So I have found one of my problems, now how to approach dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so two issues, if you recLL ON MY TRUCK..
ISSUE 1.. shudder at take off under moderate acceleration, especially noticeable with trailer behind it or on uphill starts where greater torque is needed.

issue 2. rear end whine..

so I think I have definitely got issue 1 figured out. All along I felt, (after research) that the carrier bearing angle needs shimmed. I posted a TSB on here form long ago and it described exactly the issue. Well this morning I had to haul about 2K pounds of sand for my father in law and guess what, it was smooth as butter, I even took a detour and took off on a steep hill, no shudder. So obviously no tranny issue. Seems once the the bed settled and the drive line angle decreased that the issue was resolved..so how do I get the dealer on this, as they said they could not duplicate?

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They have to be able to duplicate it. Even though you think you know what it is and you tell them, they can't do anything unless they duplicate it.
So good luck to you I know it frustrating when you know something is wrong but they can't find the issue

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just picked my camper back up friday so I am going to schedule a ride along, i just don't want to hear the dreaded ITS NORMAL, like the rear end whine..

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ISSUE 1.. shudder at take off under moderate acceleration, especially noticeable with trailer behind it or on uphill starts where greater torque is needed.

I have had mine in multiple times for same issue, although it does not always happen. I have been told both stories...its normal or can't duplicate it. Seems the answer depends on the tech checking it. Next dealer is well over 100 miles away, so that is a problem going elsewhere.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
had that happen a few times, once the service writer said they cant fix whats not broke.
WELL
When the service writer was bring my truck to me, it did it, so what he have to say then but, ok we will fix it now.

Next time I had a problem, the mech. couldn't find a problem, BUT the service writer did find it, so that one was fixed.
Told service writer I DID NOT want that mech. touching my truck no more, he said ok.
This was a few years ago, and believe me I checked my paper work to make sure that mech. didn't work on it.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had a similar problem with my 92 Dakota-split driveshaft. Donut carrier at the coupling was loose. Showed the service writer and even compared the free play to a new truck (which had none), but they wouldn't fix it. "Normal" was the reply. Replaced the mount myself and problem gone.......so was that dealer in about 6 months.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
problem I have is the other ram dealer close to me is a Richie rich dealer,
BUT do have a Chrysler jeep dealer close that will do work on rams and cheaper then the ram dealer I use.
Richie Rich as in a high dollar service dept.
And they get it because the part of town it is in

Last edited:
OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I may research and shim the carrier myself, but wonder if it will affect any warranty? But the rear end is Definitely a dealer fix, I'm not dealing with that.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good luck Ron, hope all works out for you. I got the same story of the dealer I went to. Even gave them a very detailed write-up of the grinding noise I have going into reverse. Course they wrote up as being normal or try to call it brake noise which it's not. I even got the tech on the phone and asked him point-blank if you got into the truck and watch the drive shaft shake when someone puts it from Park to reverse, as I had noted in my right up and he told me no. What a complete joke

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

issue 2. rear end whine..

so I think I have definitely got issue 1 figured out. All along I felt, (after research) that the carrier bearing angle needs shimmed. I posted a TSB on here form long ago and it described exactly the issue. Well this morning I had to haul about 2K pounds of sand for my father in law and guess what, it was smooth as butter, I even took a detour and took off on a steep hill, no shudder. So obviously no tranny issue. Seems once the the bed settled and the drive line angle decreased that the issue was resolved..so how do I get the dealer on this, as they said they could not duplicate?
For issue #1 driveline angle shudder, keep in mind driveline angles are always a compromise, in my experience, once you start shimming carrier bearings etc. the customer will never be happy, it may get rid of the shudder empty, but cause more of a shudder loaded.
Chances are the truck is as good as it gets set up from the factory, there are exceptions, but rare.

Issue #2 is your whine only in 6th gear light load around 55 mph?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine is! Light load, level ground, right around 55-60 mph.

Why do you ask that?

When it is making the noise, try lightly lifting or pushing down on the column gear selector.
If the noise changes, its not your rear end.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yoda, I understand your thinking. The tsb from 03/04 I have posted a couple times mentions exactly that, so I want to get it less shudder empoty, because its pretty rare i Put 2K pounds in the bed (does happen though) and my camper doesnt provide much weight on the back with the WDH. I have piece of mind about it now anyway, its not a serious issue, more of an adjustment to fit my preferences.

Issue 2 rear end, I originally thought it was in the 45-55 range, and then in the 67-73 range But from what I am understanding now, I think the low speed noise is tire noise, I say that because it seems constant I can turn my head to the right or left and the sound remains constant.. but the high speed whine, If I turn my head to the right or left, so that my ear is facing the rear of the truck it is much more noticable.. giving it gas or letting up on it does not change it until it either goes beyond that speed or slows down below it.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yoda, I understand your thinking. The tsb from 03/04 I have posted a couple times mentions exactly that, so I want to get it less shudder empoty, because its pretty rare i Put 2K pounds in the bed (does happen though) and my camper doesnt provide much weight on the back with the WDH. I have piece of mind about it now anyway, its not a serious issue, more of an adjustment to fit my preferences.

In your case I would try and shim the carrier brg. then.
Half of the problems at the dealership level is everything goes through a service writer. Many times what I tell my service writer does not get translated to the customer. I have explained this exact scenario to my service writer, only to overhear him on the phone telling the customer something completely different.
Customer comes back pissed off talking about lemon law on something that is basically normal, but the service writer gaurenteed there is a problem and we can fix it.