Smell/Fumes In cab making me sick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all, I have a new 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Love the truck except when I drive it I get sick. It smells like a sour glue chemical smell. Throat starts burn and basically makes me quite il and dizzy. As I type I still have a headache .
Any guidance would be appreciated. Not sure what to do . I have read about Eco Diesels but mine is a Hemi and a 2016.

Thanx

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Dealer?

BeetleJuice

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Do you have a lighter?
Turn it on inside the cab right quick

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
There was an issue with cheap chinese hoses, in the engine compartment but thought that to be fixed. Either way, take it to the dealer. Don;t think I would drive the truck until the cause is diagnosed and it is known to be safe to drive.

Your body is trying to warn you, listen to it.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I bought mine, the new car smell gave me headaches and made me a little nautious at first. I wasn't used to having a new car, lol.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 14 Sport did that but only when the AC was on. It was some sort of chemical smell. I would had sworn my refrigerant was leaking, but I never ran out and the AC was always cold. I never figured it out....just recently traded the truck in for a 2016.

Tyler Cooke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you unhooked the battery for a couple minutes?? :crazy:

OP
OP
R

RamDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is no problem when air is on recirculate by the way. Only when its drawing from outside which comes from the engine compartment. I thought it was new car stuff but after 10k miles that would be gone. This is really intense. My kid threw up last night.

Im not sure if you are being playful or serious regarding battery disconnect.? It would make no sense if there is a leak to me.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is no problem when air is on recirculate by the way. Only when its drawing from outside which comes from the engine compartment. I thought it was new car stuff but after 10k miles that would be gone. This is really intense. My kid threw up last night.

Im not sure if you are being playful or serious regarding battery disconnect.? It would make no sense if there is a leak to me.

disconnecting the battery makes o sense to me also, but its worth a try.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Google:
bad smell = Big Warranty issue

Headaches, dizziness, kid throwing up

Take the truck to a dealer and get it fixed.

Good Luck and be sure to let us know how it plays out.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Google:
bad smell = Big Warranty issue

Headaches, dizziness, kid throwing up

Take the truck to a dealer and get it fixed.

Good Luck and be sure to let us know how it plays out.

This.

Op you have an exhaust leak in the engine compartment. It will get you killed if you pass out driving. Your lack of understanding of what is happening is exactly why you need to take it directly to the dealer with the windows down instead of ******* around asking about this on a forum. Disconnecting the battery will not help you.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I have to admit when I first read your issue, I thought you were possibly one of this hyper sensitive types that is more psychological than physical. Unless you kid is just emulating you, I have to agree there is something going on and would advise getting it to the dealer and letting them look at it. You may have to push the issue hard with the dealer as they like to blow theses types of things off.

WillO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im astonished you have put up with this for 10k miles?! Have the dealer come and pick it up, your insane to drive this with yourself inside let alone kids

OP
OP
R

RamDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a thread from this forum which is why I reached out. Obviously there are others, was wondering what their outcome was.

http://www.ramforum.com/f38/odor_engine_bay_ventilation-43327/

I figured it was a new car stink. I do 60 k a year and this is a new brand. I turn in upgrade every 1 1/2 yrs. Prior I've been through 5 Tundras no complaints except gas mileage.

It just got cold here so windows are up and heat is on. Normally I don't run AC especially with my sunroof etc.

Now with the windows closed ...its brutal.

Re hypersensitive types, Thanks but no. I run a construction company not my first rodeo around noxious stuff. I wouldn't expect it in a 60k Vehicle.

Took it to the Dealer today so we will see.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
This is a thread from this forum which is why I reached out. Obviously there are others, was wondering what their outcome was.

I figured it was a new car stink. I do 60 k a year and this is a new brand. I turn in upgrade every 1 1/2 yrs. Prior I've been through 5 Tundras no complaints except gas mileage.

It just got cold here so windows are up and heat is on. Normally I don't run AC especially with my sunroof etc.

Re hypersensitive types, Thanks but no. I run a construction company not my first rodeo around noxious stuff. I wouldn't expect it in a 60k Vehicle.

WIsh you luck and, please, let us know how it turns and the root Cause.

Tyler Cooke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not being serious about unplugging your battery... Take the truck in and get it fixed. That's a serious issue that can hurt you if it's a harmful vapor..

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

If you work construction someone there should have an air monitor used for confined spaces that you could borrow for a few minutes. Put it on the seat of the truck and drive in the same manner you normally do when you notice the smells. Record the readings on the monitor. It will alarm if it exceeds the epa required excess points.

Multi Gas Monitor : RKIinstruments.com Space Gas Monitors&utm_term=confined space air monitor&utm_content=confined space air monitor