Been looking at new Laramie Hemis but I can't shake the notion that I'd like an EcoDiesel. This Big Horn seems to be optioned to have nearly all the bells and whistles of a Laramie. One owner truck, serviced at dealership. Good condition other than a small dent in corner of rear bumper and a little wrinkle (hard to notice) in the rear fender.

Have negotiated down to $33,500. Buy or no buy? Opinions appreciated.

anthony2558

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems to be within range of 30K-35K. How long have you been negotiating? Hrs, days? I'd try to knock them down another thousand, that's just me tho. If your making payments, and it's really what you want, go for it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

HaydenHunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
Been talking for the last couple of months off and on. I retire in 3 months and will have to turn in the keys to the company truck. He hasn't gotten much interest until recently.

I will be paying cash for the truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have an almost similarly equiped Outdoorsman and love the truck. I regularly get 20-22mpg in the city 26-28mpg on the highway even with 3.92 gearing. Even towing the 3K fishing boat it still gets 20 mpg.
I'm sure a few nanny neigh-sayers(who have probably never owned one) will chime in and say they cost so much more in maintenance and upkeep, I call their BS. Oil changes(full synthetic) every 10K not much more than a full synthetic oil change for a Hemi. Fuel filter every 20K-30K. DEF usage is about 1500 mpg at a cost of about $2.50/gal. Spark plugs...what are those? The best BS is the you have to put in new injectors at 100K miles, I know of at least 25 EcoDs well that milestone and not one has replaced the injectors.
Diesels you either get them and love them or you just don't know.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I have an almost similarly equiped Outdoorsman and love the truck. I regularly get 20-22mpg in the city 26-28mpg on the highway even with 3.92 gearing. Even towing the 3K fishing boat it still gets 20 mpg.
I'm sure a few nanny neigh-sayers(who have probably never owned one) will chime in and say they cost so much more in maintenance and upkeep, I call their BS. Oil changes(full synthetic) every 10K not much more than a full synthetic oil change for a Hemi. Fuel filter every 20K-30K. DEF usage is about 1500 mpg at a cost of about $2.50/gal. Spark plugs...what are those? The best BS is the you have to put in new injectors at 100K miles, I know of at least 25 EcoDs well that milestone and not one has replaced the injectors.
Diesels you either get them and love them or you just don't know.

I have no problem with diesels... but this one has a V6 gasser tow rating. So if you do not plan on towing more than something small it seems like a good buy.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have no problem with diesels... but this one has a V6 gasser tow rating. So if you do not plan on towing more than something small it seems like a good buy.
You do know the official tow rating are about 1K less than the Hemi? and 1K+ over the V6 gasser? I've had 7K behind mine, handled that with ease.
If you put the same trailer load behind all three power-plants, the EcoD will put the gassers to shame fuel economy wise and have no issues towing the load.
The EcoD wasn't intended to be a brute force towing rig like the CTD. Very very few people tow/haul anything with 1500 that the EcoD can't, all while doing it much more efficiently, that can't be said about the V6 gasser.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I second everything that Crash68 has said. I do a fair bit of towing, and my last truck was a 2014 Hemi. I'd pick the Ecodiesel evey time over the Hemi.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
lets all remember we all have our own opinions about what works best for our uses. My dealer tried very hard to get me to buy
an ecodiesel but i wanted an truck that can tow with less of the expenses on maintenance, i am on my 5 ram since 2009 and will always buy the hemi due to high trade value and dealer cost low purchase pricing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
You do know the official tow rating are about 1K less than the Hemi? and 1K+ over the V6 gasser? I've had 7K behind mine, handled that with ease.
If you put the same trailer load behind all three power-plants, the EcoD will put the gassers to shame fuel economy wise and have no issues towing the load.
The EcoD wasn't intended to be a brute force towing rig like the CTD. Very very few people tow/haul anything with 1500 that the EcoD can't, all while doing it much more efficiently, that can't be said about the V6 gasser.

Testy arn't we... I am going strictly by RAMTRUCKS.com and every Laramie I looked at in a 500 miles radius maxed at just over 7K. The reason I bought my Hemi at 10,100. In the OP it does not state 4x4 or gearing but below is the tow ratings.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2015_ram_1500_towing_charts.pdf

Page 5 for the CC with 6' bed

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
And less payload. That is all I was trying to relay. He doesn't specify his needs so I was giving my $0.02 like he asked.