Silverado for ram 2500 6.4 need opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cleave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also need a full crew with a 6 1/2 bed. I can't get that with ram half tons.

I picked up a '17 1500 crew cab with the 6.4ft box a few weeks ago. Like clh said, they're hard to find but they're out there. I went to the dealership, told them what I wanted and they found one for me at a dealership across the state. They bought it from the other dealer and sent someone to go get it. This one has the 3.21 rear end but the 8 speed really does make up for that.

All that being said, if you're towing a TT that weighs 7K, you'd be getting pretty close to max towing capacity on a cc long bed 1500 unless you can find one with a 3.92 rear end.

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought my 2015 6.4 in August of 2015. Here is my opinion and what I wished I'd done different. Make sure to get the Anti-spin (Limited Slip Diff) rear end. Also I have 3.73's and I wish I had the 4.10's. By no means is the 3.73 rear-end awful but the 4.10's are much better. There is a big gap between 1st and 2nd and the 4.10's seem to help with that. My truck came with a back up camera and the rear sensors that i didn't want at the time and i thought were a waste. Well i was wrong. They make loading a trailer and getting in&out of tight parking lots much easier. Mileage isn't great but what do you expect. Ride quality is great compared to other 2500's. I don't have fog lights and with the basic quad headlights the light output seems poor. Overall though i really like the truck. I was considering a Chevy with 6.0 at the time and i am happy with my decision.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Apparently you guys can't read he wants a 2500 so comparing a 6.4 to a 5.7 1500 with 8 speed is worthless. The guy said he doesn't want a 1500 cause he feels more comfortable with a 2500 given the weight. Not everyone buys a truck to race stop light to stop light. Of course a 1500 will be quicker is significantly lighter. What makes the 6.4 appealing is it bridges the gap between a gas and diesel, where the 5.7 doesn't. Many people, myself included, don't want to pay 10k more for a diesel when the 6.4 will do everything we need. You're pushing a man into a 1500 cause it better suits you. We get it, the 5.7 with the 8 speed is nice, quick and can tow/haul a decent amount but that doesn't mean **** when to someone WANTING a 2500.
I'm not pushing anybody into anything. I made a comment when he said he couldn't get a 6ft bed with a crew in a 1500. Then I posted about them being hard to find. Again off of his comment. I posted in you're post becasue you didn't compare apples to apples. It's up to the op to decide what he wants. Didn't seem like to me he knew the capability of the 1500. When someone says they don't want a dial shifter. I'm pretty sure there not familar with the 8 speed. :favorites13: I can read just sayin.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Apparently you guys can't read he wants a 2500 so comparing a 6.4 to a 5.7 1500 with 8 speed is worthless. The guy said he doesn't want a 1500 cause he feels more comfortable with a 2500 given the weight. Not everyone buys a truck to race stop light to stop light. Of course a 1500 will be quicker is significantly lighter. What makes the 6.4 appealing is it bridges the gap between a gas and diesel, where the 5.7 doesn't. Many people, myself included, don't want to pay 10k more for a diesel when the 6.4 will do everything we need. You're pushing a man into a 1500 cause it better suits you. We get it, the 5.7 with the 8 speed is nice, quick and can tow/haul a decent amount but that doesn't mean **** when to someone WANTING a 2500.

Actually, he asked for opinions. Many people aren't educated on the ram brand, or what, or how it can benefit them. towing 7k behind a 1500 is accepted, and built to do that. The 6.4 isn't a good gap, that's the problem, your towing is increased so much not because of the motor, but because of the frame. It's a bigger truck, with a gutless motor. If he , or you, don't want to hear about the benefits of the 5.7 in the 1500, then don't post on a public place asking for advice? As someone who has owned both, driven both, and have facts to back up my opinion, I feel as though my opinion is valid in his question.

Moreover, everything his listed, gutless, clanking, hard ride... that all exists in the 2500, so an educated person would assume someone coming into a brand they haven't owned before, might want to know the benefits of staying away from something he's leaving, and because the 6.4 will offer him much of the same problems, we give opinions. Hence speaking to groups of people with different opinions.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
He never asked if he could tow that much behind a 1500, did he? No. He asked people's opinion of those who own a 6.4 2500 and any issues or things they have encountered. So your talk of a 1500 is irrelevant, again. He stated clearly he'd rather have a 2500 to tow that weight. The 6.4 is far from gutless, not sure how you come to that conclusion. Because a 5.7 in a 1500 is faster?

clh1220 The only reason I compared the 5.7 to the 6.4 is to compare the engines in the same platform. Of course the 5.7 won't feel as powerful but given the weight the 6.4 does a better job and is a significant difference, despite producing similar numbers. That's the only reason I compared it. Again, he was asked why a 2500 and not a 1500, he answered. Simple, end of the 1500 talk.

It's quite simple guys, he didn't ask for 1500 opinions. The title states that. I'm sure he's well aware of the towing capacity of a 1500 and what can or can not be done.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 1500 5.7 but traded up to the 2500 6.4 bc I couldn't stand that little 5'7" bed. But its a world of difference. The 1500 is great drives like a car and has plenty of power. But the 2500 is a TRUCK. you can do whatever you want with it and nearly pull anything you want with it. Its a big motor and yes you can tell the difference in power between the 5.7 and 6.4. So its basically the same as "2wd vs 4wd" you don't always need 4wd but when you need it its always good to have it

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Exactly^! Im not bashing a 1500 I loved mine and had plenty of power even with the 5 speed, but its nothing compared to what I can do with the 2500, all around not just motor based.

OP
OP
S

Slow3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Silverado 1500
Engine
Settle down guys lol, I will read and take every Ram opinion into consideration.

I appreciate all the input. A half ton is out of the question for me at this point. My dad has a 2012 Ram 2500 crew, 8' bed with the 5.7. It makes regular 7 hour trips up to Wisconsin with his similar trailer setup. It has enough motor to do what it needs to do. He has been a Ram Man since I can remember, do the 17's have the same transmission as his?

I have driven a dial shifter 8sp, it was a great truck. Just not what I am looking for. I would defiantly want 4.10 gears. My luck thats special order. Prefer to get one before a redesign. I like the 4th gen look. The 14 I own was a 1st year redesign, I dont want to be a guinea pig again on a redesign.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He never asked if he could tow that much behind a 1500, did he? No. He asked people's opinion of those who own a 6.4 2500 and any issues or things they have encountered. So your talk of a 1500 is irrelevant, again. He stated clearly he'd rather have a 2500 to tow that weight. The 6.4 is far from gutless, not sure how you come to that conclusion. Because a 5.7 in a 1500 is faster?

clh1220 The only reason I compared the 5.7 to the 6.4 is to compare the engines in the same platform. Of course the 5.7 won't feel as powerful but given the weight the 6.4 does a better job and is a significant difference, despite producing similar numbers. That's the only reason I compared it. Again, he was asked why a 2500 and not a 1500, he answered. Simple, end of the 1500 talk.

It's quite simple guys, he didn't ask for 1500 opinions. The title states that. I'm sure he's well aware of the towing capacity of a 1500 and what can or can not be done.

Ahh.. you're one of those, not to worry, I can educate everyone. For one, I gave an opinion on the 2500, I compared it to a better truck for what he wanted, hence my opinion.

for two, I compared the motors, and I was correct, as I said, facts > opinion. Let me explain below, in detail since you're confused.

2016 Dodge ram 1500 - Weight - 5,160 ( average between trims )
2016 Dodge ram 2500 - weight - 6,800 ( Average between trims )

Those averages are on big horn CREW CAB models.

2016 Dodge ram 1500 5.7 HP / TQ - 395HP / 410lb-ft
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 HP / TQ - 410HP / 429lb-ft

That gives the 6.4 the upper hand by 15HP, and 19 ft-lb.

The difference in weight between the two is : 1640 pounds.
All things considered, the power to weight ratio of the 5.7 and 6.4 is listed below.

2016 Ram 1500 5.7 - 0.077HP per 1LB of weight
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 - 0.06HP per 1lb of weight

2016 Ram 1500 5.7 lb-ft - 0.079lb-ft
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 lb-ft - 0.063lb-ft

Has NOTHING to do with being faster as you're feeble mind seems to think. The truck has less power per pound, always will. now, when you're towing the weight, I can go into power per pound on that too.. guess who wins? Yes, the 1500.

He asked for an opinion, he got one, a very solid, mathematically sound one.

You're welcome.

EDIT : During posting this, the OP said " I appreciate all the input. A half ton is out of the question for me at this point. My dad has a 2012 Ram 2500 crew, 8' bed with the 5.7. It makes regular 7 hour trips up to Wisconsin with his similar trailer setup. It has enough motor to do what it needs to do. He has been a Ram Man since I can remember, do the 17's have the same transmission as his? ", so clearly he wants it for the frame / chasis, not the motor, in which case, my argument is moot. Still, its important to educate some of those who don't understand math.

OP
OP
S

Slow3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Silverado 1500
Engine
I had a 1500 5.7 but traded up to the 2500 6.4 bc I couldn't stand that little 5'7" bed. But its a world of difference. The 1500 is great drives like a car and has plenty of power. But the 2500 is a TRUCK. you can do whatever you want with it and nearly pull anything you want with it. Its a big motor and yes you can tell the difference in power between the 5.7 and 6.4. So its basically the same as "2wd vs 4wd" you don't always need 4wd but when you need it its always good to have it

You nailed it with the "drives like a car" I cant stand the car feel my chevy has.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You nailed it with the "drives like a car" I cant stand the car feel my chevy has.

If it makes you feel any better, I wen't to the lot to pick up a 2500 6.4 :) It's a solid truck, and it will make you happy, not to mention they look damn sexy. to answer your question, the 2017 will have the 8 speed though ( noticed it wasn't answered )

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
yillbs, clearly you dont get it. He stated he wanted a 2500 given the weight of what he is towing. While a 1500 could tow that much and be fine, a 2500 will handle it much better all around, not just power wise. A 2500 frame, axles, brakes are all set up stronger than the 1500. Your numbers make you feel good about your decision which is fine, nothing wrong with it. Wasn't what he asked for originally, in the title, opinions on the 6.4 2500, which was my point.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yillbs, clearly you dont get it. He stated he wanted a 2500 given the weight of what he is towing. While a 1500 could tow that much and be fine, a 2500 will handle it much better all around, not just power wise. A 2500 frame, axles, brakes are all set up stronger than the 1500. Your numbers make you feel good about your decision which is fine, nothing wrong with it. Wasn't what he asked for originally, in the title, opinions on the 6.4 2500, which was my point.

I understood his question... Yes, it allows him to tow more, but I think you're not getting the opinion part. I gave my opinion on the 2500, and for 7k# of towing, it's not a better option. Even with a full family in the back. When it comes to that kind of weight, the ram 1500 is going to, mathematically tow it better. that's why it's called an OPINION. I think 7k on a 2500 is going to make it think you're playing games with it.

However, I'm not going to beat the cow to death. the 2500 is capable, awesome, and very much a mans truck. But those pointing out they can feel the power difference, that makes no sense lol, it has literally less power.

If you're going to get the 2500 OP, at least get the black appearance group edition, it's sexy AF.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you can. I have one.

I was kind of irritated when I originally got my 1500BBC I didn't know they offered both beds. Oh well that's my problem for my lack of knowledge at the time. But I do think the 6'4" beds might be made to order bc I haven't seen any new on the lots I've been to. I don't know maybe the guys with the long bed 1500s could chime in. Anyways I did love my 1500 for the short 9 months I had it but my new love now is a 2500 8' bed I feel like I can conquer the world in it ha ha

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I understood his question... Yes, it allows him to tow more, but I think you're not getting the opinion part. I gave my opinion on the 2500, and for 7k# of towing, it's not a better option. Even with a full family in the back. When it comes to that kind of weight, the ram 1500 is going to, mathematically tow it better. that's why it's called an OPINION. I think 7k on a 2500 is going to make it think you're playing games with it.

However, I'm not going to beat the cow to death. the 2500 is capable, awesome, and very much a mans truck. But those pointing out they can feel the power difference, that makes no sense lol, it has literally less power.

If you're going to get the 2500 OP, at least get the black appearance group edition, it's sexy AF.

Ok now I finally see that you were giving your opinion. I read it differently, as saying the 1500 was just as suited as the 2500, when in general it's not. As far as power goes, there's no doubt in a 1500 you can feel the 5.7 as it's pretty impressive for being a truck. However, the 6.4 in the 2500 definitely isn't gutless. I guess that's where we disagree. Handshake.

OP, I don't think you'll be disappointed in any Ram as you can see we all stand behind our truck pretty proudly. However, at least we can debate on this forum, have differences and remain civil hahaha

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was kind of irritated when I originally got my 1500BBC I didn't know they offered both beds. Oh well that's my problem for my lack of knowledge at the time. But I do think the 6'4" beds might be made to order bc I haven't seen any new on the lots I've been to. I don't know maybe the guys with the long bed 1500s could chime in. Anyways I did love my 1500 for the short 9 months I had it but my new love now is a 2500 8' bed I feel like I can conquer the world in it ha ha

I didn't have to order. I am in st louis mo. I searched 400 miles out. There was 2 at a dealer in Arkansas and I bought one. There was a couple in Iowa and found one Kentucky. Now those were the ones that were equipped the way I wanted. All laramies except for one sport. Now Andrew I'm responding to his question. Is that ok. ROTFLMAO :happy107:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok now I finally see that you were giving your opinion. I read it differently, as saying the 1500 was just as suited as the 2500, when in general it's not. As far as power goes, there's no doubt in a 1500 you can feel the 5.7 as it's pretty impressive for being a truck. However, the 6.4 in the 2500 definitely isn't gutless. I guess that's where we disagree. Handshake.

OP, I don't think you'll be disappointed in any Ram as you can see we all stand behind our truck pretty proudly. However, at least we can debate on this forum, have differences and remain civil hahaha

Yes, exactly, thank you :)

I'll try to retract my statement abit regarding the " gutless ", i used the term a bit loosely. It's a powerful motor, but Dodge did a bad thing by putting a less powerful motor in the 2500 than they did in the 1500. The power should be on par, the 6.4, in order to work on paper needs to be between 450HP, and 465HP, with close to 480ft-lb, why they chose to go this route is beyond me.

Of course, that's only because we CAN compare it to the 5.7, so they kind of shot themselves i the foot. This is why I'm always at a loss as to why so many people chose the 6.4, YES, it's a hemi, yes it's awesome, but based off the number we have to go by.. it's underpowered.

That aside, glad we're on the same page now. I don't want to steal this guys thread, I just hope he takes what has been said, and makes the right choice. Then again, when you want something, you'll always find a way to justify it, I do. I wanted a new motorcycle, didn't need one, had a brand new, but i got it anyways, that's the beauty of our free world :)

OP
OP
S

Slow3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Silverado 1500
Engine
You guys do play well together compared to my gm trucks forum. I appreciate that.

I work in the trades and starting a project in a week, week and a half. Going to run 7 days a week 12 hours a day for 2 months. So this purchase will be postponed until this job is done.

I still have factory warranty to run out on the silverado anyway, definitely want some good seat covers for the new truck before it's covered in crap from work. Plus not being able to see my new truck in the daylight for 2 months will drive me crazy!

All you guys that are leveled out there, what do you think of thuren springs? I don't want a spacer kit.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
If your going to lift/level it those and Carli springs are top knotch.
If you get the 2500 with the 6.4l and the 6sp get the 4:10 gears the transmission has very tall gears in it, shoot it could really use 4:56s in it.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I looked at the 2500s with the 6.4 as well and if it would have had a different transmission thats what I would be in right now. I really feel like the 5.7 and 8sp will pull more as it puts the power down better with its lower gear ratios.
I came out of a 07 2500 Cummins and am used to a heavy duty truck but a heavy half probably suites me better for my use so I am just going to upgrade my 1500s suspension/brakes some to help, this and adding some 8 or 10ply tires should get rid of this car like feel and make it feel more like a capable truck.

Best thing to do is drive both, both are solid trucks no question.

Last Chevy I had was a 06 Z71 (had Chevys my all my life) while I really liked most everything about the truck but its power out put, I felt so disappointed in the power GMs tuning really just made it a slug and even more so compared to this Ram I have now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock