Speedometer "skipping" issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H-fletch94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey guys! I have a 2014 ram 1500 black express 4x4 with the hemi 8 speed auto and have owned the truck from new since August of 2014. Like the title states I'm having a problem with the speedometer skipping. It only happens when I'm accelerating. I don't have a video or else I'd show y'all what I'm talking about but I'll describe it the best I can.

When I accelerate whether the truck is cold or warm, the speedometer with skip And by that I mean the speedo isn't showing a smooth, constant acceleration. The truck feels fine when I'm accelerating and the RPMs are smooth and constant but The speedo will skip like jumping from 8 mph to 11 mph to 14 mph etc, with it almost pausing between each mph interval and then jumping to the correct speed. The truck isn't throwing any codes so I'm just trouble-shooting here. I'd prefer to not take it to the dealer if it's a problem that can be easily solved.

I have a friend who knows a good amount about cars and suggested it might be my accelerator pedal position sensor but wasn't very sure.

Has anyone else had this issue? How did you solve it or could someone point me in the direction to a thread to a similar issue.

Thank you

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have the premium cluster with the 7" screen or the base cluster? Does it happen every time you accelerate?

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
One company I used to work for had Dodge Avengers, and one if them did the exact same thing. The boss didn't really seem to care when we told him, so we just dealt with it.

You may take it in and see if they have had any instances of this on other trucks.

OP
OP
H-fletch94

H-fletch94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It's not the 7 inch cluster but the 3 inch (non-premium?) cluster. Yes for the most part it almost always happens when I accelerate. Every once in a blue moon it'll act normal. I'm going to have to take the truck in for the two recalls I received in the mail but was curious if the problem could be solved easily.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You try hitting the dash?? Hammer??

Just kidding dont do that.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a friend who knows a good amount about cars and suggested it might be my accelerator pedal position sensor but wasn't very sure....
I can almost guarantee that it is NOT the pedal position sensor. Bad speed sensor or cluster maybe. Good thing for bumper to bumper warranties.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I thought this was normal. If you accelerate quickly enough, you are "outpacing" the computer.

Over simplification, but it gets my point across: the computer only checks your speed sensor so often. For the sake of argument, lets say its every second. If you accelerate at 2 MPH per second, the screen will skip. Computer checks... you're at 15 MPH. One second later, it checks again, you're at 17 MPH. So that is what it displays, 15, 17, 19, etc. You may just be outpacing the computers "sampling" rate of your speed, hence the skipping. I've seen this in other computer-related situations, assumed that was what was happening with the truck. Granted, I do have the larger 7" cluster screen, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Someone yell at me if I am crazy and my truck broken. :) Its smooth if I accelerate at a "regular" pace.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you talking about the needle or the digital display? If it's the needle speedometer, that's not normal. If it's the digital display, that is normal.

OP
OP
H-fletch94

H-fletch94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sorry I should have been more specific, it's not the display but the needle.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Does it happen only when it is really hot or cold outside? If the cluster needles where pressed in to close or at an angle, sudden ambient temperature swings can cause a needle to stick or drag due to material expansion or contraction.

Either way, sounds like a warranty issue to let the dealer mess with.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i think a video clip needs to be show, i'd really like to see this happening on video to geta better idea.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just take it to the dealer. Your friend is way off with his pedal sensor guess. It is likely a cluster problem. Go get a price on a new cluster and you will likely be less reluctant to use your warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H-fletch94

H-fletch94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Alright, so I talked to the dealer and I have an appointment for January 4th for the recalls and speedometer issue. Hopefully they'll be able to do something about it. I'll update when I find out more about it.

Mxjosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same issue but mine is a 2010 (different cluster). I looked into it for a while and found that some trucks that were originally from Canada (Kph) have the cluster swapped when imported to the US (mph) and seem to have the issue. Sure enough, my truck was originally from Canada. I purchased my truck used from a dealer though, not new. Did you purchase yours new if its a 2014?

I still have not found a clear explanation as to what exactly causes the issue though, but maybe this points you in the right direction.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue but mine is a 2010 (different cluster). I looked into it for a while and found that some trucks that were originally from Canada (Kph) have the cluster swapped when imported to the US (mph) and seem to have the issue. Sure enough, my truck was originally from Canada. I purchased my truck used from a dealer though, not new. Did you purchase yours new if its a 2014?

I still have not found a clear explanation as to what exactly causes the issue though, but maybe this points you in the right direction.
It says you have deleted the video. Did you upload a naughty one by mistake ?
Alright guys I managed to get a video of my problem. I don't start accelerating until 15-16 secs in the video btw. Let me know if there is a problem with the link, I'm not very computer savy.

Weird Speedo Activity Video by Holden_Fletcher | Photobucket

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H-fletch94

H-fletch94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
woah that is weird, idk what happened. The link worked yesterday when I posted it but now its saying that the videosin my photobucket have been deleted including all the pictures I had uploaded on different occasions and i haven't been logged in since yesterday. Sorry for the inconvenience I'll try to figure out whats wrong.