Silverado for ram 2500 6.4 need opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From my understanding the 6.4 is detuned bc its made to do truck work and last longer. The 6.4 in the srt8 has 470hp so its easily capable of those "paper numbers" if that'll make you happier. Either way even though its only "15 horses" its still a completely different beast. Either truck is ****** awesome though I love both 1500 and 2500. If I towed heavy loads I wouldve loved the CTD but I don't so no need for that monster

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
My father bought a 2013 F-150 supercrew (crew cab) 6.5' box because, at that time, Ram didn't offer the 6'4" box with the crew cab, and he wanted it.

However, he took one ride in my 2013 Ram 1500, and knew he wanted to convert back. Luckily for him, starting in 2014, they began offering the 6'4" box with the crew cab. He bought a leftover 2015 brand new Laramie, but had to drive about eight hours (each way) to get it. Some people just really want that longer bed. I inherited a small 6'x8' flat bed trailer from my grandfather for when my shortbox won't do, and that works quite well for me.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, exactly, thank you :)

I'll try to retract my statement abit regarding the " gutless ", i used the term a bit loosely. It's a powerful motor, but Dodge did a bad thing by putting a less powerful motor in the 2500 than they did in the 1500. The power should be on par, the 6.4, in order to work on paper needs to be between 450HP, and 465HP, with close to 480ft-lb, why they chose to go this route is beyond me.

Of course, that's only because we CAN compare it to the 5.7, so they kind of shot themselves i the foot. This is why I'm always at a loss as to why so many people chose the 6.4, YES, it's a hemi, yes it's awesome, but based off the number we have to go by.. :)

It comes down to tuning and they did it for regulatory purposes and emissions. This engine with proper tuning and a better exhaust cause who puts a flap that opens with exhaust flow and you'll have yourself a 450hp engine. I'd be curious to see someone do it, an intake, ypipe and exhaust paired with a proper tune, I bet it'd produce great numbers. But it comes back to emissions. I don't have an issue with the transmission as much as others but even the canned 93 tune and some adjustment by myself the 6spd is really good. Changning shift points under partial acceleration has drastically changed it. With the forged internals I don't think anyone would have to worry too much about over tuning, maybe I'll be the guinea pig...

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The last 2500 I had was a 03 with a little straight 6 5.9 HO. Now that was a HD truck motor. OP I'd suggest you don't drive a Cummins when you're looking. Because that 6.4 will feel like your 5.3. Lol .

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It comes down to tuning and they did it for regulatory purposes and emissions. This engine with proper tuning and a better exhaust cause who puts a flap that opens with exhaust flow and you'll have yourself a 450hp engine. I'd be curious to see someone do it, an intake, ypipe and exhaust paired with a proper tune, I bet it'd produce great numbers. But it comes back to emissions. I don't have an issue with the transmission as much as others but even the canned 93 tune and some adjustment by myself the 6spd is really good. Changning shift points under partial acceleration has drastically changed it. With the forged internals I don't think anyone would have to worry too much about over tuning, maybe I'll be the guinea pig...

Regulatory and emissions ? even if so, I've done the math for ya, go back a page. The what if world could go on forever , base for base, its underpowered , period.

OP
OP
S

Slow3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Silverado 1500
Engine
The last 2500 I had was a 03 with a little straight 6 5.9 HO. Now that was a HD truck motor. OP I'd suggest you don't drive a Cummins when you're looking. Because that 6.4 will feel like your 5.3. Lol .

I wont to test drive the cummins, I would be 8k poorer instantly.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wont to test drive the cummins, I would be 8k poorer instantly.

You'd be surprised. I went to a dealer to specifically purchase a speced out Cummins , I drove it and hated it :( for daily driving, its just not decent (imo) , I say this because I was dead set , like that's what I was getting , had me cash ready and everything. The turbo lag killed it for me, its just not what I expected. Maybe the same will happen to you :)

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Regulatory and emissions ? even if so, I've done the math for ya, go back a page. The what if world could go on forever , base for base, its underpowered , period.

I say that because there's no reason a very similar motor to the SRTs will produce 20-25% less power, granted different head design, but otherwise over built other than emissions/regulations. Even how Cummins engines are out of the box, they leave a lot on the table due to emissions and are detuned drastically. Every manufacturer does this on pretty much every model. The new BMW turbo's, Ford eco's they're detuned from the factory when they can all handle more. Even factoring the HP per LB ratio to the 1500, its no cummins but Id have to disagree its under-powered. Most would say they're more than happy with the power it has, while some as yourself would say otherwise. Just personal opinion. Still, a proper tune wakes these up for sure.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You'd be surprised. I went to a dealer to specifically purchase a speced out Cummins , I drove it and hated it :( for daily driving, its just not decent (imo) , I say this because I was dead set , like that's what I was getting , had me cash ready and everything. The turbo lag killed it for me, its just not what I expected. Maybe the same will happen to you :)

I doubt I would get one now since they did the smog **** to it. I would love to have my 5.9 back though. The new one is still way more impressive than the 6.4 though.:favorites13:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I say that because there's no reason a very similar motor to the SRTs will produce 20-25% less power, granted different head design, but otherwise over built other than emissions/regulations. Even how Cummins engines are out of the box, they leave a lot on the table due to emissions and are detuned drastically. Every manufacturer does this on pretty much every model. The new BMW turbo's, Ford eco's they're detuned from the factory when they can all handle more. Even factoring the HP per LB ratio to the 1500, its no cummins but Id have to disagree its under-powered. Most would say they're more than happy with the power it has, while some as yourself would say otherwise. Just personal opinion. Still, a proper tune wakes these up for sure.

I'm sorry, you misunderstood. That wasn't an opinion, review my math, its underpowered.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He must either have a 5.7 or a CTD bc he clearly hasn't been in a 6.4

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He must either have a 5.7 or a CTD bc he clearly hasn't been in a 6.4

Considering I'm the only person speaking regarding it, I assume you mean me. I owned a 6.4, that's a moot point though, as I pointed out... again... with actual data, it's an underpowered truck, compared to the 5.7. How are you guys not getting this ?

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It can do more than all the trucks in its class (excluding diesels of course) so id really like to know how its under powered without you using the words "on paper" or "data"

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It can do more than all the trucks in its class (excluding diesels of course) so id really like to know how its under powered without you using the words "on paper" or "data"

You girls are such babies. How else do you describe it, power-to-weight is BELOW that of the 5.7, which is what I've said. If you want to tow under 10k pounds, the math says get a 1500 with the 5.7, it has MORE power. Grabbing it because " it feels better " is nothing more than misinformed buyers.

I get you don't want to accept that, because you have a 6.4, and I'm sorry. However, " data " , and " numbers on paper " , are all that matter. MATH isn't wrong, physics.. it's not wrong, real life conditions take into account every bit of engineering mathematics, Ive given you that, and yet you continue to tell me I'm " wrong "..

The logic you're using to justify the purchase you made is flawed, once more, understandable, but still very very wrong.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually little buddy read again I had a 1500 but upgraded bc the 2500 handles loads way better speaking from experience not data. That's the whole reason its an HD. Sounds like you don't understand but I'm not worried about that bc I know I can tow and haul damn near anything now

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actually little buddy read again I had a 1500 but upgraded bc the 2500 handles loads way better speaking from experience not data. That's the whole reason its an HD. Sounds like you don't understand but I'm not worried about that bc I know I can tow and haul damn near anything now

I agree with you :( , the 6.4 CAN tow just about anything, it's that chasis that makes that possible, not the engine. POWER for pulling requires .. well.. power, the power the 6.4 puts out, versus the power puts out makes the 5.7 1500 a better choice for loads under 10k# , of course people are entitled to opinions regarding what FEELS better. I merely pointed out that people saying they can FEEL more power in the 6.4 would be mistaken, as it has LESS power. This wasn't a debate over hauling anything, the HD is an HD for a reason, I'm on board with that. I did however point out ( with facts ), that the 6.4 gas motor in the 2500 is underpowered, and, it is. That's because we have to , thats what the initial discussion was regarding. Why dodge chose to do this, I don't know, but the facts are facts, regardless of how you want to phrase is.. This was a huge problem we had with the election, people don't always LIKE facts, but facts don't discriminate. Facts show what I said, my opinion says the 5.7 1500 is better for hauling loads under 10k#, due to the MORE power it puts out.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm the one that originally said it was detuned on purpose. Its made to do truck work and last much longer than the 5.7 so saying its gutless or underpowered doesn't make much sense. That's like saying there's no reason to buy a 2500 5.7. To each their own. Lets just agree to disagree and move on my thumb is getting tired and plus its beer 30

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
First off we aren't girls, I thought we were being civil here hahaha... I'm done here, ✌️