small diesels are coming.... to US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lelikmed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummnis 6.7
Dodge will release it's version of 2014 Ram 1500 3.0-Liter EcoDiesel V6.
Going to cost $4k above petrol version.
Mazda releasing a 2.2 Sky-active turbo diesel 4 cyl engine which will go on Mazda 6 and Mazda 3.

So far on the market the cheapest diesel-engined cars are VW Golf/Jetta - 22-24k.

Next in the price range are BMW 3 series.

Then you look into German SUV territory - VW/BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Porsche all of them offers diesel engines, but for the nice price.

Finally there's going to be more options..

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have heard a few different prices on upcharge for the EcoDiesel I guess we will see what it actually ends up being. I for one am very interested in one and I will certainly entertain the idea of getting one even though I love my current Ram.

OP
OP
L

lelikmed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummnis 6.7
Looks like it's going to be around $28k

- you pay 4k premium over petrol...

Engien is sourced from Italian engien maker - not Cummings... Cummings don't make anything less than 10000000000 Liters ....

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like it's going to be around $28k

- you pay 4k premium over petrol...

Engien is sourced from Italian engien maker - not ******gs... ******gs don't make anything less than 10000000000 Liters ....

Cummins, Cummins, Cummins

^Bingo. Ram has already said the upcharge will be $2,850.

I will strongly consider one for my next truck. Although I really love this one so I'll probably be hanging on to it for quite a while.

Ticeblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The real question is will it have DPF, and DEF....and be as restrictive as the 2500 and up models or will it be treated differently? It has the same diesel as the new jeep grand Cherokee and it doesn't have the restrictions.

I really like my hemi but man the possibilities with that motor and the 8 speed.

OP
OP
L

lelikmed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummnis 6.7
Towing capacity of this small size turbo-diesel probably will be just around the same as V8 petrol or less..? ... around 8-12k depends on the differential.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
The real question is will it have DPF, and DEF....and be as restrictive as the 2500 and up models or will it be treated differently? It has the same diesel as the new jeep grand Cherokee and it doesn't have the restrictions.

I really like my hemi but man the possibilities with that motor and the 8 speed.

Itll probably be a final tier 4 engine so It'll have the DEF SCR and DPF im pretty sure. Emissions suck!!!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Towing capacity of this small size turbo-diesel probably will be just around the same as V8 petrol or less..? ... around 8-12k depends on the differential.

Yes but since torque will be high at lower RPM it will feel totally different than with gas engine and we know how the HEMI needs to have high RPMs to get its peak hence why it does really well with lower gears this engine should not need a lot of winding up to get going. It will also have a lot better MPG empty.

$miley

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You forgot about The Chevy Cruze Diesel, pretty neat little contender, I'd still take the Golf TDI, it's got YEARS of experience.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Chevy had to do something with the cruze since the battery and cross configurations caught fire and what ever else they had wrong!! :D

One lemon GM product in my life was enough for me.

I would wait at least one year before buying the new 1500 Diesel until they get the bugs out of it! just saying

I would say in the next 5 years there are going to be diesels from all manufactures.

VW makes strong engines in VW,audi,porsche,bugatti veyron is a VW w16 motor.

All my stable of vehicles are Diesel, the exceptions are 2 polaris quads,2 honda motorcycles and our 20' boat with 350 motor

The 2012 jetta tdi we had on a trip from conway sc to pittsburgh Pa 650 miles on 14 gallon of diesel running 70-80mph up the interstate 46.5mpg yahoo!

Our new 2013 Jetta TDI gets better mileage.

Diesel is cheaper to make than gas because it is not refined as much to get to the usable product of diesel.

Eliminate all the different octanes,winter blends ,summer blend,california blend make one 91octane and the price of gas and diesel could be $2.00 less per gallon overnight.

Get ride of all the subsidies for ethanol.

Just my 2 cents

Regards
Don

OP
OP
L

lelikmed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummnis 6.7
Image a hybrid diesel-electric trucks - just like public buses. Great mpg and awesome torque. someday.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Image a hybrid diesel-electric trucks - just like public buses. Great mpg and awesome torque. someday.

There is a market for so much more than people even know.
A small diesel electric generator whose sole purpose is to charge up the battery pack could make a beast of a truck.
I mean, it would totally change how a truck looks (No need for a huge engine compartment etc) and how it performs.
(Read way better, look at the MPG/Ton of a freight train and get back to me)

Imagine a truck with 800+ FtLbs of torque at 0.000001 RPM!
Talk about towing performance!

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
The problem with some hybrids that use batteries is the initial cost of owner ship is to big and takes to long for the consumer to break even.

Battery technology at present is not up to the task,lithium batteries are catching fire in planes,cars and power tools.

The cost to replace a battery in a prius is 7-10 G's plus labor and there life cycle seems to be 6yrs. So how do you ever get even,let alone ahead with buying a hybrid.

So first you pay crazy price to buy such a vehicle and may not make it to payoff of the original price before you have to spend ridiculous money to buy and install a new battery.

Clean diesel is the way to go.

The other possibility is LNG(liquified natural gas) or propane.

Here in the USA I laugh every time I see a truck/bus with signs all over it saying it is "propane powered". ITS ABOUT TIME!!

Other countries have been using Rock Gas(unrefined natural gas)comes from the same place they are finding shale oil here in the USA or LNG since the early 70'S.

Boy the USA is way behind in this area!!!

We need to get rid of the crooked EPA and the ******** "Carbon Footprint" the government is shoving down our throat.

We already have the most strict environmental standards in the world!!

Make the rest of the world catch up to our standards before imposing more regulations on our own country !!!

:Rant:

Regards
Don

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The cost to replace a battery in a prius is 7-10 G's plus labor and there life cycle seems to be 6yrs. So how do you ever get even,let alone ahead with buying a hybrid.

While I agree with most everything you've said, this just isn't backed by fact.
I live in a town full of rich scientists, who love these cars. Their accounts of ownership simply do not reflect the common concepts floating around. One of my good customers bought a Gen I Prius and swapped in a modified Gen II pack, for less than $3k. Car runs better than new and he has been getting upwards of 65 MPG around town (it's a small low speed town, mainly gets around on battery). They aren't a great fit for everyone, specially not highway commuters, but they are rather impressive!

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I agree with most everything you've said, this just isn't backed by fact.
I live in a town full of rich scientists, who love these cars. Their accounts of ownership simply do not reflect the common concepts floating around. One of my good customers bought a Gen I Prius and swapped in a modified Gen II pack, for less than $3k. Car runs better than new and he has been getting upwards of 65 MPG around town (it's a small low speed town, mainly gets around on battery). They aren't a great fit for everyone, specially not highway commuters, but they are rather impressive!

It's also the same in Santa Fe. Expect it's not rich scientists, it's stupid hippies haha. I see many Prius' and hybrids over there.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Greg /whiteexpress

I have been in your neighborhood Los Alamos, NM at the base and will never go back.:mfr_omg:

I do not own a prius nor ever will, I was generally quoting what it did cost when prius had only been out for 5 years from what I had read.

So today did a little research after your comment on the cost today and you are correct the cost has come down, I would guess because of volume made and now being used. But even $3-4k every 4-6 years seems like high cost of maintenance.

I have some friends that have converted various vehicles to battery for city commuting and they love them.

But for the masses diesel, lng,propane and future maybe hydrogen.

There are hydrogen assisted engines and pure hydrogen engines already running in real world apps.

As soon as they can create( already in design process) a fuel cell to contain hydrogen in case of a car accident this could be the new wave of powering vehicles.

Our obama and cronies are trying to get rid of all things coal,power plants,mining.

When coal is burned a byproduct is hydrogen,so why not put a sister plant next to every coal plant to utilize the hydrogen and in effect double each coal plants output.

This idea has been around at least 20 yrs that I know of,but never seems to come out of the closet for some reason

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want hydrogen to be the next fuel also. Just really seems like a good idea to stick with an internal combustion engine thats been around for 100+ years and just start converting them to hydrogen.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Greg /whiteexpress

I have been in your neighborhood Los Alamos, NM at the base and will never go back.:mfr_omg:

I do not own a prius nor ever will, I was generally quoting what it did cost when prius had only been out for 5 years from what I had read.

So today did a little research after your comment on the cost today and you are correct the cost has come down, I would guess because of volume made and now being used. But even $3-4k every 4-6 years seems like high cost of maintenance.

I have some friends that have converted various vehicles to battery for city commuting and they love them.

But for the masses diesel, lng,propane and future maybe hydrogen.

There are hydrogen assisted engines and pure hydrogen engines already running in real world apps.

As soon as they can create( already in design process) a fuel cell to contain hydrogen in case of a car accident this could be the new wave of powering vehicles.

Our obama and cronies are trying to get rid of all things coal,power plants,mining.

When coal is burned a byproduct is hydrogen,so why not put a sister plant next to every coal plant to utilize the hydrogen and in effect double each coal plants output.

This idea has been around at least 20 yrs that I know of,but never seems to come out of the closet for some reason

Ha! We all know why! E P A :sparta: