Should I trade to a 2011 Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Local guy is looking to get out of his 2011 Crew Cab short box auto Cummins truck, and into a half ton. For kicks I sent him a message to see if he wanted mine. He seems somewhat interested, and the trucks are close in value. I, however, am thinking I should have thought about it a little more before talking. I'd love to be back in a diesel, but my list of things preventing this trade are: his doesn't have heated seats and wheel, or the nice stereo, just put Bilsteins on with tires/wheels I love, would eventually have to spend big money to delete and tune the Cummins, just paid $460 for the plates and registration in October. The things I wouldn't miss about my 1500 are the one wheel wonder, 44-44 TC, sunroof headliner clips that suck, and the manifold bolts that will inevitably break again.

What would you do

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I'd say no. If you just spent some coin on your truck o things you really like and then turn around and have to spend some more coin on things you'd want to do to the diesel then no thanks. Find a diesel that sits the way you want it and go after that.

Not to mention you are only about 8 hours from Dennis Dillon.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i would check into that year cummins. iirc, they have lousy mpg and some soot issues, such as having to clean the turbo every so often. and a fuel oil dilution issue? i will let you check that out.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hell no. You wouldn't even be moving laterally on that. A truck's worth is determined by more than the blackbook. Out of warranty cummins could be a nightmare if there's anything wrong with it and it would cost you plenty. Then again, maybe there's not a thing and it will keep chugging along fine. Just not a gamble I'd take with my money. The post 2013(?) HDs have a multitude of changes to the frame, suspension etc. I wouldn't even look at one before that unless I already owned it.

To each his own though.

EDIT: Source for my aversion, my little brother got into an out of warranty cummins and was completely blind sided by all of the repairs it needed. Cost him a fortune. By the time he bought the truck then paid the same dealer for all the repair work that mysteriously surfaced afterwards, he was already 2,000 past the price of a new truck. Tough lesson to learn. He sold the truck and lost about 12G.

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I would be wary of a lateral trade when it is basically a down grade for the other party.

Makes one wonder what they are off loading to get into yours?

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2012 cummins. Best truck I have ever owned. I love my 14 1500 only because the options I have and the interior is way nicer than my cummins. But if I could go back, I would have never sold my 2012. My cummins, I did a ton of mods to and the ONLY issue I ever had was ball joints and 1 wheel bearing. The truck had 80k on it when I sold it and not if it's life it had 22x12 wheels on it. So ball joint and wheel bearing failure I can take blame for.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i must be the odd one out because considering the mileage/condition of that cummins truck, i would gladly trade.

OP
OP
Gump

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
His has 84,000, mine has 74.

freefallin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it were a 2013+ I would trade, seeing as how this is not the case I'd vote against it.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds like a deal going south (for the winter lol) but honestly m8 i wouldnt unless you dont mind putting some coin into the cummins and thats after doing a head to toe inspection of the truck, other than that id say no go.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As I just traded a 2011 3500 Ram SRW w/ Cummins for my 2017 Ram 1500 I'll give you my opinion FWIW.
My 2011 was a decent truck, much nicer than the 1995 2500 5-speed w/ Cummins I sold before getting the 2011. The few times I towed with it, it performed flawlessly. Most of the time, it was driven empty. If mileage is a concern, my 2011 got 15-16 mpg on the hi-way. If speeds were kept below 70, it could eke out 16.5, maybe 17 provided the route wasn't too hilly.
I did have it deleted for 4 years, but the mileage didn't increase appreciably. I've read where folks have claimed incredible mileage gains after deleting; good for them, I didn't see it. Driveability was a lot better, but I didn't delete for HP/torque gains; only to get rid of the hated EGR and exhaust after-treatment (DPF, etc). I returned the vehicle to stock once inspection stations here began looking for all emissions equipment, and ran it stock again for a year before deciding to trade. (with full disclosure to the dealer)
I made the move to a 1500 simply because I really didn't need a 3500, and frankly not a 2500 either. And I was getting frustrated with diesel in general.
The truck you described should have had it's oil separator filter (above the valve cover) replaced @ 64k miles. Not good if it hasn't been done, and will need to be done ASAP. The EGR cooler and associated plumbing also needed to be cleaned @ that 64K mark, and is quite the PITA, I've done it. If it hasn't been done on this truck, another issue. I religiously replaced the fuel filters every 10K miles. The service history for that will need to be determined. The ATF and filters in the 68RFE trans should have been changed every 30K miles. Another question to ask. The cummins equipped 4x4's tend to wear ball joints, some before the mileage of the truck in which you are interested.
You mentioned wanting to delete at some point. Since the environmental punishment agency began cracking down on diesel tuners a few years ago, as far as I know, all the tuning boxes for these trucks have been pulled from the market. You would have to find one second hand. I used an H&S mini-max, but wound up selling it to the person who purchased my truck from the dealer to whom I traded it.
Another consideration about deleting is there has been quite a bit of discussion about deleting, and ultimately having a head gasket failure. This is largely dependent on which tuner (as different methods were used to generate the higher hp/torque), and right foot management, and even with that, installing a good quality active waste-gate to keep boost in check as well as monitoring exhaust back pressure are strongly recommended.

If you don't delete, the DPF will likely be in need of replacement ~ the 150K mile mark. A new DPF unfortunately isn't cheap.
Another consideration is injectors on some of the 6.7 Cummins can fail. They don't just stop working, they wind up injecting too much fuel, and you will notice that the engine is "making" oil. If that happens, the oil will have to be tested to determine % fuel dilution, and then each injector tested. Not every Dodge dealer is capable of doing this work BTW. Another thing to keep in mind.
Just a few things to consider. Sorry for the long post.

OP
OP
Gump

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Custom tuners with EFI Live can tune for deletes. We have a local guy who will give the EPA a middle finger and take care of it. However, that's expensive and I can't live with 15 mpg out of a diesel. I've personally owned 5 Cummins trucks (12V which was the best, two VP44s, an 05 and 06), and the worst empty mileage they ever got was 17. That was on a 600 horsepower VP truck with 40" tires. 15 mpg is asinine when the gas trucks get better. Think that seals the deal, I'll stick with the Hemi. The $1500 I'd spend on deletes and tuning will fix my current annoyances of the 1500.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
its a mistake to compare the 5.9 cummins to the current models. imo, the epa has destroyed the benefits of the diesel engines.

OP
OP
Gump

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its a mistake to compare the 5.9 cummins to the current models. imo, the epa has destroyed the benefits of the diesel engines.

The 5.9 from 94-98 and 06-07 were the best, and the current market shows them in high demand. That's why I have the Hemi, I couldn't find any deals that were reasonable for those trucks.

We had an 07.5 6.7 at work, and it was a royal POS. Finally had to park it because it would constantly go into limp mode every 25 minutes, plus cruise control quit working. 4 shops and $10,000 later no one could figure it out.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Custom tuners with EFI Live can tune for deletes. We have a local guy who will give the EPA a middle finger and take care of it. However, that's expensive and I can't live with 15 mpg out of a diesel. I've personally owned 5 Cummins trucks (12V which was the best, two VP44s, an 05 and 06), and the worst empty mileage they ever got was 17. That was on a 600 horsepower VP truck with 40" tires. 15 mpg is asinine when the gas trucks get better. Think that seals the deal, I'll stick with the Hemi. The $1500 I'd spend on deletes and tuning will fix my current annoyances of the 1500.
Your wallet will thank you. I think that's a sound choice.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5.9 from 94-98 and 06-07 were the best, and the current market shows them in high demand. That's why I have the Hemi, I couldn't find any deals that were reasonable for those trucks.

We had an 07.5 6.7 at work, and it was a royal POS. Finally had to park it because it would constantly go into limp mode every 25 minutes, plus cruise control quit working. 4 shops and $10,000 later no one could figure it out.

^ This is why I have a 6.4 2500-
Every decent diesel third gen I found was 32-42k-
I Bought my truck brand new for 39k.