somethings become loose and is banging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I made a road trip to Panama and did some unpaved roads with my new 2011 1500 5.7 4x4.
I hit slow a hole in a bridge with a rebar inside and sliced/blow the passenger side front tire, so i changed all for tires to Toyo Open Country AT 305/55/R20.
Installing the tires the shop discovered that the opposite side wheel bearing is having play and need to be replaced.
So far, so good, very comfortable to drive!

Over the time a noise became more and more evident as a hearable (but not loud) banging or rattle coming from the driver side wheel well or behind it under the truck.
It sounds like a thicker piece of steel or bracket hitting the frame when i hit a hole with the driver side tire. I exclude the possibility that it's the wheel bearing or parts of the suspension as they are under load, it sound more as a loose bracket or something like this.

I crawled under the truck and checked for visual signs but could not find any loose parts or worn bushings who could provocate this noise.

Does somebody had a similar issue with his truck?

Thanks!

Chris

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My thoughts would be to Jack up the truck with the left tire off the ground. Then try an move the tire back and forth, top to bottom and side to side. It could be a bushing in the upper A arm.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Does it make the sound under braking? I had some pad slap from bad brake pads the clips were loose, and I could hear it over bumps and when brakeing. It was more of a clip but solid metal on metal sound I swore it was. Ball joint or suspension related but it was as easy as a new set of pads. My reasoning for thinking that is maybe when they pulled the caliber and rotors for the hub maybe they bent a pad bracket or it loosend up. Just something to rule out.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shock or strut damage? Had a strut blow on my car once that sounded like that

OP
OP
CostaRam

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for your suggestions!
I forgot to mention that i can reproduce the sound rocking the car sideways but could not find from where the noise comes from.
No it has nothing to do with braking, it bangs when the car rolls sidewards or i drive above a speed bump or a hole.
Well i guess i have to put her on the lift to see better from below.
Chris

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ball joint or sway bushing is a good one.
-strut mounts loose?
-control bushings?
- when braking forward momentum seemingly keeps it tight. So something has play when load changes

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Have someone help you. Ask them to rock it while you look underneath to locate the area the noise is coming from and go from there.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles are on your truck to already have a hub bearing failing?

OP
OP
CostaRam

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How many miles are on your truck to already have a hub bearing failing?
2011 1500 HEMI with 40'ooo miles. Disappointing!

Have someone help you. Ask them to rock it while you look underneath to locate the area the noise is coming from and go from there.
Did this already without being able to locate the noise, but i will try it again.

When we checked for the wheel bearing we rocked the wheel back and forth and no play in the steering or suspension system was visible or noise to hear.
It sounds more like something swinging around and hitting the frame or body panels.

Chris

OP
OP
CostaRam

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
- Also check ur body mounts-

I went yesterday to the dealership to check the noise and finally they discovered that one body mount became loose and created the noise.

All fine now and my truck rides silent above the potholes as before!

Chris